warm up set 50% target work weight 10 reps
30-40 sec rest
warm up set +5lbs 8 reps
30 - 40 sec rest
warm up set +5 lbs 6 reps
1 minute rest

1st work set target weight 12 reps
20-40 sec rest
2nd work set weight drops my reps now can vary from 7-10 depending on how far i can push the concentric (right word? positive lift)
20-40 sec rest
3rd work set drop weight and again 7-10 reps

basically i try to hit 8-12 on all work sets but due to low rest periods i usually fail in at around 7 reps for 2nd and 3rd set...

is this better than 8-12 reps of a target weight and resting 2-3 minutes in between sets??

oh yeah hypertrophy goals :)...this almost resembles a drop set routine dont you think?

my question is for PURELY hypertrophy, is 8-12 reps with 2-3 minute rests better than 8-12 reps 20-30 seconds rest in between??

i know people respond differently but im asking generally which one you think would be better?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
it would seem that going for the higher reps would allow more of a burn. you might also try to lower the weight so that you can go for the lower rest time which is what you seem to really want- just be careful of overtraining. by the way, what does your split per week look like.

cbcortez

Awards
i forgot to add that i try to do 4 sec negatives and 2 sec positive.
My question is really the time of rest. Im not sure if im maximally training my muscles for hypertrophy given the 20 second rest period.

my split looks like

Monday - Back
Deadlifts - 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Seated Cable rows - 3 sets 8-12 reps
Wide grip pull ups on an assist machine 3 sets 8-12 reps
lat pull downs - 3 sets 8-12 reps (sometimes what i do is after 1 set i do stiff armed pullover - is this what you call it where i push down the cable thingy where you do your tricep pulldowns with a straight arm from shoulder to my legs - also 1 set of this)

close grip pull downs on a v bar to my chest - 3 sets 8-12 reps
upper back machine which is like a tbar row - 3 sets 8-12 reps

then if i have time i put shrugs here too if not i do it on fridays which is shoulder leg day - 3 sets 10-12 reps

around 20-40 seconds between sets and about 1-2 minutes between exercises.

Tuesday - bicep cardio day
a bit of biceps if i feel i didnt hit it enough last monday

dumbbel curls - 3 sets 8-12 reps
hammer curls - 3 sets 8-12 reps
forearm exercises 3 sets 8-12 reps

HIIT cardio - well i try to make it HIIT hehehe... on the rowing machine....what i do is i row easy for 1 minute then row hard 1 minute for 12-20 mins.

OR

i box for 30 seconds all out and then bike for 1 minute relaxed biking to catch my breath - 15-20 mins.

Wednesday - Chest Tricep day

Flat dumbbell bench press - 3 sets 8-12 reps
Incline dumbbell press - 3 sets 8-12 reps
wide gripped dips for the chest 3 sets 8-12 reps (a lil bent over)
if i feel my pecs arent worked (funny but i never really feel the pump with the presses its like it hits my shoulders more and with the reduced cadence my triceps start getting tired too)
i add pec machine 3 sets 8-12 reps

either french presses or lying tricep extensions 3 sets 8-12 reps (i usually dont finish the 8-12 reps i think triceps too tired so it usually ends up like 6 reps)

then just do a lil tricep pulldown to feel the burn

Thursday Abs and HIIT

i either row or do biking HIIT

again 1 minute relaxed 1 minute power

for abs i try to do
leg raises pausing and bringing up my pelvis from the bench im lying on 3 sets 15 reps ( 1st 2 sets are usually weighted with a 5lb dumbbell and the last set usually weighted till like the 8th rep then i drop the weight and finish the 15 reps)

swiss ball crunch 3 sets 15 reps
rope crunches 3 sets 15 reps

another problem with my crunches i cant seem to feel them but if i touch my abs they contract but i can never seem to feel the exercise

Is feeling the exercise ABSOLUTELY necessary??

Friday - shoulder leg day
shoulder press with dumbbells - 3 sets 8-12 reps
latereal raises - 3 sets 8-12 reps
if im bored i add cable exercise for my rear deltoid 3 sets 8-12 reps

leg press 3 sets -8-12 reps
leg extension 3 sets 8-12 reps
calf machine 3 sets 8-12 reps
adductor machine 3 sets 8-12 reps

shrugs if i dont get to fit it on monday

THANKS for reading through this.....

I feel that sometimes since i dont feel the exercise i tend to overtrain like the pec machine on tusdays and the real high volume on pulldowns on mondays. is this true?

My chest isnt developing as much as i want to so im frustrated with my chest workout. im all for hypertrophy as of the moment.