Bigger Biceps

LastResort04

Awards
One thing on my body no matter how hard i lift that never seems to get any bigger is my biceps. I've been lifting for years and it seems like my biceps only get ripped up, never get bigger. My chest, shoulders, n back will get huge and i'll have these little strings hanging from my sleeves. Please gimme some tips... Need help

AnabolicFrenz

Awards
You may be overtraining them which is very common. What does your arm routine look like, how often do you train your biceps?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deadlifts (seriously), and replace on of your arm workouts for seated barbell curls. You can lift heavier like this due to limited range of motion, and use your legs to help you cheat out a couple more reps.
Also helps to wrap towels around the bar for a bigger grip, or buy Jay Cutler's Fat Gripz.

LastResort04

Awards
Already do the seated barbell curls. Dont do much deadlifting though.. bad back but i'll def start to work more of those in my routine.

I usually only do biceps one day a week due to the amount of time i can spend in the gym anymore but i'm pushing that to two days a week now.

I usually just do an arm day n combine bi's n tri's. Workout looks like this:

Standing curls
Hammers
Preacher curl
Seated Curls
Cable rope (pop the wrists out at the top)
tri's:
Eyeballs
Cable rope
Cable V Bar
Machine backward bi's
Straight bar outside bi's ^^

I'll do a back workout the next day... Should i move this around since you use bi's on your back workouts?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can almost guarantee if your body sees the switch up your arms will grow. I never used to do bi's on back day but when I switch it up they respond well. I lower my exercises to three sets though (the 3rd being a high rep pump workout for 2 sets) because your bi's are already being worked with most back movements. Doing pullups you can squeeze the bi's at the top, bent over rows, seated cable rows, etc etc. Aim for 10 reps and 3 or 4 sets for each bi workout. That should do the trick as long as your diet is in check, otherwise you're just going to tone them more.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And if you do this, you can move tri's to chest day, pre-exhausting your tri's only means more focus during chest work, or switch them to shoulder or leg day.

LastResort04

Awards
So just keep a one day a week bi workout out regardless if i keep an arm day or switch it to bi's n back n tri's n chest? shoulders / legs?

What should my daily protein intake be? I'm getting about 225 right now. Should i up it to about 300? 350?

Silent muscle

Silent muscle

Awards
i would just work on your triceps mainly because the biceps are only 1/3 of the arm the tricep has the long head in the back the lateral in the middle and the medial in the front closest to the elbow the bicep has the bicep bracii then just the brachialis behind it. drop sets with no rest are what i am doing. i use to be really obsessed with arms then i forgot about them due to the stress of them never growing as fast as i wanted and i focused on all other body parts and my arms grew so i think you should focus on getting bigger all over instead of just your arms. i also noticed you are six feet tall and 180 pound you need allot more weight pure muscle not fat and your arms will get big trust me i am 5,7 192 and i dont know if you follow any pro bodybuilders but most are around my height and weigh 220 to a close 300 pounds and ripped lol that is why they have 20 inch guns all that muscle, so focus on gaining pure muscle, measure your arms now take pics then try to get to 200 pounds as a goal and measure them and compare it will take some time but thats what training is all about.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could fit a quick bi/tri day in if you are feeling recovered.
How much do you weigh? If you're getting 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight you should be fine, and it doesn't hurt to go over that. Gotta make sure that's on par with your fat and carb intake too, maybe a 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat ratio. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it though as long as you're eating healthy and getting your protein in.

LastResort04

Awards
Ya silent i'm trying to pack on some weight but the eating right part is difficult. All the good things your supposed to eat to pack on weight are hard to eat all the time n i'm pretty picky when it comes to things like cottage cheese. I work 12 hours a day so that doesnt help either.

I'm 180 lbs flex , so i'll probably up it a bit then.

Thanks guys.

Silent muscle

Silent muscle

Awards
if you have a hard time eating allot or fitting in time for meals try desiccated liver tablets its an old school bodybuilding supp i heard of look it up and drink more weight gainer type shakes

AnabolicFrenz

Awards
Eat more eggs! I will buy a couple dozen and hard boil them all at one time then eat them as a snack on the go. Uni-Liver tabs from Universal Nutrition is great too for on the go quality protein. Try doing some deep stretches of your bis and tris after you are done working them. If you have never done it before you will notice a difference.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Something that helped me was doing biceps after back training. When you train the back, you're already using the biceps to a great degree, the only thing that's lacking is the full range of motion training.

So after you've done your back work, do your biceps. They'll already be very warmed up but I would suggest doing a light warm-up set of full range of motion work before you really get started.

You don't really need to do high volume here, just a few sets is all you really need because remember, your biceps have already done a lot of work. I usually find that 2-4 full range of motion sets is all I need, I don't achieve any better results with more than that and any more could be counterproductive. And yeah, that's right, 2-5 TOTAL sets for biceps. Say you want to do 4 sets... You can pick two biceps exercises and do 2 sets of each, or one exercise and do 4 sets, or even 4 different exercises at 1 set each. Really it's whatever you want. I find that keeping things varied is the best way to go rather than sticking to the same exercises and set orders every workout.

