pecs

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
When doing chest exercise. Press etc my tri and front delts are taking the hit and growing fast while pecs are lagging,
How would I fix this?

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I fix it by lifting heavier.

My delts BLOW UP something freakish. However - I like that because I still look slim even when bulking ... LOL.

But ... by "upping" the weight - my delts are forced to nicely ask my pecs to get off their ass and help heft the weight.

So now - I only lift heavy on chest and for only 4-5 reps per set.

I used to do an alternate "heavy" / "light" days workout where I did heavy chest on Mon and light on Thurs. I wasn't seeing results so I went to heavy all the way around and I'm pretty happy with the results.

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
Thanks honda. We are close to the same age and stats. Got any pics?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Strengthen your rear delts, rhomboids, mid traps - ie: your scapular retractors.

Keep your shoulder blades squeezed together, use an athletic grip, and don't allow your upper arms to exceed a 45 degree angle with your torso (i.e.: your elbows should never be higher (in relation to your shoulders vs. waist) than your lower chest). Once your shoulder blades pull apart and your elbows begin to flair the side the emphasis is taken off the pecs and the front delts, triceps (and during some really horrible form), serratus/pec minor compensate.

br

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
When doing chest exercise. Press etc my tri and front delts are taking the hit and growing fast while pecs are lagging,
How would I fix this?
drop ur elbows. ur engaging ur delt far more when ur elbows are flared out. simple way to understand this, do a pushup with ur elbows very close to ur side, and compare it to doing a pushup with ur elbows flared (making almost a 90degree angle with ur body), you'll feel how much more you engage ur chest when ur elbows are tucked.

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
Strengthen your rear delts, rhomboids, mid traps - ie: your scapular retractors.

Keep your shoulder blades squeezed together, use an athletic grip, and don't allow your upper arms to exceed a 45 degree angle with your torso (i.e.: your elbows should never be higher (in relation to your shoulders vs. waist) than your lower chest). Once your shoulder blades pull apart and your elbows begin to flair the side the emphasis is taken off the pecs and the front delts, triceps (and during some really horrible form), serratus/pec minor compensate.

br
What do you mean about the 45 degree

drop ur elbows. ur engaging ur delt far more when ur elbows are flared out. simple way to understand this, do a pushup with ur elbows very close to ur side, and compare it to doing a pushup with ur elbows flared (making almost a 90degree angle with ur body), you'll feel how much more you engage ur chest when ur elbows are tucked.
Keep elbows close to body and not out

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
yep, just gotta find ur comfort zone on elbow placement that allows you to engage ur chest the most...also, ur grip my need to change to accomidate ur new elbow placement, but it shouldnt change a lot.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What do you mean about the 45 degree

Similar to what 808rebel was saying

Stand up. Now pretend you are doing a side lateral raise. When your arms make a 45 degree angle with your torso, that is where you want your elbows to point when pressing. Your elbows should line up at the very bottom of your chest.

And you may need to narrow your grip a bit

Br

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LovingtoLift Training Forum 3
Hyde Supplement Logs 506
Training Forum 11
RippedCity Training Forum 47
Training Forum 9