Training routine

W13NY

Awards
Hey guys, ive been doing the same training routine for a long time now.. Not always the same exercises but its always something like back and bis one day, shoulders one day, legs one day, and chest and tris the last day. What would be a good routine to do to continue to gain mass and weight because I am currently on a bulk

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Prefab: 5/3/1 or west side for skinny bastards (WS4SB)

Br

W13NY

Awards
Also if it helps:

Weight 180
Age 19

And ive been training for 3 years so im not a beginner

Thanks in advance

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At 19, you're still pretty much a beginner. I agree with Zir on the WS4SB recommendation.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Also if it helps:

Weight 180
Age 19

And ive been training for 3 years so im not a beginner

Thanks in advance
What kinda stats do you have? I don't consider you a beginner just because of age. At 19 I could bench over 4 and dead 7 so I wasn't a beginner by any means. What's your ht? At 180 are you lean? What I mean is are you 5'8" and 180 with defined abs or are you 6'2" with no visable abs? Are you squating and deading 4+ or are you using 200 for each? If you are in the higher ranges (abs at 5'8" with a 400+ dead and 300 lb bench) I would look into a program like doggcrapp (DC) or Yates "blood and guts" around now. If you are still struggling to get to respectable lifts I think a pretty basic power lifting type program would be fine for you.

W13NY

Awards
Stats:

Squat - 225-250 for reps
Dead - 225 for reps
Bench - (Weak point) 225 max

and im 5'10 with about 11% bf at 180.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I look back at my first 3 years of lifting, and I can say I was a novice. With the exception of someone who is very gifted (both strength and coordination) and training under a knowledgeable coach/trainer, most people are novice during their first 3-5 years of training.

Br

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
With your stats and numbers I would stick to basics big time. It's not your bench that's weak bro, its your deads and squats if you want to add muscle. If I was you or if I was training you I would have you train 3Xs a week. A squat day, day off, a bench day, day off a dead day, couple days off. Mon, wed, Fri or tues, thurs, sat.... One week the squat day would be higher reps and dead day would be building up to a .max 2-4 rep set and the next week I would switch. I would include a cpl assistance exs. On squat day higher rep stiff deads or flute ham raises and calf and ab work, bench day would be mill presses, strict laterals and dips and dead day would be pull downs or ups(depending if you can do .pull ups), rows(cable, BB or hammer low rows) and oblique work.

I would not over think it. Uses the exs that are comfortable (example, if db mill presses are more comfortable than BB just do DBs, if Rv grip pulldowns or parallel grip pulldowns or whatever kind feel best do them for your pull downs).

When you are using 4+ for reps on deads and squats you will look like a diff man.

Don't over complicate it and enjoy your W.O.'s ... If you feel stale and want an active rest just do whatever you feel like in the gym for a cpl weeks then return to the basics.

If you follow the basics, don't over think it, get enough (but not too much) food and get your rest you will make huge progress in the next 6-12 months.

One last thing though. Record yourself doing deads and squats from the side and review from time to time. Keep your form perfect. If you have a good trainer there or a competative power lifter ask them to watch your dead and squat tech from time to time.

Good luck.