pull push legs , simple, yet effective?

luka5

Awards
my current goal is bulk&strength. i try to make 1 week off every 8-12 weeks. i weight 170 lbs (5 7 height). i just want solid , simple routine which i could stick to. im all natural. i think low reps are a way to go. but im open for anny routines that will work. i heard that pull push legs is one of the best, but i found that doing overhead press after bench isnt comfortable. so i wounder about layout: back/biceps , chest/triceps/abs, legs/shoulders

and I currently workout at home, so prefer front squats instead of back ones. dont have safety pins for back squats.

sorry for my english, im form middle europe.

thank you all helpful people here

priority: mass/power

mon

deadlifts 3x4
row 3x6
pullup 3x6
curls 3x6

wed

bench 3x6
military press 3x6
chest dips 3x6
close grip bench press 3x6

fri

front squat 4x6
romanian dl 4x6
hanging leg raises 4x10

what do you think about that? 3 min rest between squat/deads, 2 min rest for everything else, 1,5 min rest for leg raises/curls

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks good to me. If you don't like doing all your push or pulls in one day, then you could do mix them by movement:

Over head press
pull ups
curls
core

Front squat
RDL
Travelling lunge
Core

Bench press
rows
dips/close grip press
core

Something along those lines. One of your upper body days is a push/pull in a vertical direction, the other a horizontal direction.

br

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Routine is fine with one exception. I would not do any deads of any kind on Friday. Your erectors take longer to recover than any other muscle group. It's good that if you are doing deads Mon that you are doing front instead of back squats on Friday but just do leg curls and not Romanian deads on Friday. I know you want basic compound exs but once you can handle any decent wt at all you will be risking your back... Not go mention over training it.
Otherwise its a fine basic routine.
Good luck.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I disagree dunhill.

Programming a volume of squats and RDLs that matches the conditioning and strength of the lower back will pose no issue to the spinal erectors.

I think people under-estimate how important it is to train the hamstrings/post kinetic chain, and what a poor exercise leg curls are for that purpose.

If anything, single leg RDLs could be used to reduce lower back emphasis while increasing functionality.

Br

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
I disagree dunhill.

Programming a volume of squats and RDLs that matches the conditioning and strength of the lower back will pose no issue to the spinal erectors.

I think people under-estimate how important it is to train the hamstrings/post kinetic chain, and what a poor exercise leg curls are for that purpose.

If anything, single leg RDLs could be used to reduce lower back emphasis while increasing functionality.

Br
The reg deads will work his hams plenty. Emg shows reg deads recruit more fibers than stiff deads anyway (just do to the greater pure overload I am sure). He doesn't even need any other ham exs after doing heavy deads on day 1 but I don't see a problem with doing the leg curls on leg day... His hams should have no problem handling that amount of volume.
The fact just is that no muscle takes longer to recover than the erectors. It is just not worth the risk to perform the reg deads on day 1 if you did the Romanian deads a cpl days earlier. ANY slip in form do to fatigue when he does the reg deads could cause serious problems.
I admit to being paranoid about back health. I am still recovering from back surgery and am far from 100% because I herniated 3 discs (2 bad) just moving a 30lb box at work. Yup I was doing deads with around 7 a cpl days before and moved a stupid box of detergent at work and KAPOW!! DISCS BLOWN! Never do anything that could compromise your back/discs. I will always err on the side of safety.
Hell I was picking out the first masters show I was gonna do... I was 280+ and could see my abs, not cut or anything but decent shape for 5'10" and 280... 20+ inch cold arms, getting reps with 455 for bent rows... If I did well at the show I was gonna do the masters nationals for dun and to see where I was at..... Now? Had to drop 40lbs for my back health, can't so deads or squats, just started trying to train heavy again.... It sucks! Oh and blew my back out JAN, 1,2010!!!!

Just giving my exp bro. Hate to see anyone else go thru blown out discs.... I am still gonna do a show some time but I will never have the size I could have had without doing deads and squats. Just be careful people.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see any problem with Deads on Monday and RDL on Friday, but this kind of routine will lead to stagnation pretty quickly. You'll need to rotate the main lift that you do on each day every 2-3 weeks to provide a new stimulus and to avoid CNS fatigue.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dun, I can see your concerns and tend to agree. Technique is critical to maintaining back health throughout a lifting career. Too many people do not understand to lift with the hips and keep a neutral or slightly arched spine during any type of loading exercise. Further, people will deadlift and squat with a flexed spine then do standing over head presses with hyper-extended spine.

I emphasize with you, and have definitely become much more cognizant of my lower back and posture during exercises. Specifically, during dead lifts and squats the set ends when lower back posture is comprimised, not when failure is reached.

br

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Looks good to me. If you don't like doing all your push or pulls in one day, then you could do mix them by movement:

Over head press
pull ups
curls
core

Front squat
RDL
Travelling lunge
Core

Bench press
rows
dips/close grip press
core

Something along those lines. One of your upper body days is a push/pull in a vertical direction, the other a horizontal direction.

br
this