total body workouts

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
As a general rule,
If I was able to workout every other day doing a total body workout (or at least, triceps, biceps, chest, back, shoulders), does that probably mean I am not working out hard enough?

I seem to recover quick enough that I could work out again 48 hours later.

I am just uncertain if I should only be working out each muscle group twice weekly. I am also uncertain if I am doing each muscle group hard enough.

I am never certain when I can get to gym since I work sometimes changing hours as a veterinarian, so I get worried about doing a split workout routine and missing certain muscle groups.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Post your rutine with number of reps and sets.

I used to do full body workouts but after certain time your body will need more recovery time at tha point it would be better to do splits.

Are you concentrating on compound movements? deadlifts,squats,pull ups,bench etc...?

If you are new to lifting its perfectly normal to recover in 48 hours.

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
Here is a sampling of the exercises I pull from. I do not do all of them each time, but wanted to give you an idea of what I am trying to get comfortable doing. Because of the shoulder injury I can't do pull ups, exercises like military press (that was actually how I dislocated the shoulder the 5th time), and I am starting off slower on squats using dumbbells instead. Deadlifts i'll try to incorporate in future. I think my core is still weak and developing and don't want to get injured doing them incorrectly.

CHEST

Bench Press 2 sets of 8
Machine Press 3 sets of 8
Decline dumbbell press 2 sets of 10
Machine Flyes 203 sets of 10 (not every time if tired from above)

BICEPS
Standing Barbell Curls 1-2 sets of 6-7 after I have done 3 sets of 7-8 reps of DB curls
Standing DB Curls
Standing Hammer Curls 1-2 sets of 6-7

SHOULDERS
Lateral Raises 2 sets of 10
Bent-over lateral raises 3 sets of 10
Front raises 2 sets of 8-10

BACK
One arm dumbbell row 2 sets of 10 (doing lighter weight for shoulder)
Shrugs 2 sets of 8
Wide-Grip lateral pulldown 2 sets of 8
Seated Cable Rows 3 sets of 10 (also a little lighter to protect not overextending shoulder)
Glute Bridges (haven't started)

TRICEPS
Pulley Pushdowns 2-3 sets of 10
Assisted Dips (haven't started yet)
Machine Tricep Extension or Skull Crushers (2-3 sets of 8)

LEGS
Forward Dumbbell lunge
Dumbbell squats
Standing Heel Raises
Machine Leg Extension
Machine Hamstring Curl
Leg Press
Fairly tired from upper body workout so only getting in about 2-3 sets of 8-10 of the DB lunges and squats.

Almost every morning I try to do ab's at home:
2 minutes of front plank and of each side
3 sets of 10 of leg lifts
2-3 sets of 20 bicycle crunches

Thanks for any advice
Yes, I am quite new. Started slowly about 6 weeks ago. At first I could barely do 30-40 pounds of pulley pushdowns. Now I can do about 70-80.

Biceps. Barely could do a few sets of 20. Now I can do about 6-8 reps at 30 and 32.5

Chest. I little nervous with no spotter. Barely could do 105. Now 2 sets of 145 at about 8 reps

Seated cable row not over 90 and currently 115 and could do more.

just wanted to post some #'s so you'll know where I am at

Thanks

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
If you are new, you should look into the "starting strength" program. Everything is laid out for you.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
If you are at that stage strength wise you probably can train 3Xs a week with a very basic routine. If you want to train that often I would recommend something like this:

Monday and Friday -everything done for 2 sets of 6-12 after warm up.

Flat bench
Rows (db or BB)
Delt ex (I would recommend you play around with every machine and db type of press you can for high reps over time to see if you can find one that's pain free, if not then just do laterals)
Curls (whatever you like)
Dips
Squats Monday, deads Friday.

