switching to bicep dumbbell work. Preacher curls or standing curls?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
So I'm switching to dumbbell curls, since the ez bar I have is hurting my wrists. I was wondering if I should do preacher curls, or standing curls. My thoughts were on standing curls when you have the dumbbells at the side and turn the dumbbell as you bring the weight up, you're only putting half the amount of work on that part of the bicep, since you need to turn the dumbbell. Is this current? So I was thinking maybe preacher curls are a better alternative, or standing holding the dumbbells in front and then curling, but this I need to use about 5 lbs less than I do on the preacher curl it seems. So what are your thoughts?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good question man. In my experience, both exercises have their place in a workout. It is my belief that standing db curls build more bicep mass than preacher db curls, while preacher db curls are meant primarily for isolating the biceps. When doing a preacher you also have to remember to not go all the way up in order to keep constant tension. Standing curls could actually hurt your wrists more though, but that is for you to decide.
When my wrists started hurting me, I bought power lifting hooks that fit in my palm, and I did seated barbell curls, this took the tension off my wrists and I also feel that it helped my strength a little too.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would also recommend taking some cissus for those wrists.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Already am. Wrist pain aside, which exercise is harder? What I mean is which one would be harder to get reps?
Between standing db curls and preacher db? I would have to say preacher, because there is no assistance from swinging, or changing your form. Another cool thing about them is you can push yourself past failure without a spotter, use your free hand to help get a couple more reps in ;)

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Already am. Wrist pain aside, which exercise is harder? What I mean is which one would be harder to get reps?
This is relative to weight and form.
They both have their place.

I haven't used the EZ bar in years and never looked back, no more weird forearm or wrist pain.

Also include weighted chins for bicep mass

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is relative to weight and form.
They both have their place.

I haven't used the EZ bar in years and never looked back, no more weird forearm or wrist pain.

Also include weighted chins for bicep mass
This.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Why must you choose? Rotate standing db curls, preachers and incline db curls. My bi exs change every workout. I train HIT and perform 2-5 sets per body part at 1 set per ex for bis and tris....my exs change every time. One work out may be hammer machine curls, concentration curls, hammer grip cable curls for one set each and the next workout may be hammer db curls, cable curls, incline db curls and one arm preacher curls.

Every time its diff.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Why must you choose? Rotate standing db curls, preachers and incline db curls. My bi exs change every workout. I train HIT and perform 2-5 sets per body part at 1 set per ex for bis and tris....my exs change every time. One work out may be hammer machine curls, concentration curls, hammer grip cable curls for one set each and the next workout may be hammer db curls, cable curls, incline db curls and one arm preacher curls.

Every time its diff.
Agreed. You should just do both, they will both benefit you because they work the biceps differently. I change it up weekly as well.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does the preacher curl work more of the inner or outer part of the bicep? I do standing curls like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8I2CohTic8 which I think works the inner part of the bicep.
It's up to you which part it works. With a wider grip it works one side better and with a narrow grip works the other side better. I do two sets of each.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
It's up to you which part it works. With a wider grip it works one side better and with a narrow grip works the other side better. I do two sets of each.
Oh okay. I was thinking of doing preacher curls with a narrow grip and standing with an outer grip. Doing standing curls with an outer grip would be alittle easier on my wrists while my wrists are still healing than doing them with an outer grip.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh okay. I was thinking of doing preacher curls with a narrow grip and standing with an outer grip. Doing standing curls with an outer grip would be alittle easier on my wrists while my wrists are still healing than doing them with an outer grip.
That sounds reasonable. Wrist problems are a pain in the ass. Good luck to u.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Not really, you may "feel" it works inner or outer head based on grip but its really based on elbow position. Elbow forward like preachers works the "outer" head and elbows back like incline curls works the "inner" head but in all honesty.... I have never EVERY seen anyone develop one head over the other. People do preachers heavy for a year and go "see, it works.... My lower biceps is fuller" or "it works... My "outer"head is larger... But all that really happened is they added 1/2" or an inch to their arms in a year so their whole biceps just got bigger. IMHO the only way to get more inner or outer or long or short head development specifically would be the use of seo's. Now I personally can't give any recomendations in regards to seo's cause I've never used them but I've seen plenty use them and get results.