x-rep training?

Mrbobcat

Awards
Anyone tried x-rep training? After some searching I found there seems to be two types. In one type you do one rep with a weight you normally do a heavy set of about 8 with but just hold the weight near the contracted position as long as possible and then lower it slowly. I'm more interested in the type in which you do your normal set to failure or near failure and then pause at just after the stretched position or kind of do a mini rep and then do as much of another full rep you can do and then do maybe 1 or 2 more of the mini reps. I found this type of training when searching what Jay Cutler does and noticed he does it on almost all his sets and Ronnie Coleman does a form of it on some of his exercises too.

Right now I'm doing the blood and guts routine for the first time and seem to be making decent gains for a change and I'm not even going to absolute failure all the time! I'm into the 5th week, but started at about 80% max for the first week and then about 90% the 2nd and then added 5-10 pounds to everything the next week and have continued that the next couple weeks and so far have'nt hit a wall. I think I'll keep going until I can't add anymore weight and then start adding some negatives, drop-sets or maybe some of the x-reps at the end of the heavy sets.