Front Squat form check

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
it looks like you are squatting on top pf your legs instead of between them. work on doing some goblet squats to teach you to go down between.

your arch looks good but it seems like you are bent over quite a bit then i look at your knees and they dont go forward much on these. for front squats i am all about dropping the hips straight down, keeping the torso upright. this will cause the knees to go past your toes and IMO that is ok. just look at olympic lifters. the front squat all the time with their knees going past their toes. and they dont have knee problems.

your toes seem to be pointing out a bit wide and your knees seem to be pointing inward in relation to them. hard to tell if im right with that camera angle.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
and they dont have knee problems.
They have plenty of knee problems, lol, but that's beside the point. I agree with your assessment, though. With front squats you really want to take them far lower than you're doing so - indeed this wouldn't even be squatting to parallel if you were back squatting. If you're a person thhat's really tight, that is not limber, one of the advantages of front squatting is that for where the weight is you can usually go deeper than a back squat since your body doesn't tighten up so much. In fact, there's an article all about it published on AM yesterday. It's an article on squatting, go check it out.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was upright as much as I could be. My butt sticks out. You have to realize I've been flat footed probably my whole life, so my pelvis is probably tilted forward. I just got the right shoes and insoles about a month ago.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok....

On the first video, your last rep looked the deepest. They were not below parallel, but it is a start. Everything else looked good from that angle and what I saw, although I agree with asooney - push your knees way out to the side to allow your pelvis and torso to clean in order to go lower.

On the second video - keep your elbows up. Your upper arms should always be parallel to the floor.

The final video with no weight looked good. As your hip mobility improves, so will your front squat and you ability to achieve a greater depth. Right now, I would focus on getting to the depth you were in the final squat in the first video, and the depth of the last video. Also, focus heavily on working to improve mobility via active mobility drills both as a warm up and also as an active recovery spaced about 1 or 2 days following squat day.

Br

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your hips are way to tight to squat. Your hips need to drop back before your knees bend. Look up joe defrancos agile 8 and do it before every leg session and everyday. Front squat with a clean grip, stretch ur wrists ect if you have to. Get flat shoes like chucks or oly shoes made for front/high bar back squating. Strengthen your lower back and hamstrings. None of your vids are parallel either, when the crease of the hip drops below the knee joint is below parallel and when they are even it is parallel.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your hips are way to tight to squat. Your hips need to drop back before your knees bend. Look up joe defrancos agile 8 and do it before every leg session and everyday. Front squat with a clean grip, stretch ur wrists ect if you have to. Get flat shoes like chucks or oly shoes made for front/high bar back squating. Strengthen your lower back and hamstrings. None of your vids are parallel either, when the crease of the hip drops below the knee joint is below parallel and when they are even it is parallel.
If you've read any of his posts you'll see he supposedly has a foot condition and has to wear special shoes because of it, so chucks are out for now. But your other suggestions are all great, as a Zir Red's.

Derick, I much preferred your form on the second video, so work on getting there. Also work on these mobility drills SweetLou suggested. Lastly, I think you're thrusting your hips forward at the top of the squat. Don't do that, just "straighten" your legs out at the top to the point that you're stable (like get in a position you could hold the weight for 3 minutes), and that's sufficient. You should want to maintain good form at all times.

I like your dedication and your seeking of constructive criticism to help you out. Keep up the good work.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Can you guys provide a link for these mobility drills? Thanks and thank you guys for your help. Also I would guess this is because I have severe over pronation, but when I squat down without the bar just to stretch out I notice when I go atg at the bottom my knees want to come in even with these shoes that are designed to prevent that. I mean I don't think it'll be a problem if I go slightly above atg, it's just something I've noticed.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you guys provide a link for these mobility drills? Thanks and thank you guys for your help. Also I would guess this is because I have severe over pronation, but when I squat down without the bar just to stretch out I notice when I go atg at the bottom my knees want to come in even with these shoes that are designed to prevent that. I mean I don't think it'll be a problem if I go slightly above atg, it's just something I've noticed.

