guys who have had shoulder surgery come in

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
im about 4 months post surgery. my surgery included the removal of 2 bone spurs and a "massive" chunk of cartilage off the humorous.

i was able to start working out per the drs schedule 2 weeks ago. obviously going light with higher reps. some strange things ive noticed. 1)before surgery i could absolutely not flat bench, even with dbells yet inclines did not bother me one bit. now it seems that flat moves are easier on the shoulder. now i cannot do inclines of any sort no matter the weight. 2) shoulder press- i used to have to go with a very narrow grip to avoid discomfort and now it seems i have to go wide wtf? 3)nothing hurts worse than curls of any sort. im guessing that has a lot to do with that cartilage removed from the humorous.

going to the ortho soon to discuss my progress.

so my ? to you guys. how long after surgery did your shoulder "feel" normal and you were able to lift uninhibited? i know drs give the generic 3 months light lifting and 6 months you're free but what about guys like us that were very strong? how long does it truly take us? ive been told more like a year

drewski6432

Awards
When I torn my infraspinatus and teres minor (two of the muscles that make up your rotator cuff) and my labrum in my left shoulder a couple years back I couldn't lift anything for 6 months and when I started back I could only do light weight/high rep. It Took about a year for me to feel normal again. Overhead exercises put a lot of stress on your shoulder. Just listen to your body, if it hurts then don't do it

biggfoot70

Awards
Well, everyone is different, but for me it took about 3 yrs to really feel like I could lift heavy again on certain exercises. And some I just cant do anymore, such as back squats( cant reach the bar with my left hand behind me), military presses are also a no go now. And I also cant seem to get comfortable doing incline presses with a bb, but I can with dbs. Seated incline curls also seem to bother my shoulder from time to time. Best of luck to you with your recovery.

drrockzo

drrockzo

Awards
I fear I might have a small tear. Whenever I do military presses or even flys sometimes my shoulder will hurt like hell if i go too heavy. But I am taking it easy on it for now because I dont want to have to have a surgery.

SilverBullet7

Awards
never had corrective surgery but did break my shoulder in a few places and it took a good 2-3 months of working out to get back to actually pushing. before no pain in anything. now the wierd thing is decline is impossible...

SilverBullet7

Awards
and even still i need a good loosening up before any lifting