You will want to often do heavy sets (doing an exercise that lets you use the heaviest weight for curling movements, such as barbell curls). Not necessarily every time you train biceps, but at least every other time.

I'm not a naturally large framed guy, but my biceps are very nice for my build (naturally, I'm a skinny dude but years of training put mass on an otherwise small frame). Here's an example of a few workouts I would do for biceps....

Workout 1 (Whenever you did back)
- Do a light, full range of motion warm-up set with whatever biceps exercise you want
2 sets of incline DB curls x 8-10 reps
2 sets of preacher curls x 8-10 reps

Workout 2 (The next time you did back training)
- Warm-up
SUPERSET: Barbell Curls x 8-10 reps, then immediately after your last rep, bend over into a rowing stance and do some underhand rows (Usually if you pick a barbell curl weight that allows 8-10 reps, you can usually do at least 8-10 of these if not more, but you don't necessarily have to do a ton of reps, even if you could... So after the curls, I usually just do another 8-10 underhand rows).
..... The point here is to let the biceps work at full capacity doing full range of motion sets and then once the biceps can no longer do any more strict reps, you bend over and start doing underhand rows. Yes, the back is going to be doing work now (though the weight you would use for 8-10 barbell curls would probably be easy to row with) but the biceps are going to be in a position to keep working. The back is essentially helping the biceps but the biceps are continuing to work as hard as possible. So in that rowing stance, with that underhand grip, really pull the weight into your gut making it a point to focus on the biceps. This is my favorite biceps superset.

Workout 3 (That next back workout)
- Warm-up
1 set of Alternating DB curls x 8-10 reps
1 set of Incline DB curls x 8-10 reps
1 set of One-Arm preacher DB curls x 8-10 reps (each arm)
1 set of Concentration curls x 8-10 reps

Really, I could write out another 20 biceps workouts revolving around a 4 set maximum. Keep it varied, work the biceps from different angles, and just make sure to throw in some heavy work every once in a while (mostly revolving around barbell curls, which let you use the most weight).

* Try flexing the biceps some between sets. Learned that from Arnold and honestly there's something to it. After a set just flex the arms for 10-15 seconds and you'll keep that blood (i.e., pump) going stronger. After all your biceps sets, flex the arms for 60 seconds and then stretch them out well.

P.S. - Don't forget than chin-ups (palms facing you) are a great biceps exercise. Not something I do often, but nice exercise to switch it up with. Try doing them weighted and really concentrate on squeezing the biceps at the peak of the movement.

Quality back training and development leads to quality biceps. The trick is to give the biceps just enough extra work to benefit them rather than doing too much because you think a lot of arm work leads to nice arms. That's not to say you won't see some dudes doing tons and tons of arm work and developing nice looking arms, but for most people less leads to more.

LastResort04

Awards
Thats alot buddy. So do back n bi's and only once a week correct?

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
So just keep a one day a week bi workout out regardless if i keep an arm day or switch it to bi's n back n tri's n chest? shoulders / legs?

What should my daily protein intake be? I'm getting about 225 right now. Should i up it to about 300? 350?
I only hit my biceps or other parts one time a week 2 MAX and thats uncommon for me to hit any 2 X.

doing tries dont count as a bicep Workout, so i would not worry. just focus one day a week to them and no more.
going about 40min-1hr on them heavy, no more them 7-8 doable reps and usualy 3 angls/workouts for them.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
you have tons of good advice here so I am not going to give any more but I will say make sure you keep accurate measurements about once a month or once every two months. This way you can look back on your training and see what actually made your arms grow. I started to do this and it is very motivating because it reminds you of your goals.

Solomon1

Solomon1

Awards
I thinks the dumbbell exercise for the biceps are the best to gain the size of the biceps,.
And use more weight to gain the size,.

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
Do forced reps..ex: on preacher curl 1 arm at a time (DB) do ur set and when at failure use arm not being used to force urself to finish rep do this 3 times at the end of each set.check out muscle and fitness raw w/ Dr. jim stoppani......... also try some eccentric movements- w barbell perform curl and when at top go down slowly with someone pushing down on the weight and resist them till you cant anymore then repeat.

Loryan12

Awards
Noob question I am sure but why would difference in grip widths effect change in biceps? Or any lift for that matter?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I believe a grip wider than shoulder width targets more of the inner bicep while a narrow grip targets more outer bicep with a neutral grip balancing out the two.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I think different grips makes a little difference. I mean, it's nothing drastic or anything. The key is to make sure you're doing strict, full range of motion work rather than just heaving heavy barbells around. Think of the muscle, not the weight.

