Lateral and rear delt raise forum check.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

  1. Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    OK. Here is the point. Most fail at form. The swing the weight up and then drop it down. Slowly raise the weight in a strict form. Hold for a pause at the top. Slowly lower the weight down in controlled form. 2 seconds up, 1 second pause, 2 seconds down. Try this with a weight that you can do 20 reps in as strict a form as I have stated. Rest for 60 to 90 second. Do as many reps as you can in the second set with the same strict form. Repeat. I promise that whatever weight it was you did 20 reps with you will not repeat for 20 reps for the next two sets.

    Do it exactly as instructed in the video you posted above.
    and what about the rear delt raises? 20 reps on them too?

  2. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Yes.

    If I do rears with dumbbell I often rest my forehead on the top on an inclined bench. You will likely need even lighter weight to perform these strictly with proper form.

    Form, form, form, form.

    Did I mention - form.
    Life is a terminal condition.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    Yes.

    If I do rears with dumbbell I often rest my forehead on the top on an inclined bench. You will likely need even lighter weight to perform these strictly with proper form.

    Form, form, form, form.

    Did I mention - form.
    I was thinking of doing them seatd on an incline bench like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7BYxQZf6vE
    sort of like this...god that music is awful.
  4. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eralRaise.html

    Look how different the form is.

    Do what you like.

    Good luck.
    Life is a terminal condition.
  5. purebred
    purebred's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I was thinking of doing them seatd on an incline bench like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7BYxQZf6vE
    sort of like this...god that music is awful.
    You're overanalyzing your situation. I posted 2 vids--each showing you how to properly execute the exercises--just perform them as illustrated. If you would like to further the development of your shoulders' health, incorporate things like shoulder dislocations w/a band into your regimen. Foam rolling is great as well.

  6. Well I went to record myself and the batteries in my camera died. It's not really meant for video, so it drains the batteries like crazy. Anyway I used an old tv out in the garage as a ghetto mirror. It looked like I was doing the laterals right. On the second set I heard a little cracking in my right shoulder when I moved my wrists forward, I moved them slightly less forward and it stopped. After I did the rear delts, my upper back felt good and it's kind of hard to explain but it made me feel like after the exercise I was it made me stand more upright.

  7. Okay guys I have video updates. I also included a video of me doing scaptions and two of me doing db shoulder presses. One from the front view and one from the side. In the video of the shoulder press it looks like I'm not going parallel with the ground, but slightly above. I may need to drop the weight slightly. I'll let you guys decide. Anyway here are the new videos.
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...nt=Press01.mp4 Shoulder Press
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...Press_Side.mp4 Shoulder press side view
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...=Lateral00.mp4 Lateral Raise
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...RearDelt00.mp4 Rear Delt Raise
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...captions00.mp4 Scaptions
  8. purebred
    purebred's Avatar

    The Rear Delt Raise technique seems like it could use a little help. Let me ask you: are you currently doing any Overhead Pressing? I'm getting the impression you're overdoing the shoulder work. Shoulders get hit pretty hard in a large majority of exercises, namely the Bench Press. All you really need to be doing are exercises to prevent muscle imbalances, which tend to be a major cause of injuries in the first place, so Rows and OH Presses may be exercises you will want to look into implementing in the event you aren't already.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    The Rear Delt Raise technique seems like it could use a little help. Let me ask you: are you currently doing any Overhead Pressing? I'm getting the impression you're overdoing the shoulder work. Shoulders get hit pretty hard in a large majority of exercises, namely the Bench Press. All you really need to be doing are exercises to prevent muscle imbalances, which tend to be a major cause of injuries in the first place, so Rows and OH Presses may be exercises you will want to look into implementing in the event you aren't already.
    Yeah I do those already. OH with dumbbell though the video is posted above.

  10. Shoulder press: Too heavy. Start with the dumbbells resting on your shoulders and your elbows facing forward. press up. Your elbows should not point to the sides until they reach eye level. Also, pick up the weight with a flat back - seen too many people hurt themselves lifting weights up with a rounded back.

