Low reps or High reps for bicep peak?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.

Low reps or High reps for bicep peak?

I've always done high reps on things such as cable curls and preacher curls to get a better bicep peak but which is better higher reps or lower reps for this?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

Not to piss you off or make you sad.... genetics... thats the number one thing to decide if you can get REALLY peaked BI's

Other then that you have to do specific exercises to either hit the anterior head or posterior head of your bis. Rep amount has almost nothing to do with it.

Hammer curls- mostly works on filling out the overall size of the bicep
    Reverse grip- again will mostly fill out overall size and length of bicep but will work the brachials on your forearms considerably as well.
    Reg grip curls or hammer(perpendicular to shoulders grip)->reg grip (parallel to shoulders grip)- this is what will create a peak on the bi much more then others, regardless of reps.
    Overhead cable curls- if done in the correct fashion, wrists turned down and in considerably, this will target the heads of your bis greatly.
    Isolated single arm curls- done by placing the outside of your elbow on the inside of your knee, again focusing on the wrist angle and NOT using your leg to cheat will be a great way to isolate the heads of your bis.

More then anything I would shoot for a weight that involves failure at the 10-12 rep range with occasional lighter weight higher rep burnouts once main strength stores from heavier weights have been depleted.

gl on building those guns.
  3. Registered User

Do both high and low reps.

I like an exercise called 21s. First 7 reps you do the first half of a curl, 7 reps of top half, and 7 whole reps. It isolates biceps pretty effeciently.
    •   

4. Registered User

This topic would imply that you can selectively recruit portions of your muscles to the point where it makes a significant difference in terms of hypertrophy.

So, in terms of giving you a better bicep peak. Both and neither- depending on how you look at it lol.

P.S., what is the anterior head of the bicep, do you mean short and long head?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc
    This topic would imply that you can selectively recruit portions of your muscles to the point where it makes a significant difference in terms of hypertrophy.

So, in terms of giving you a better bicep peak. Both and neither- depending on how you look at it lol.

Yup.

You shoulda chosen better parents! You got the shape you got...deal.

BTW, the greatest arms ever in BBing belonged to the most dominant BBr ever (how about an Olympia where no one else even showed up cause they knew they has no chance?) He was physical perfection. I don't know ur age but if you don't know who I am talking about just Google "Sergio Oliva". How are his "peaks"? Lol
    When you leave this world, will it be a better place because you were here?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

A la the first couple of responses, go with a mixture of high and low reps. But I personally like to keep the low reps at no less than 7 (unless it's the last set). High reps for about 12-20.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc

Exactly.
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Sadly it's genetic
    ACSM-CPT
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  176 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf
    Sadly it's genetic
    Shape is genetic but you can get more peak on bis by doing excercises like preacher curls where u isolate just your biceps
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cg123 View Post
    Shape is genetic but you can get more peak on bis by doing excercises like preacher curls where u isolate just your biceps
    research?
    ACSM-CPT
  11. Future

No you can't.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cg123

That's just not true.... you can increase overall size, the peak itself is genetic....

A few exercises will increase portions of your biceps mass more then the other but its not likely to create the same visual peak that is only had through genetic endowment.

Sorry
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    That's just not true.... you can increase overall size, the peak itself is genetic....

A few exercises will increase portions of your biceps mass more then the other but its not likely to create the same visual peak that is only had through genetic endowment.

Sorry
    I don't understand. Don't bigger biceps = bigger bicep peaks? It's not like the bicep can only grow sideways - clearly it also grows up and down at the same time.

EDIT: sorry, this isn't directly related to your post seeing that your response to the above is on point.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  176 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough

Sorry
    I think your misinformed dude. There are certain excercises that help increase peak size. I had not much peak before and I did multiple isolation things and they got higher. Genetics will effect the shape of peak not size
  15. Future

He said you can increase size. But their is no such thing as a peaking exercise. You either work the bicep or you don't.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He said you can increase size. But their is no such thing as a peaking exercise. You either work the bicep or you don't.
    Haha yes, I am on board with this.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

I think your misinformed dude. There are certain excercises that help increase peak size. I had not much peak before and I did multiple isolation things and they got higher. Genetics will effect the shape of peak not size
    Believe me Im not misinformed... if I am then so are multiple certification schools and professors...

I think you just misread and/or misunderstood my post.

The "typical peak" referred to in the BB world is one of Genetics. It has to do with the way the shorter head(anterior) on the bicep contracts and cannot be replicated just by exercising a certain way. It has all to do with how the muscle is formed.

I already admitted that there are certain ways to make this head larger... it wont change the way it contracts and wont change the shape that it produces, just make it bigger.... a larger ball doesn't make a PEAK...

Sorry, it just isn't so.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

According to Chad Waterburry in his book "Huge in a Hurry" you can create the illusion of a better "peak" by working the Brachialis (the thick flat muscle underneath the bicep) proportionally harder by doing hammer curls. Over time, as the brachialis gets bigger, it pushes the bicep up higher when you flex. creating the illusion of a better "peak."

thoughts?
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

feasible
  20. Future

I would by that to a degree.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by weightmeister View Post
    According to Chad Waterburry in his book "Huge in a Hurry" you can create the illusion of a better "peak" by working the Brachialis (the thick flat muscle underneath the bicep) proportionally harder by doing hammer curls. Over time, as the brachialis gets bigger, it pushes the bicep up higher when you flex. creating the illusion of a better "peak."

thoughts?
    Which is what typically gets sore when people say "preacher curls work the lower biceps".
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

reverse grip actually works the hell outta them as well...

I actually have a fairly large peak to my bis, always have since I was a skinny lil twerp, but have noticed that I can actually hammer curl MUCH more then I can standard grip curling.... I just feel it recruits more muscles doing the lift with that grip and while already getting to an exhausted state I cant do a set number of reps at a certain weight reg grip I can do that set number and then some with a hammer gip....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Has anyone had success with high reps?
    By nemo in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
  2. high reps?
    By shugrblossm in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
  3. Best amount of reps for increasing bicep mass
    By njsfinest in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
  4. M1T During high reps