B.b. Military press shoulder pain

nickd783

nickd783

Awards
Alright guys my problem is... Everytime i do military presses I get this popping/clicking pain in both my shoulders. It doesnt really happen when i use dumbells only the bar. Im guessin cuz of the seperate range of motion? I would just stick with the dumbbells but i know the bar is better for overall mass gain. Any thoughts?

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Go lighter until you're body starts getting used to it. Try not to flare your elbows out. Make sure you warm up extremely well. How far down are you going. I usually don't go too far past 90 degrees. I have separated both my shoulders. One from car accident, the other from snowboarding. My right shoulder has a cadaver tendon and two teflon screws. My shoulders are stronger now after the surgery than they've ever been. My best military press was 245x4 when I was 200lbs. I'm just telling you this cuz I know about shoulder problems and that they can be overcome in time. Just don't try to go too fast and force your body to do something it's not ready to do. Work with that lighter weight and experiment with different ranges of motion and tweak your form until it feels comfortable.

nickd783

nickd783

Awards
Personally ive noticed the problem happens right at about the 90degree mark so i have to keep it just slightly above that. My shoulders have always been a weak point for me as long as ive been lifting so now this is something i really wanna focus on.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
It's good to hear that you're focusing on your weakness and not avoiding it. That is a good mentality to have. I know plenty of people that avoid certain exercises because it hurts or past injury or whatever. Boo****inhoo, learn the exercise the correct way and build it up. Nothing but excuses. Although I know there are certain cases that people do actually have legitimate injuries that prevent them from correctly doing some things, just not the people that I knew personally. And they were all out of proportion. Giant traps, no shoulders. Huge upper bodies, toothpick legs etc...

nickd783

nickd783

Awards
This is definately somethin im gona keep workin on. Its just soooo frustrating because ive been workin on it for a looooooong time but this "popping" feeling is really holding me back. Ive even talked to my Dr and he said he sees nothing wrong with either of my shoulders. Thanks for the help guys im gona keep pressin forward!

nickd783

nickd783

Awards
have you looked at it being a SLAP tear ?
I did a lil reseach. I doubt its a slap tear because theres never any pain any other time. The feeling happens only when i lower the bar, pushing it back up is no problem. I have a physical next month im gona talk to my dr again. Thanks for the input bro!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep your elbows pointing forward.

Standing Military Press - YouTube

He doesn't finish correctly, with the upper arm aligned with the ears, but the rest of his form on the first few reps is really good. Notice the elbows do not flare out.

Here's another good example:

overhead press 225x10 - YouTube

Br
Eh the first video is ok, but not really correct form - the bar should be over his body, not in front of him. Obviously he has retard front delt strength, but not optimal form.

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
have you looked at it being a SLAP tear ?
I have this. I think only an MRI will detect it. I was supposed to have surgery two years ago after the injury, but never did. It took about 6 months, but I was able to start doing shoulder exercises again and built my strength greater than it was before the injury with very little pain. However, last Friday I believe I popped that tendon again swinging a softball bat during one of my games (how I did it the first time).

I'm saying this because even if the pain subsides, the (possible) injury doesn't go away, as I got to figure out. Just be careful and don't increase the weight too fast. I'm back to lifting light with a minimal range of motion for a few months and out for the rest of my season now I'm sure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
u_e_s_i Training Forum 4
whaz Training Forum 17
Training Forum 24
Training Forum 2
Training Forum 12