Wednesday sets same as Monday

Incline bench-BB or db
Pull overs -see if you can find a pullover machine but if not then db pullovers (strict... Lock your elbows at 10-15* and don't change it)
Laterals
Over head ext
Curls
Leg ext and leg curls. No heavy squats or deads. Give lower back a break.

Throw in abs as you like ....oh and end each w.o. with single leg calf raises

That's it.

Rotate exs as much as you want, for shoulder health over time you want to hit as many angles as you can on your pressing and pulling exs....Even if sometimes you have to go lt and even train super slow on an ex. I know the volume will seem low to you but if you want to hit bodyparts 3Xs a week you have to keep volume low. As you get larger and stronger you will have to train each body part less often but you will know when that happens... You will be stuck on all major exs for a while... When that happens just reduce the frequency and you should progress again.

Peace.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd add over head presses and pullups to dunhills suggestion. Also, exercises for core and hip/shoulder stability.

Br

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
i don't think it's necessary to throw a complicated program at him, that's what confuses most people just starting out. if he were to focus on the basic compound lifts and graduate from beginner to intermediate then i can see adding in more assistance exercises. The less complicated the program, the more he can concentrate on learning how to lift with good technique.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
i don't think it's necessary to throw a complicated program at him, that's what confuses most people just starting out. if he were to focus on the basic compound lifts and graduate from beginner to intermediate then i can see adding in more assistance exercises. The less complicated the program, the more he can concentrate on learning how to lift with good technique.
I agree... I think my suggested routine was pretty basic. In all honesty the biggest reason I even recommend any ARM work in a routine like this is its pretty hard to convince most people that its not even needed on a basic, compound ex routine. Now for shoulder health you have to include as many angles over time as you can and you have to match any angle you push at with an angle you pull from and visa/versa....i.e. if you only do pulldowns for back and flat benches for chest you are gonna run into imbalances and eventual inpingements and/or injuries.

Now he says he can not do overhead presses or pulldowns so that is gonna cause eventual problems. That's why even if he has to try a hundred exs to find a over head press and pulldown he can so, be should. If he has to he should atleast try to get to the point where he can do a cpl high rep sets of each a week.

Basic is what works with a 3Xs a week program but you have to always keep back and shoulder health in mind.... If not your basic program will only work until you are injured.

alewisdvm

Awards
Thanks for information.
Again, the overhead press, like a military would be impossible.

However, I did think about the pulldowns, and I am actually doing them. I wasn't using the bar, but at 24 hour fitness, I guess it's a lat machine, with a overhead cable to each side, and you pulldown to isolate lats.

Is that the type of pulldown you are referring to?

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Thanks for information.
Again, the overhead press, like a military would be impossible.

However, I did think about the pulldowns, and I am actually doing them. I wasn't using the bar, but at 24 hour fitness, I guess it's a lat machine, with a overhead cable to each side, and you pulldown to isolate lats.

Is that the type of pulldown you are referring to?
If that's what you can do then that's fine for now. I understand what you are saying about the presses but try to see if there is a machine or maybe with DBs.... See if you can just finish your work out with a HIGH rep set to start...hell a lt set of 50 with 10lb DBs is a start.
You really want to work on your shoulder stability if at all possible. Dis you go thru physical therapy after your injury? There are exs you can do to work on your shoulder stability. I can not do any BB over head presses.... I have two torn rotators (not gym related) but I did a ton of exs to rehab and now I can do presses in some machines. I know you want size and basics will build it but you need to do all you can to get your shoulder joint as good as it can be.

Best of luck bro.

alewisdvm

Awards
Thanks
That is why I wanted to start with just some simple, lower weight, high rep front raises, lateral raises, and bent-over.

I forgot the name of it, but its a rotation movement for rotator cuff.

Thanks man for the advice and pointers. This site is awesome.

Yes, several years ago I did go through quite a bit of P.T. Unfortunately, I do have atrophy of the anterior deltoid as a result of neurologic injury. Unsure if it can come back, but never tried to build it up.