Houndoom57

Houndoom57

Awards
I have the exact same problem. The last 3 weeks i've been dead lifting and i've definitely noticed a difference.

sniper80

sniper80

Awards
chin ups and dips on gymnastic rings bro. Your arms will be small no more

sniper80

sniper80

Awards
I have low testosterone and still I have managed to put over a inch on my arms since incorporating rings into my workout

sniper80

sniper80

Awards
Bought them online and hung them in my garage. My friend has them in his apt. U can even hang them from trees or playground equipment at parks. Most crossfit gyms have them to along with ropes to climb.

bulk up man

Awards
One thing on my body no matter how hard i lift that never seems to get any bigger is my biceps. I've been lifting for years and it seems like my biceps only get ripped up, never get bigger. My chest, shoulders, n back will get huge and i'll have these little strings hanging from my sleeves. Please gimme some tips... Need help

I find that overhead presses, military presses and lat pull down grow my biceps. I also do squats. I hardly ever do curls. Big compound exercises grow the biceps oddly enough.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Anyone have any experience with "cheat curls"? I hear that because the weight is so heavy that when you're lowering it, it really works your biceps....

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
So far for me i'm seeing really good response in my shoulders/arms from more frequently training them in the 10-20 rep range 4-5 sets. Ironically for me my arms/shoulders need MORE volume to grow instead of "1 all out heavy set" Starting to realize that some muscles just need to be stimulated for more sets and more frequent (calves/forearms PERFECT example) to grow. It does take longer to do workouts but hey it works and that's what's important.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Anyone have any experience with "cheat curls"? I hear that because the weight is so heavy that when you're lowering it, it really works your biceps....
I've tried them it didn't work too well for me :\

combat_action

combat_action

Awards
I wrote a good article a short while ago for Elitefts that might help you garner some ideas (or not).

Guess I can't post links LOL. Google "Neophytes: A Call To Arms" and click on the top Elitefts one.

Skyline310

Awards
Maybe you need to change arm routine Or integrate one of there for a change
Spider curls
Concentration curls
Reverse curls
One arm preacher curls
Also form has to do a lot with bicep growth

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The point of these is to use a little extra upmh from your back and legs to get the weight up once your biceps are too tired to continue doing strict reps. So though you're using extra muscles to get the weight up, your still making your biceps work hard. So despite the word "cheat" it actually makes it killer for your biceps.

I've tried these before but honestly I prefer going from a barbell curl straight to a bent over underhand row position (especially if you work biceps on back day, or even if you don't). This way, you're using back muscles to help lift the weight but your biceps will still be engaged. Try it and you'll love it.

TheMaharaja

Awards
i squeeze my bis at the top of the movement. also, i dont let my arms lock into a resting position - maintaining tension on the bis has been helpful for me. probably already been said...

GTB

Awards
And if you do this, you can move tri's to chest day, pre-exhausting your tri's only means more focus during chest work, or switch them to shoulder or leg day.
I can vouch for your suggestion. I just switched up my workout to chest/tri's , back /bi's, and I am sore as sh**, and the pumps are great. I wish I had done it sooner. You may also try using a different excersie to start each workout. For example if you always start your chest with flat bench, try hitting incline db first.It has worked well for me anyway.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Bought them online and hung them in my garage. My friend has them in his apt. U can even hang them from trees or playground equipment at parks. Most crossfit gyms have them to along with ropes to climb.
What kind of workouts do you do with your rings? When I first got mine... dips were brutal! Can definitely tell there is a lot of core work in dips.

PS - To whoever said rings arent very accessible... I made a pair of my own per online instructions since normal ones are so expensive. Cost me like 15 bucks

So far for me i'm seeing really good response in my shoulders/arms from more frequently training them in the 10-20 rep range 4-5 sets. Ironically for me my arms/shoulders need MORE volume to grow instead of "1 all out heavy set" Starting to realize that some muscles just need to be stimulated for more sets and more frequent (calves/forearms PERFECT example) to grow. It does take longer to do workouts but hey it works and that's what's important.
Seems to be the same way for me Thetinyguy. I have been training heavy weight low reps or full body workouts for the last few years and I switched it up to a workout that has 30+ sets on some body parts but still pushing heavy weight... and while I would expect to be overtraining... my biceps have grown .25-.5 inches in the last month... (having trouble finding my old measurement but it was either 16" or 15.75" and as of 2 days ago my right arm was "16.25". ) and i've almost never been able to put size on my bi's. So its doing something right... but I expect to have to take a break or change workouts again soon

Edit: My workout also includes power partial reps and triple dropsets on arm days

sniper80

sniper80

Awards
I do pull ups, dips, l sit pull ups, bulgarian dips, support holds. I try to vary my sets alot. 8-10 sets of 3 or 4 reps with extra weight then the usual 3 to 4 sets of 10.

sniper80

sniper80

Awards
Rack chins are good. I like to do them in between squats.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Standing curls are the way to go. Barbell curls and standing hammers. I would also have to see what you are currently lifting weight wise too.

SR9Ruger

Awards
If your wanting your arms to get bigger you need to start worrying more about your triceps rather than biceps. Biceps are made up of predominately slow twitch muscle fibers which tend to develop slower. I'm not saying to disregard the bicep muscle; I would just give more attention to your triceps.