Thats due to tight adductors and weak abductors. The mobility drills by defranco in conjunction with monster walks and other ABD work will help that.

And I too admire your dedication and seeking of help.

Br

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Ok I found this site
http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1298.cfm
I am unable to do the "split squat" with shoes anyway. Without the shoes with over pronation my knees are going to roll inward so I hope I can skip this stretch and do the others. Also I can't do the stretches with the bands but not because I physically can't do them I just need to get a pair of bands.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those are ok, look up defranco's hip mobility warm up

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes...will improve both. Mobility is a wonderful thing

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
should I do these stretches twice daily or is once enough?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use them as part of your warm up prior to training and on off days for active recovery. Do static stretches following your training or later in the evening.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
So looking at the videos it seem like I'm doing ok lower body wise but upper body wise I'm off.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You need to learn to stay more upright when you front squat. Try getting a huge belly full of air before you unrack. Contract your whole body and keep tight. Lead with your chest, chest up the whole time. Spead the floor so your hips open up. Get a stronger back.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You need to learn to stay more upright when you front squat. Try getting a huge belly full of air before you unrack. Contract your whole body and keep tight. Lead with your chest, chest up the whole time. Spead the floor so your hips open up. Get a stronger back.
My chest was up the whole time. I was thinking maybe if my arms were up higher it may help. I might try a cross arm grip. Would a cross arm grip help me stay more upright, if I can get my arms up higher with said grip? I havn't tried a cross grip. I think that is what is happening. Look at the videos, my arms are not high enough which kind of makes me pivot forward. My chest was up the whole time, or atleast I was trying to have my chest up it felt like it was up to me. I am having trouble having my arms higher with this grip.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That looked better, to use the clean grip you prob need more flexibilty in your wrists.

aceroni

Awards
go lower, stop thrusting your hips forward.. Id even suggest to not lock out at the top cause it seems like your bobbing around hard.. Unless its your camera..

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
go lower, stop thrusting your hips forward.. Id even suggest to not lock out at the top cause it seems like your bobbing around hard.. Unless its your camera..
Yeah on the third set or maybe the second with the clean grip you can tell I became aware and did that less for that set.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That looks really good. Elbows are up, torso is vertical. Your last rep on the first video was the lowest, and was right around parallel.

In the second vid the first rep it looked like you shifted forward on your feet, but everyone there after was good.

As you increase mobility and strength, you'll be able to get deeper and deeper. Currently you are a few degrees short of femoral parallel. That aside, looks good though, a big improvement.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks good. You are progressing, which is great.

Next step is to improve calf (specifically the soleus) flexibility that way you can push your knees further forward.

I noticed in the final video that your feet seem to rock: ie. As you bring the weight down you lift your toes off the floor. Try to keep your foot flat, with the weight evenly spread out between the heel and the mid/forefoot. By gaining calf flexibility and equal wieght distribution in the foot, you'll be able to push your knees further forward (while keeping proper weight distribution on the foot), allowing you to go deeper while still maintaining an upright position.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think Derick hired a lookalike for those latest vids because they look so different from the ones in the first post.

But seriously, good progress there.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I think Derick hired a lookalike for those latest vids because they look so different from the ones in the first post.

But seriously, good progress there.
Yeah, my knees are thanking me too.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Looks good. You are progressing, which is great.

Next step is to improve calf (specifically the soleus) flexibility that way you can push your knees further forward.

I noticed in the final video that your feet seem to rock: ie. As you bring the weight down you lift your toes off the floor. Try to keep your foot flat, with the weight evenly spread out between the heel and the mid/forefoot. By gaining calf flexibility and equal wieght distribution in the foot, you'll be able to push your knees further forward (while keeping proper weight distribution on the foot), allowing you to go deeper while still maintaining an upright position.

Br
A lot of times, as I squat down I point my toes up to put more pressure on the heel. Sometimes if I don't point my toes up it feels like my body wants to lean forward. It felt strange when I first got these shoes, now it feels incredible difficult to squat without them, there is no wonder I used to have knee pain. I just hope these brand of shoes/insoles can hold up when my squat numbers get higher.