    Rear delt raises seem to heavy. Lighten the load and get a full ROM.

    Lastly, do scaptions with little to no weigth lying prone on a bench. Hold the position for a second and let down slowly. Feel your lower traps engage.

    Br
    •   
       


  11. Let me attest to the comment on how careful you need to be just picking up a wt. Less than a week after pulling around 7 in the gym I blew out 3 discs moving a 30lb box. I actually believe the stronger and more muscular you are... The more likely you are to blow a disc out moving insignificant wts.
    When you leave this world, will it be a better place because you were here?

  12. Thanks for the advice. I'll have a new video update next week.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Shoulder press: Too heavy. Start with the dumbbells resting on your shoulders and your elbows facing forward. press up. Your elbows should not point to the sides until they reach eye level. Also, pick up the weight with a flat back - seen too many people hurt themselves lifting weights up with a rounded back.

    Rear delt raises seem to heavy. Lighten the load and get a full ROM.

    Lastly, do scaptions with little to no weigth lying prone on a bench. Hold the position for a second and let down slowly. Feel your lower traps engage.

    Br
    Could you provide a video of the standing shoulder press with dumbbells for reference? All I can really find is people doing them seated and a woman using such light weight you can hold the weight up for like 10 minutes.
  14. purebred
    purebred's Avatar

    Do you have a barbell? Just do OH Presses

  15. I unfortunately can't find you a good dumbbell pressing instructional vid, and if I do I'll post it, but here's one with a barbell.

    How to Shoulder Press - YouTube

    I think everything here is completely on point although I would contest the statement on grip width. While the one he mentions is optimal, wider grip is still ok and may be better depending on the individual (I can't hold it as narrow as he or I pinch a nerve that causes my hands to go numb).

    Also, I like the corrections you made with your lateral raises.

  16. ^^^ Do this except with dumbbells. Your arms/wrist should be neutral (palms facing in) at the start of the ROM and then finish with palms forward.

    Br

  17. Well the only reason I was doing this standing with dumbbells is because I had trouble with form with the barbell and I figured it was because my shoulders are shifted forward. Also, it has always been very difficult for me to have my elbows pointing forward while holding the bar, unless I start with the bar just below my chin. Anytime it's lower than that it is very difficult to have my elbows forward regardless of where my grip is. I'd probably much rather do this exercise with the bb or alternate each week with standing bb and seated db. Is there anything I can do about that? I mean if the bar starts slightly higher, would I still get good shoulder development? It's hard to explain if my palms are not facing forward and are facing each other it is a lot easier to have my elbows pointing forward when my arms are lower, but if they are facing forward I have to bring the bar up the barbell up higher.

  18. http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...t=HPIM1753.mp4 Over head press. Now I figure you guys are goign to tell me my form is off and I am going to get depressed because no matter what I do. If i grip narrower, if I grip wider it doesn't seem to matter one big. My form never looks as good as any of the people I've seen.
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...t=HPIM1756.mp4 Rear Delt Raise

  19. OHP looks pretty good. Nothing to change from the side angle.

    Rear delt raises- the video is so dark i can hardly see anything

  20. Great form on the OHP. I like how you shove your head forward as the bar goes over your head. You're supposed to do that. Good job.

    As for delt raises, I mention in a completely different thread (unless it's this one, lol) that I don't like rear delt flys/raises like that because I have a hard time hitting my rear delts with them. So on my part, if you can really feel it in your rear delts (it's a small muscle, so believe me any stimulus there is going to be very recognizable) then you're probably doing it right.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Please check my form (lateral raise db in front/scaptions)
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
  2. Is Rear Delt Row a good substitute for rear delt raises?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM
  3. Rear Delt
    By jbono731 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 05:06 PM
  4. Alternative for Rear Lateral Raises.
    By iwannagetbig in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Log in
Log in