Bench Press Questions

gymrat500

gymrat500

Awards
I have been lifting on and off for the past 13 years. I am curious as to what everyone considers a good bench press amount... Is it 315lbs? 365lbs? 405lbs? more?? Just curious really. I also want to see where I stack up to the standards...
I have been told by several ppl that I am big, but I feel that it is relative really. I mean, I might be bigger than some local guys, but if you go to the Arnold Classic, I would be small... Just trying to put things into perspective with all of use meatheads on here. Any input??

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
depends on your body weight of course

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
i weigh 190 and my max was 335x3 about 2-3 months ago, im not that big, and i dont think im that strong either but thats where im at, im 19 and been lifting for maybe 2 years, 1 year seriously

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm more impressed when someone demonstrates good form than when they load up a lot of weight. A good bench press number is something you could go to a meet with and rank well.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i weigh 190 and my max was 335x3 about 2-3 months ago, im not that big, and i dont think im that strong either but thats where im at, im 19 and been lifting for maybe 2 years, 1 year seriously
If you've truly only been training that long, that's a pretty impressive number. Which training programs have you done or been following?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Such an open ended question, but people love to see 3 plates, 4 plates, etc. on each side... But I would agree with demonstrating pure strength as owning whatever weight you are able to do - good form, convincing press.

Keep smashing weight!

Future

The best that you can do. I don't look down on someone that is weaker than I am. I am impressed by effort and drive. Just do your thing man.

gymrat500

gymrat500

Awards
Well, I weigh 240lbs right now and am only in the low 400's. My best ever was 495 but I weighed about 265/270 then... bad part is I am 6'2" and have to move the bar pretty far compared to my buddy who is only 5'8"...

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
well i am 5'8" as far as hat type of training routine ive run i really like fst 7 and i started GVT this week, before that it was just a standard 4 day split

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
id say a general figure would be < 2 plates (per side) = beginner, 2-3 plates = respectable (depending greatly on form), >3 plates is impressive, and 4-plates and up puts you in an elite class or powerlifting class. obviously there's a million variables to this, body weight/size/height as well was range of motion, form, control, cheating, etc.... but GENERALLY speaking, this is how I feel about bench press weight.

Turnitup122

Awards
Imo getting to 1.5x bodyweight in the bench is pretty good considerring alot of people in the gym can't even bench there own bodyweight

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
id say a general figure would be < 2 plates (per side) = beginner, 2-3 plates = respectable (depending greatly on form), >3 plates is impressive, and 4-plates and up puts you in an elite class or powerlifting class. obviously there's a million variables to this, body weight/size/height as well was range of motion, form, control, cheating, etc.... but GENERALLY speaking, this is how I feel about bench press weight.
i would say this is quite accurate

gymrat500

gymrat500

Awards
Thanks for all the information guys. That answers my question I guess!
Now if only it were that easy to answer the arm size question... LOL!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Having a big bench press is only impressive (to me, n=1) when its in proportion to a big squat and/or clean.

Br

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
I go nuts whenever I see guys doing x2 their bodyweight or more.

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
I assume we are talking Raw BP- without wearing gear? If so, 335x3 at 190lbs is solid! Is that drug free? It is very solid if drug free. You might be able to hold your own in a drug free BP competition. But I have seen guys that are on the juice do 450-500lbs raw at 190 or so lbs. So there are a LOT of variables.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
I'm drug free, I'm only 19 I turn 20 next week so not going to the darkside for at least a year

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
I feel honestly that a good bench is more based off of your own weight than anything else. If you can bench double your weight, you're doing good.

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
Stay drug free. Please. Why do you even want to go that route? You will be on drugs the rest of your life, and you will never know what you were really capable of. Not to mention the risk of legal issues and health issues. it's just not worth it. Just to say you can bench 500lbs? Hey- 400lbs natural is an amazing accomplishment- why not shoot for that.

I'm drug free, I'm only 19 I turn 20 next week so not going to the darkside for at least a year

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
i dont care how much weight i can push, im just going for size

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stay drug free. Please. Why do you even want to go that route? You will be on drugs the rest of your life, and you will never know what you were really capable of. Not to mention the risk of legal issues and health issues. it's just not worth it. Just to say you can bench 500lbs? Hey- 400lbs natural is an amazing accomplishment- why not shoot for that.
^^^Agreed.

When you're 20 you think your invisible. Everything catches up to you though.

Natural bodybuilding does not receive the credit or praise it deserves..sadly

Br

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^Agreed.

When you're 20 you think your invisible. Everything catches up to you though.

Natural bodybuilding does not receive the credit or praise it deserves..sadly

Br
This was a funny typo lol.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
> 1.5x bw
BP is over rated anyways. gay lift

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BP is a gay lift.

I presume you have a 500lb plus BP GeekPoop?
It is kind of over rated. When you go to a gym how many people do you see benching vs squatting or deadlifting? How many are doing cleans? GHR? Hip thrust? Any kind of uni lateral work? Dips? Pushups? Hell I don't think I EVER seen someone in my gym even doing a push press. Everytime i walk into the free weight room everyone is doing some variation of a bench. The bench press is by far the most abused exercise movement and people generally as a whole place way too much importance on the bench press. Example: see the lightbulb frame dudes on MTV shows like jersey shore. It's all about the chest and biceps

Future

Over rated or not, the guy asked a question. Not if we believe the lift to be overemphasized. :)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unless you are competing in a powerlifting competition, the BP has little translation into performance or functionality. It is the lowest correlated exercise test to success at the NFL combine, and you certainly do not use the movement very often in real like (unless you are getting raped by 300 pound women).

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
The consensus seems to be that it is a gay lift...as shown below. Not that there is anything wrong with that.....
gay lift.jpg

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
We'll be offering those red track pants on our site soon! Tops not available!

Stop posting your training sessions. LOL

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Unless you are competing in a powerlifting competition, the BP has little translation into performance or functionality. It is the lowest correlated exercise test to success at the NFL combine, and you certainly do not use the movement very often in real like (unless you are getting raped by 300 pound women).
If you neglect your push though, will it not eventually effect your pulls? I thought they should remain relatively balanced, for more reasons than aesthetics.

I know it definitely works the other way around. If you have a weak back, your BP will suffer, but that's mainly because part of the movement is done with the lats and upper back strength is needed to keep your shoulder pulled back through the movement. I dunno, just rambling here maybe. But seems to make sense that they both co-relate somehow.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you neglect your push though, will it not eventually effect your pulls? I thought they should remain relatively balanced, for more reasons than aesthetics.

I know it definitely works the other way around. If you have a weak back, your BP will suffer, but that's mainly because part of the movement is done with the lats and upper back strength is needed to keep your shoulder pulled back through the movement. I dunno, just rambling here maybe. But seems to make sense that they both co-relate somehow.
I agree with that. I am by no means telling people to neglect pushing movements. I was just making a point regarding the correlation of the BP specifically to athletic performance/daily function.