Shoulder Imbalance

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
i rescently learned i have a shoulder imbalance and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how they fixed their or any tips at all, ive been doing bent over dumbell flys and cant seem to focus on rear delts over my mid back, they just wont grow

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Try doing single-arm stuff. And if u haven't already, use lighter weight... pay CLOSE attention to the path of ur elbows. I always shoot for symmetry and its paying off :biggthumpup:

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Might take some time and patience..cut chest sets down, increase # of rowing sets, lots of face pulls and rear delt flyes..imbalances take a whipe to correct brotha no instant fix

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
I'm willing to give it time, thanks for te input guys

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Might take some time and patience..cut chest sets down, increase # of rowing sets, lots of face pulls and rear delt flyes..imbalances take a whipe to correct brotha no instant fix
^^^^ Agreed.

Start aggressively stretching your pecs major and minor on a consistent basis. When stretching the pec major, stretch with your elbow bent and elbow against the wall...don't stretch with your arm out-stretched.

Also, do the sleeper stretch for your posterior shoulder capsule.

Br

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Thy sleeper stretch is pretty uncomfortable lol

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Sleeper stretch is amazing, try doing it in the shower once you are warmed up everyday! If you have pain from your imbalance you can also start utilizing myofascial release to help release some tight muscles and pain. Tennis balls, foam rollers, pvc pipes, THERACANES..which I must say are amazing, I just got a theracane and I honestly feel it does a better job than a massage therapist at releasing muscles. Another thing is posture, throughout the day try to work on not letting your shoulders roll forward and have internal rotation/impingment.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
i weigh 192 and i used 45 lb barbell and went up to 65 then 85

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to keep your elbows wide (perpendicular to your core), grip wide (at least shoulder wide), and do not round your back. Raise it slowly and lower it even slower.

I recommend using the lighter weight and doing higher reps. When I do barbell I rest my forehead on the back of an incline. Honestly this (smith or barbell) is my very favorite posterior deltoid exercise. Hands down much better than bent dumbbell or cable lateral raise.

Form and mind and muscle connection are very important. It's not something you are going to master on the very first experience.

aahhhh

aahhhh

Awards
I had the same issue going on with my shoulders a little over a year ago, but I was able to sort it out and have things nicely balanced right now, but it is a slow arduous process.

First thing I did was cut back a little on working the other parts of the shoulder so that my rear delts could catch up. Then I bumped up the sets/reps/exercises on my rear delts. I found these exercises to be the most effective:

Bent Over Low-Pulley Side Lateral:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bent-over-low-pulley-side-lateral

Behind the neck shoulder press (really focus on using the rear delts to push and dont go too low)

Machine Rear Deltoid Laterals:
http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/viewanexercise.asp?exercise=Machine+Rear+Deltoid+Laterals&table=exercises&ID=34

Once things start to balance out better, you can start in on a well balanced complete shoulder workout.