Quick Squat Question

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Hey All,

Hoping you can clarify (or otherwise) my thoughts here.

I think my squat form is pretty good - feet bit wider than shoulder width, toes point out, knees stay out, sit back with the hips first, back straight, upper body tight, etc. etc.

I Deadlift on a Tuesday - Squat on a Thursday.

But now I'm starting to Deadlift and squat heavier (closer to my max's) I found my lower back starts to hurt during the squats.

Not bad pain, but worn out pain if you get what I mean. Like my back gives out before my legs - robbing me of a good leg workout.

Thinking of moving led day to a Friday to give an extra day between Deads and Squats.

Good idea??

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes it is best to have them as far apart as possible IME.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea.... if your squat is getting in the higher ranges i'd say spread them apart... If you're going for all out numbers rotate them weekly, but if your looking for muscle stim then perhaps the 3-4 days rest will be suffice. But 1 day inbetween.. .that's pretty close imo.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Are you wearing a back belt? Being completely serious, and kind of obvious, they definitely help a ton with my back getting tired. You can get decent ones for around $20 at most sport stores.

shane7777

Awards
Or try a heavy/light approach. Heavy deads, lighter squat then reverse it next time. Having back problems myself ,this has let me do both lifts only days apart with no worries.

nergy

Awards
belts is a good accessory, but do not take the cheapest one.
I do deadlift 3 days after my squats session and it's all good so yeah, take a longer break between squats and deadlifts + add some streches for lower back glutes and hamstring, it helped me a lot.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't consistently squat and pull at that high of an intensity. Maybe, maybe do it once a month in the >90% range, but that's it and deload the week afterwards.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I'd try to program it so that you have 2 days in between the 2 days. Additionally, you may consider squatting on your first leg day then deadlifting on your second. The lower back muscles should only be playing a supportive role in the squat, so they shouldn't be taxed at the end of it. When you deadlift later in the week you'll be much fresher. I think depending on how heavy you're lifting and how experienced of a lifter you are, deadlifts can be pretty taxing on the lower back. But anyways, I'd say tues/fri looks better than tues/thurs.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Yep I think I will try swapping leg day and back day.

I am squatting sets of 8-12 reps of about 190lb

I am deadlifting sets of 1-3 of 260 - 350lb

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can always look into a west side approach

Squat/dead days like such:

Speed/Reps
Reps/max effort
Max effort/ Speed

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can always look into a west side approach

Squat/dead days like such:

Speed/Reps
Reps/max effort
Max effort/ Speed

Br
This.

The conjugate system is the superior system for strength.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This.

The conjugate system is the superior system for strength.
how often to you pull deads on this? IIRC the standard WSBB doesn't have a deadlift day. The main reason why I didn't really adapt it yet.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how often to you pull deads on this? IIRC the standard WSBB doesn't have a deadlift day. The main reason why I didn't really adapt it yet.
Every 4-6 weeks. I do speed deads every 2-3 weeks, though.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Every 4-6 weeks. I do speed deads every 2-3 weeks, though.
ah, I see. I was always in the assumption too that really good deads come only once a month. Other than that you cant really expect to be pulling that heavy often... too much CNS stress and tendon damage. But I love to DL.... Any suggestion on doing other things? Is SLDL and RDLs a good way to just kinda deadlift w/o explosion? hm... though that's what I like about Deadlifting... meh lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ah, I see. I was always in the assumption too that really good deads come only once a month. Other than that you cant really expect to be pulling that heavy often... too much CNS stress and tendon damage. But I love to DL.... Any suggestion on doing other things? Is SLDL and RDLs a good way to just kinda deadlift w/o explosion? hm... though that's what I like about Deadlifting... meh lol.
Well, conjugate system doesn't even have you full-squat every week. The Good Morning is the most common ME lift in the conjugate system.