leangains training program help

quigley

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone,
I'm embarking on a recomp/cut using leangains IF diet principles.

Current stats:
Age- 22
Height- 191cm
Weight- 205lbs (approx 18-22% bodfat)

Diet consists of 16 hour fast and 8 hour eating window each day. Shooting for 2500-2800 on training days and 1900-2200 on non training days. Moderate carb, high protein, moderate fat on training days, low carb high protein high fat on non training days.

My current problem is developing a suitable training program. This was my first idea.

Day 1: Squats 3 sets 3-5 reps, reverse pyramid style
Calf raises 3 sets 8-12 reps
Military press 3 sets 6-8 reps

Day 3 Bench Press 3 sets 3-5 reps, RP style
Incline dumbell press 2 sets 8-10 reps
Tricep pulldown 3 sets 6-8 reps

Day 5: Deadlift 3 sets 3-5 reps RP style
Chins 3 sets 5-7 reps RP style
Bicep curls, 2 sets 6-8 reps

Some light cardio on non training days.

BUT on arrival to the gym, I noticed there are no FREE barbells outside of the smith machines. Plenty of free dumbells and lightish EZbars but no f*(^&^ free barbells. There is a hammer shrug machine and the smith machine as mentioned, but now it seems I can't do any deadlifts. switching gyms not a possibility (only one near me)

Considering Martin advocates Deadlifts, Chins, BenchPress and Squats as the big 4 exercises to structure your workout around, I'm just not sure how to restructure it now I'm losing one of the main lifts.

Could I potentially switch pullups for the deads? or is doing pullups and chins in the same workout not a good idea?

Any other ideas on how I should structure my workout for a recomp/cut on leangains?

cheers,
nathan

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
There's no free barbells from the benches?

Deadlifts are irreplaceable, IMO...

quigley

Awards
  • Established
There's no free barbells from the benches?

Deadlifts are irreplaceable, IMO...
nope, the gym is full of bloody machines except for a huge selection of dumbells (up to 90lbs), and a smith machine with an inbuilt barbell. I might ask them if I can bring my own lol. But i doubt it.

I agree deadlifts are irreplaceable, but if I can't do them I just need to focus on the next best thing I guess... sucks.

I have heard people do them on the hammer shurg machines.. any thoughts on that?

quigley

Awards
  • Established
I have this machine in the gym, could it be my saviour?

[video=youtube;uyovGMmBNNw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyovGMmBNNw[/video]

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Is the smith vertically or angled? If its vertical you would be much better off doing them in that.

BTW, how are you squating?

quigley

Awards
  • Established
squatting in the smith, seemed to be okay just had to move my feet placement a little further forward than with free weights.

Ah I think the smith machine is vertical... it looks angled but I'm pretty sure the way its set up the bar moves straight up and down. i've heard that deads in the smith are really bad though...

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
squatting in the smith, seemed to be okay just had to move my feet placement a little further forward than with free weights.

Ah I think the smith machine is vertical... it looks angled but I'm pretty sure the way its set up the bar moves straight up and down. i've heard that deads in the smith are really bad though...
Not ideal but.... The hammer shrug is a leverage so its angled anyway. Your smith is either vertical or angled 7*. I would not do deads in the angled one. You should have no problem in the vertical one.

As I said it is not ideal BUT ya do what ya gotta. Oh and feet forward on smith squats is not safe with any real weight. Your ankle joint should be in line with the bar on a vertical smith.

Good luck.

Oh and you can get 300lb Olympic set ,yea a cheap one) for like a 100 bucks if you check the sporting goods flyers.

Deads, rows and curls would work fine for day 5.... In a basement or garage.

quigley

Awards
  • Established
Not ideal but.... The hammer shrug is a leverage so its angled anyway. Your smith is either vertical or angled 7*. I would not do deads in the angled one. You should have no problem in the vertical one.

As I said it is not ideal BUT ya do what ya gotta. Oh and feet forward on smith squats is not safe with any real weight. Your ankle joint should be in line with the bar on a vertical smith.

Good luck.

Oh and you can get 300lb Olympic set ,yea a cheap one) for like a 100 bucks if you check the sporting goods flyers.

Deads, rows and curls would work fine for day 5.... In a basement or garage.
No such luck here in australia I'd be lucky to get a 300lb olympic set for $300 second hand... But i'll look into it if things get desperate and I can't find any deadlift option in the gym I'm at.

Okay so deads in the smith are okay if its vertical? I'm pretty sure our smith is but i'll double check with the club manager anyway.
So you reckon doing the deads in the smith are better than doing them like in that video?

Anyone had experience doing deads in either of these machines?

Cheers,
Nate

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
No such luck here in australia I'd be lucky to get a 300lb olympic set for $300 second hand... But i'll look into it if things get desperate and I can't find any deadlift option in the gym I'm at.

Okay so deads in the smith are okay if its vertical? I'm pretty sure our smith is but i'll double check with the club manager anyway.
So you reckon doing the deads in the smith are better than doing them like in that video?

Anyone had experience doing deads in either of these machines?

Cheers,
Nate
I've done lock outs in it back in the day when I had a pulled hip and couldn't pull from the floor and my gym had no power racks. Almost the same as this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Ar5MOKc-E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Your range will be.shorter than from the floor but they are better than not doing deads at all.

You guys got Craigslist over there? Or use eBay and the classifieds in the paper and on line if you do wanna get any gym equipment. You can always find the basics cheap as hell where ever you live. People are always buying gym equipment that they never use.... Then they sell it after a cpl years...lol... Holiday season is the best time to buy (and rt after the holidays) cause people need money.

Check out the vid if the smith is your only option.

Peace and good luck bro.