Possible Overtraining?

zbasel

Awards
Hi guys I am a bit concerned on if I am over training or not. Since, about July I haven't bad any PRs or gains in Bench or really anything else. I used to go up nearly 5 pounds in bench press every week or two but ever since July I just haven't made any big gains or jumps and have struggled just maintaining my strength. I figured since I made big gains in college last year because of the extra food I could put in that once college started I'd be back on track but it's been 3 weeks now and still feeling ****ty. I had been doing a push pull split workout since January 2011 to the beginning of September 2011 and I figured maybe it was time to change up routines. So, I changed from lifting monday wednesday friday saturday to lifting monday tuesday thursday friday saturday and I have increased the intensity.

Routine from Feb. to Sept.
Push Pull
Monday Chest
Flat Bench 10 8 6 4 2
Incline Bench 3sets x 6 reps
Butterflys 2-3 sets x 10 reps
Dips 2 sets x 15 reps

Wednesday Back and Biceps
Bent over rows 2 x 10 reps
Preacher Curls 2 x 10 reps
Lat pull downs 2 x 10 reps
Barbell curl 2 x 10 reps
Shrugs 2 x 10 reps

Friday Shoulders Triceps
Shoulder Barbell Press 10 6 6 reps
Arnold Press 10 10 reps
Close Grip Bench 10 10 reps
Tricep Cable Pulldowns 10 10 10 reps
Dips 15 x 2 sets

Saturday Legs
SLDL 10 6 6 reps
Squat 10 6 6 reps
Hack Squat 10 6 6 reps
Dumbell Jumps 10 10 reps
Calfs 15 15 reps

Routine I just switched to a week ago:
Bodybuilding.com Ryan Hughes Muscle Building Program ( Just look it up I can't post links yet.)

Weight: 150 Bodyfat: Under 7%.
I am frustrated beyond belief!!! In June I was doing 205 10 times easy pumping it. Today I struggled doing 185 10 times I feel like a ****ing *****. In July I had goals of benching 300. Now I can barely do 225 touching my chest twice. Wtf!? Since I started lifting 3 years ago I have always made gains until now. When I come into the gym I still feel mentally tough but when I lift the weight I get the feeling you get when you're at the end of your Benching sets and you do a 135 burnout and the weight "feels" light but at the last few reps your arms just slow down until you stop. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me. Also, I really would like to not have to take a week off if at all possible... I feel so small on days I don't workout and I couldn't see missing a workout. Thanks, Zach.

stillnatural

stillnatural

Awards
I think your a little bit confused about the results your looking for. Are you trying to get bigger or stronger just on the bench?

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
When's the last time you took a week off? Might do your body well, or do a light deload week.

LatinGuy

Awards
One thing, it says you are 7% bodyfat, are you getting enough calories to support your strength/size gain goals?

LatinGuy

Awards
A week off is nothing in the grand scheme of things....There are 52 weeks in a year and in an average person's lifetime they will live 3640 weeks. A week off is a good idea if you haven't done so in a while, give your body's nervous system a chance to rest and recoup so you can start making gains again.

I really think you should be on a clean bulk of sorts if you are looking to grow. What's your diet like?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take some time off, recover, forget about lifting for a week or two. Then, find a periodized training program when you start back up. One that includes deadlifts.

zbasel

Awards
Thanks. Well, my goal is to gain 2 pounds of lean muscle mass a month which I don't think is an unrealistic goal I want to be around 160 by Christmas. No I am not just focusing on benching as you can tell I am working out all of my body. I would however like to increase all my lifts. I guess the big deal about the bench is just an egotistical thing... yes it's stupid but I am young and competitive.

My diet is high in protein and low in fat ( fat only coming from meats) my carb in take is from a few slices of wheat bread and fresh vegetables and fruit. I eat very little starch. I eat 3000+ calories a day.

