getbig89

Awards
So my current split is just:
Mon: Back
Tues: CHest
Wed: off
Thurs: shoulders/legs
Friday: Arms

Next week, however, I will increasing the amount of halotest, up to 75 a day from 50. After following several logs and noticing that my body responds well to more volume and frequency, I have decided to try and do everything two times a week (except legs, because legs are a genetic strength and are big already)

Originally I wanted to do this:

Mon: Chest/Back
Tues: Shoulders/arms
Wed: Off
Thurs:Legs
Fri: Chest/Back
Sat: Shoulders/arms
Sun: off

My concerns: doing chest and back before arms will make the workout crap because of their use in compound exercises. Biceps and triceps will be sore on saturday enough to affect Mondays workout.

Another split I thought of:

Mon: CHest/tris
Tuesday: Back/Bis
Thurs: Legs
Friday: Chest/Tris
Sat: Back Bis

This seems to be better but my concern is that triceps and biceps will be affected slightly by doing chest and back on the same day, respectively. also not sure what to do with shoulders here.

Not sure which would be better, or if some different order would work out better. I appreciate any help.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So you are going to train your upper body twice and your lower body, which comprises 50% of your muscle mass once? Don't like it.

Train movements, not muscles.

For upper body - vertical and horizontal. Throw arms in at the end, they really don't require a day of their own nor any outrageous amount of work.

For lower body, split up by squats and deadlifts.

Br

getbig89

Awards
Im training it more because my legs dont need a large amount of growth. They are bigger/stronger than my upperbody. And I know they normally
don't require alot of work, or their own day but in my case they do, ive tried many different things to get them to grow and that works best.

getbig89

Awards
Doing a vertical horizontal would still be similar to second split too wouldnt it?
CHest tris shoulders would be vertical
back and bis horizontal?
then legs.
then i just so the horizontal vert twice? (although i feel like shoulders would do better on back day...)

TXCope

Awards
That is exactly my routine! I change it up often as far as the exercises but it has worked great. Found it in the MetRx guide they used to publish.

Mon - Chest/Back/Tris

Tues - Arms/Shoulders

Wed - Legs/Traps

Thur - Back/Chest/Tris

Fri - Shoulders/Arms

Note: The second major body part of the day is a lighter workout with fewer sets etc.

This has worked for me for years.

getbig89

Awards
well considering you're doing a lighter workout for the second major body part, do you think it would be too much to do it as hard as the first? I mean I would never do this amount of volume if i wasnt on gear... I probably would add tris to arms day too, just from preference.

shane7777

Awards
Check out any split by CS Sloan. Great idea's for training parts more often.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doing a vertical horizontal would still be similar to second split too wouldnt it?
CHest tris shoulders would be vertical
back and bis horizontal?
then legs.
then i just so the horizontal vert twice? (although i feel like shoulders would do better on back day...)
Vertical consists of movements in the vertical plan - over head press, pull ups, etc. I suppose you could say delts (anterior and lateral), lats/teres, upper traps
Horizontal consists of movements in the horizontal plane - bench press, bent over and t-bar rows, etc. Chest and middle traps/rhomboids/rear delts

There's also a decent amount of research that shows by super setting agonist/antagonist muscles (ie: delts vs. lats, chest vs. traps/rhomboids) work out put is increased.

Br

getbig89

Awards
There's also a decent amount of research that shows by super setting agonist/antagonist muscles (ie: delts vs. lats, chest vs. traps/rhomboids) work out put is increased.

Br
I have looked into this before, but due to the gym I train at, its extremely difficult if not impossible to superset antagonist muscles.

getbig89

Awards
So doing shoulders with biceps and triceps...and doing shoulders on triceps day killed all of my tricep lifts. Do you think it would be better to just hit shoulders on chest/back day with less volume?

getbig89

Awards
I was doing 2 on 1 off for a whole cycle and I grew and grew ...
This was .last winter its hard to maintain the split but I believe it was
Day 1 legs delta abs
Day 2 chest bi abs
Day 3 back tri abs
Day 4 ,day 1
Every couple weeks I took 2 days off listen to body mostly ..
There was more detail to it ask and ill type but very important to focus on form and group ..
doing delts before chest didnt weaken your chest lifts?

Teddy21

Awards
I have been doing this routine for about 6 weeks and have gained some significant strength;

Mon : Chest & Shoulders : Hypertrophy
Tue : Back & Legs : Hypertrophy
Wed : Rest
Thu : Chest & Shoulders : Strength
Fri : Back & Legs : Strength
Sat : Rest
Sun : Rest

Usually Chest & Shoulders comprises of Bench Press, Hang Cleans/Overhead Press and 3 other exercises which I rotate. Back and Legs will be Deads, Squats, Row variation and Pull Ups/Chin Ups.

