proof that you can build a disproportionate upper to lower body

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
olympic male gymnasts. holy ****. especially the guys that compete in the olympic rings.

did you guys happen to see the last guy who went in the medal round of the olympic rings. he had the highest peaked biceps i've ever seen outside guys like ronnie coleman and arnold in the day, crazy stuff. makes me wonder if its got anything to do with his training or just lucky ass genes.

PreMier

PreMier

Awards
Seeing that they only use their upper body in the events that they do(besides floor exercises) I would say training.

Those guys are small btw.. maybe like 140-160lbs is all.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
Seeing that they only use their upper body in the events that they do(besides floor exercises) I would say training.

Those guys are small btw.. maybe like 140-160lbs is all.
no way dude, the guys i'm taking about have to be in the 180 range, with the majority of that mass being upper body.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
My brother was a college gymnast and my parents put me in it when I was 3 until 12. My bro was 6' 1" which is unheard of in gymnastics. Most of them are 5' 3" to 5' 7" and most rarely get over 150. 165 is about the heaviest gymnast I've ever heard of, the more mass, the harder it is to do the skills. They actually do use their legs quite a bit, like on floor and vault and all of the landings from their dismounts, but I would say that they are a little disproportionate in favor of the upper body.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I watched the rings last night & was saying the same thing. I guess they don't rally need their legs for much & it reduces their overall weight, making it easier to do all that balancing crap on the rings & other apparatus.

As muscular as they are, those guys are little suckers. 150lbs tops. Most of them are 5'2"-5'6".

DougMan

Awards
Yea most of them are pretty short, but they looked freaking huge when they are alone on stage. I cant believe some of the things they do on rings. I would think it would tear the crap out of your shoulders.

keith1569

Awards
ya its definately freakin crazy..definately fun to watch thouhg..it just doesnt seem possible some ofthe stuff they do heh..shows what years of training can do for ya

PC1

It is astonishing to watch what they do, they're incredibly focused and well trained.

Remember also that along with their hard work and dedication, the top gymnasts, like all top atheletes, have the superior genetics. Most people, even if they put that amount of time and energy into trying to do that, will have limited success.

The best are the ones who have it all, genetics, discipline, focus, diet, etc.

PastorofMuppets

Awards
Yeah, about the only guy with a ton of mass was some dude I saw doing the vault from Spain I think.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
You don't have to watch the olympics to know that... Just go to my gym at school and look at all the guys walkin around on getaway sticks! :D

ManBeast

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It is astonishing to watch what they do, they're incredibly focused and well trained.

Remember also that along with their hard work and dedication, the top gymnasts, like all top atheletes, have the superior genetics. Most people, even if they put that amount of time and energy into trying to do that, will have limited success.

The best are the ones who have it all, genetics, discipline, focus, diet, etc.
Yeah, when my bro competed in college he trained about 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, year round (Xmas eve, and all). At the time, I was about 30-35 pounds heavier than him and he could eat almost twice as much as I did. They burn an incredible amount of calories.

Him and the guys on his team were constantly injured. He had surgery at least 2 or 3 times during his 4 years.

He used to compete against Paul and Morgan Hamm when he was 12-18. At the time, Paul was tiny, and I recall my dad saying that he wouldn't be that great once he grew and had to work with more mass. Guess that prediction was a little off. It's a sport you have to start before the age of 7 or so to be any good at usually.

Oh, and he definitely had/has stick legs.

It's a great sport, though.

JerseyDevil

Awards
I saw Katie Couric interview the US Mens team, and SHE made them look small.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
If you look closely most of the male gymnasts have surgery scares on their delts. They definitely push into the realm of overtraining like most olympians.

This olympics is making me think about getting a set of rings to do some basic exercises with(nothing fancy or dangerous). It looks like the ultimate shoulder workout.

That Italian guy last night was freakin incredible on the high bar. No way Hamm's score should have been tied with his. The judges were wacked but it was not cool for people to blame Hamm. He's just there to do his thing.

Redspy

Board Supporter
Awards
That Italian guy last night was freakin incredible on the high bar. No way Hamm's score should have been tied with his. The judges were wacked but it was not cool for people to blame Hamm. He's just there to do his thing.
Here he is...

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
www.crossfit.com may have some rings exercises listed somewhere. I remember seeing this one, the 'muscle up' a while ago: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/muscle-up_loyd.wmv

If you look closely most of the male gymnasts have surgery scares on their delts. They definitely push into the realm of overtraining like most olympians.

This olympics is making me think about getting a set of rings to do some basic exercises with(nothing fancy or dangerous). It looks like the ultimate shoulder workout.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Sweet, thanks INTV.

Now I too can become even more disproportionate! JK. Got some catching up to do on my legs right now. GVT baby!