I've decided not to take a week off. I think it was mostly mental and the fact that I got little sleep the first couple weeks of college because of time schedule changes but now I am more regular. I've felt better this week. Deadlifts and squats went much better then expected and I didn't feel as fatigued. The weight felt light today in bench even after a night with a couple hours of lost sleep so I think I am on the right track again guys. This new routine might have been what i needed to jump start my body again. Thanks guys for the opinions and advice I'll gladly listen to anything else you have to say so feel free to comment.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I see a few really god thoughts here.
1) Relax - take a week to deload.
2) If you really are 7%, suggestion #1 just became a really good idea
3) Sleep patterns - are you getting enough and quality sleep?
4) Get a deep tissue massage

If you really are all that worried about exess wight gains over a week? Many times people take a full week off in a strategy to lean out furth the next. Take a step back for 2 steps forward.

Turnitup122

Awards
Switched to five days a week cuz u weren't getting stronger? Doesn't make sense to me especially at your weight. Unless ur on chemical assistance I would say decrease volume if ur stuck not increase it..

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I see a few really god thoughts here.
1) Relax - take a week to deload.
2) If you really are 7%, suggestion #1 just became a really good idea
3) Sleep patterns - are you getting enough and quality sleep?
4) Get a deep tissue massage

If you really are all that worried about exess wight gains over a week? Many times people take a full week off in a strategy to lean out furth the next. Take a step back for 2 steps forward.
Good advice. Take a week off.

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
The irony is one of these days, when your metabolism slows a bit, you are probably going to wish you could lose a few LB's. But I get where you are coming from. You might be able to increase your fat and protein intake from meat and make some good lean gains. Your metabolism will probably allow you to cheat a little bit more than you realize.

I agree with maybe a week off- but when you get back to it you should re-evaluate your training. Perhaps focus on powerlifting exercises. Focus on heavy benchpress, squats, deadlifts. So the workout might look more like the below (the exercises in red are keepers).

Push Pull
Monday Chest
Flat Bench 10 8 6 4 2
Incline Bench 3sets x 6 reps
Butterflys 2-3 sets x 10 reps- get rid of?
Dips 2 sets x 15 reps- get rid of?

Wednesday Back and Biceps
Bent over rows 2 x 10 reps
Preacher Curls 2 x 10 reps- get rid of?
Lat pull downs 2 x 10 reps
Barbell curl 2 x 10 reps- get rid of?
Shrugs 2 x 10 reps

Friday Shoulders Triceps
Shoulder Barbell Press 10 6 6 reps
Arnold Press 10 10 reps- get rid of?
Close Grip Bench 10 10 reps
Tricep Cable Pulldowns 10 10 10 reps- get rid of?
Dips 15 x 2 sets- get rid of?

Saturday Legs
SLDL 10 6 6 reps
Squat 10 6 6 reps

Hack Squat 10 6 6 reps- get rid of?
Dumbell Jumps 10 10 reps- get rid of?
Calfs 15 15 reps

Thanks. Well, my goal is to gain 2 pounds of lean muscle mass a month which I don't think is an unrealistic goal I want to be around 160 by Christmas. No I am not just focusing on benching as you can tell I am working out all of my body. I would however like to increase all my lifts. I guess the big deal about the bench is just an egotistical thing... yes it's stupid but I am young and competitive.

My diet is high in protein and low in fat ( fat only coming from meats) my carb in take is from a few slices of wheat bread and fresh vegetables and fruit. I eat very little starch. I eat 3000+ calories a day.

I've decided not to take a week off. I think it was mostly mental and the fact that I got little sleep the first couple weeks of college because of time schedule changes but now I am more regular. I've felt better this week. Deadlifts and squats went much better then expected and I didn't feel as fatigued. The weight felt light today in bench even after a night with a couple hours of lost sleep so I think I am on the right track again guys. This new routine might have been what i needed to jump start my body again. Thanks guys for the opinions and advice I'll gladly listen to anything else you have to say so feel free to comment.