Is this a good 3 day split for mass?

rodo123

Awards
Mon- chest, back (8 sets each, 5-8 reps), shoulders and traps (4 sets)
wed-legs
fri-chest, back( 4 sets each) , shoulders, arms

Whatcha guys think. Im 5'8 145.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i think its terrible. and i didnt even get past the upper body, legs, upper body part. your legs are about half the mass of muscle in your body and its getting half the attention. if anything i would do 2 lower body days and 1 upper body day. with squats and deads and all their variations you can easily do enough exercises that will even work the upper body a bit. heck, throw in some weighted carries on those 2 lower body days and you just hammer the upper body at the same time.

this is just my opinion. for mass, volume is what matters. and you should do just enough to stimulate growth but not too much to hinder recovery. if you are just starting out you dont need much to grow therefore you dont need as much volume therefore you can workout muscles much more frequently.

drsquat.com/content/knowledge-base/finding-ideal-training-split

read that to get an idea on how to determine for your body a good split. you might want to try out the rep ranges as well to see if they work for you. you may not want to follow it to a tee. but it can at least show you how some body parts recover very quick and others not so much.

if you are just starting out i have been a fan for a long time of a push/pull split. and not worry so much about upper lower other then just do each every day. here is an example of what you can do:

push: bench, overhead, squat

pull: rows, pullups, deadlift

throw in all the variations of each lift and all the accessory exercises to support those movements you can easily have 100+ exercises to choose from.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
thats more like a 2 day split not a 3 day split. try something like

Mon - Chest, arms
Wed - Back, shoulders
Fri - Legs, Abs

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
If I do a 3 way split, which I do from time to time, its this...

Mon-legs, abs and calves

Wed- chest, delts and tris

Fri- back, bis and abs

I ALWAYS leave 2 days minimum between back and legs, too much crossover between the two. You lower back is easily over trained. I would not even squat and dead 2 days apart...if I did deads on Friday I would not do back squats the coming Monday.

NuclearLaunch

NuclearLaunch

Awards
For mass do two days of legs, squats, deadlift, and such lifts increase natural test and free up test in your body, which will lead to more mass.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
For mass do two days of legs, squats, deadlift, and such lifts increase natural test and free up test in your body, which will lead to more mass.
There is zero science showing training related hormone spikes to have any effect at all on size or strength.... BUT there are studies showing your erectors can take 7 days and up to 10 days to recover from a strenuous work out.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
With that said another option for a split, if you keep your volume real low, would be similar to a DC split (though he groups body parts diff). A day 1 work out of legs, back and bis and a day 2 workout of chest, delts and tris. What you do is still train 3 days a week (non consecutive) but alternate workouts. As in Mon day 1, wed day 2, Fri day 1, Mon day 2 wed day 1 Fri day 2 ... Etc... A muscle gets hit once one week and twice the next. It is a great beginner/intermediate routine (or "assisted" routine). I have used that split plenty if times when I was "on". What I also did when it came to back and leg day is squat one workout with now deads or even bent rows that workout and dead the next back and leg day with no squats, front squats or even hack squats.
Peace