my upper/lower split

jwpaine

Awards
Looking for opinions on this routine I've put together, based on Lyle Mcdonald's Generic bulking routine:

Mon: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8
One-arm DB row: 3-4X10-12
Arnold press: 2-3X10-12
Chin: 3-4X10-12
Dips (Weighted): 3X 10-12

Tue: Lower
front squat: 3-4X10-12
deadlift: 3-4X5
Leg press: 2-3X10-12
leg curl: 2-3X10-12
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12

Thu: Upper
DB Bench: 3-4X10-12
Pendlay Row: 3-4X6-8
Shoulder press: 2-3X6-8
Pullups: 3-4X10-12

Fri: Lower
back squat 3-4x6-8
Romanian Deadlift: 3-4x8-10
Leg press: 2-3X10-12
Leg Curl 2-3x10-12
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12

It incorporates 3 elements: upper/lower split, alternation between heavy/light upper and lower days, and mixed rep ranges on each day so that no single day is competently heavy. Volume look good? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
I can not see how anyone could train with any intensity and not over train their back on that routine. You are working your back 4 days a week.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good starting platform, check out my suggestions in bold

Looking for opinions on this routine I've put together, based on Lyle Mcdonald's Generic bulking routine:

Mon: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8
One-arm DB row: 3-4X10-12
Arnold press: 2-3X10-12
Chin: 3-4X10-12
Add in rear delt and ancillary work: scaptions, face pulls, external rotations, etc.

Tue: Lower
front squat: 3-4X10-12
deadlift: 3-4X5
Add in a unilateral leg movement, i.e.: traveling lunge, pitcher squat, etc.
Also...get some core work in there - planks, rotational, resisted type crunches

Thu: Upper
Shoulder press: 2-3X6-8
Pullups: 3-4X10-12
DB Bench: 3-4x10-12
Pendely Row: 3-4X6-8
Note order change
Add in stabilizer, fixator, etc. work: face pulls, scapula depressions, band pull aparts, etc. etc.

Fri: Lower
back squat 3-4x6-8
Romanian Deadlift: 3-4x8-10
Add in an unilateral movement: split squat, lunge, side lunge, etc. etc.
Remove leg curls and leg press
Add in core work

It incorporates 3 elements: upper/lower split, alternation between heavy/light upper and lower days, and mixed rep ranges on each day so that no single day is competently heavy. Volume look good? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Br

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Ever heard of Westside Barbell?
I assume when someone posts a routine here that they are natural unless they state otherwise. I also assume any lifter that the fraud louie has had success with is not natural. To compare a natural athletes ability to recover to an assisted athletes ability is not a wise thing to do.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I assume when someone posts a routine here that they are natural unless they state otherwise. I also assume any lifter that the fraud louie has had success with is not natural. To compare a natural athletes ability to recover to an assisted athletes ability is not a wise thing to do.
Louie Simmons a fraud? You have further proven you have no clue what you're talking about in this field.

Notice how nothing he is doing is near his 1RM? The biggest saboteur of recovery is intensity and stagnation. I'll say that he'll need to switch up the specific lifts every 2-3 weeks to avoid stagnation, but to say that the load is too much is absurd. Overtraining is such a buzz word these days and the fear of it is blown way too out of proportion.

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
I have a conceptual issue with 'bulking' and 'cutting' routines in the first place. It would seem that the best way to keep muscle while dieting is to keep the routine that helped build it the best in the first place.

That being said:

The four day split is fine, but i'd suggest...

Overhead
Dead
Flat
Squat

and just rearrange the exercises

Kill the leg presses and leg curls and just incorporate glute ham raises. If you want to use a leg press type machine just use the hack squat.

This is also the bias of a strength athlete, my 2 cents.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One should not underestimate the amazing ability of the human body to adapt to a stimulus, and in doing so increase conditioning. But then again, Arthur Jones is the end-all be-all when it comes to resistance training, and to go against taking 1-2 sets to failure on a nautilus machine every few days is be a heretic, and face the rack.

>>>

Going from untrained to the proposed program above - not smart.

Progressively increasing volume and load in order to be able to handle more work - smart.

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also assume any lifter that the fraud louie...
I am assuming you are referring to Louie Simmons correct?

If so please elaborate on how one of the most respected coaches in the industry "is a fraud"?

I am extremely interested in your logic or lack thereof..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One should not underestimate the amazing ability of the human body to adapt to a stimulus, and in doing so increase conditioning. But then again, Arthur Jones is the end-all be-all when it comes to resistance training, and to go against taking 1-2 sets to failure on a nautilus machine every few days is be a heretic, and face the rack.

>>>

Progressively increasing volume and load in order to be able to handle more work - smart.

Br
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ZiR RED again.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
I am assuming you are referring to Louie Simmons correct?

If so please elaborate on how one of the most respected coaches in the industry "is a fraud"?

I am extremely interested in your logic or lack thereof..
He has zero credibility with me.... This is the man that said ALL, not some but ALL machines are garbage and useless..... That is.untill HE decides to sell one on infomercials. I judge a man by his character. He has none as far as I am concerned. The odd thing is that parts of westside work and work well... Just not for the reasons he.believes they do. But again, EVERY MACHINE IS BAD.....UNLESS HE CAN MAKE A BUCK OFF IT. That's.a man of character to you? Not to me, that is a hypocrite and a fraud to me.

I don't ask anyone to agree with my personal views of the man.... You can have any views you want but those are mine.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards

>>>

Br
I have no clue where the AJ comments are coming from. I don't use his program or agree with him on everything, many things I believe he was short sighted about but that's a diff thread.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So your disdain for the man allows you to qualify all the athletes who have trained under him as PED users?

And for the record, fixed ROM machines that are not useless are few and far between.

Br

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
So your disdain for the man allows you to qualify all the athletes who have trained under him as PED users?

And for the record, fixed ROM machines that are not useless are few and far between.

Br
World class athletes are ped users. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You mean like HIS reverse hyper machine?

Machines are tools, barbells are tools, DBs are tools, there are good machines and bad ones, there are good free wt exs and bad ones. Funny that you try to paint me as a Jones jedi but express an incredibly narrow opinion of your own.

jwpaine

Awards
I am 5'7 @ 163lbs

My lifts are:
squat: 205 x 5
bench: 160 x 5
dead: 260 x 5
OHP: 105 x 5

Do you think it would be wise to go back to SS....to do a bulk on SS while working on getting my numbers up, or do this upper/lower split and eat with caloric surplus? I'm looking for mass over strength (although I know it mostly comes down to diet)

John

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like what you have set up. I would change the rep scheme and ancillary exercises every 2 weeks. Change the major exercises every 4 weeks (i.e: back squats for front squats, flat barbell press for incline, etc.).

Br