Seems to be a pretty effective bulking routine for me.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like what teddy has set up, though I might suggest alternating strength and hypertrophy days such that it goes:

Chest/shoulders - hypertrophy
lower/back - strength

chest/shoulders - strength
lower/back - hypertrophy

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was doing 2 on 1 off for a whole cycle and I grew and grew ...
This was .last winter its hard to maintain the split but I believe it was
Day 1 legs delta abs
Day 2 chest bi abs
Day 3 back tri abs
Day 4 ,day 1
Every couple weeks I took 2 days off listen to body mostly ..
There was more detail to it ask and ill type but very important to focus on form and group ..
I see potential overuse issues arising from this setup. The shoulder girdle is going to be deviated into a position ripe for impingement due to the high frequency of pushing work and (possible) lack of pulling work)

Teddy21

Awards
I like what teddy has set up, though I might suggest alternating strength and hypertrophy days such that it goes:

lower/back - strength

lower/back - hypertrophy
Thats a good idea, splitting the heavy work loads a bit more.

Might try;

C&S - Strength
B&L - Hypertrophy

C&S - Hypertrophy
B&L - Strength

That really spreads the heavy loads by 2-3 days each time. Good thinking ZiR :)

getbig89

Awards
Thats a good idea, splitting the heavy work loads a bit more.

Might try;

C&S - Strength
B&L - Hypertrophy

C&S - Hypertrophy
B&L - Strength

That really spreads the heavy loads by 2-3 days each time. Good thinking ZiR :)
I'll be moving to a nonlinear periodization about 4 weeks after the cycle is done. Right now I'm focused solely on hypertrophy, after having made some good gains on strength over the summer.

jk47

Awards

lower/back - strength

lower/back - hypertrophy
I do something very similar to this.

Push Power
5x5...Bench, Dips, Military

Pull Power
5x5... BB Rows, Chins, Deads, Back Extension(3x8)

OFF

Push Hyper
Usually 2-3 chest, 2-3 shoulder, 2-3 tri all for 3x8-10

Legs(power and hyper)
5x5 Squat/Box Squat/Front Squat
3x8-10 for the rest: Lunge, Leg Press, SLDL or RDL, optional assistance work like adductors, leg ext, pull throughs

Pull Hyper
Same as push hyper but 2-3 back, 2-3 bicep and for good measure 1 trap, 1 rear delt

This is the best I could think of for including some strength, some hyper, and reasonable rest time in between major areas while still being able to hit good compounds. Very similar to Layne Norton's power/hyper split but I didn't like trying to get 5 or 6 upper power lifts in one day while only one or two on lower power. I also wanted to squat and deadlift so I figured I'd sacrifice a true legs hyper day in order to do that. That is plenty of volume for my legs anyways.

getbig89

Awards

Push Power

Pull Power

OFF

Push Hyper

Legs(power and hyper)
3x8-10 for the rest: Lunge, Leg Press, SLDL or RDL, optional assistance work like adductors, leg ext, pull throughs

Pull Hyper
Same as push hyper but 2-3 back, 2-3 bicep and for good measure 1 trap, 1 rear delt

This is the best I could think of for including some strength, some hyper, and reasonable rest time in between major areas while still being able to hit good compounds. Very similar to Layne Norton's power/hyper split but I didn't like trying to get 5 or 6 upper power lifts in one day while only one or two on lower power. I also wanted to squat and deadlift so I figured I'd sacrifice a true legs hyper day in order to do that. That is plenty of volume for my legs anyways.
I am liking this alot right here, because I was planning on running Norton's Phat soon. It was always hard for me to find a day to deadlift, but this looks good. Not as much volume as I usually do,but I can modify accordingly. Thanks for this!

Mafesto31

Awards
Mon-5x5 squats high rep high position leg press and hams/calf
Wed-push/pull 5x5 bench dips bent row pulldowns
Fri-5x5-3 deads 4sets heavy back extensions Abs
sat or sun - 10x10 hyper chest superset with medial delts 10x10 hyper back superset with rear delts

getbig89

Awards
no when im "on" i can handle 90 # plus dumbell inclines and start with 225 on flat bench ..this routine put me to 227# last winter and i could see 2/3 of my abs ..
i dont like the back bi chest tri i seem to geat great pumps from this method ..im taking it easy for acouple months and am only doing 3 to 4 days aweek now ..
all this info on workouts is "GREAT" just so hard to sort it all out ..im 43 feeling great ,,just need a nap now and then ...
yeah what i did this week was:

Mon: Chest/Back
Tues: Shoulders/arms
Thurs:Chest/Back
Fri: arms
Sat: shoulders/legs

doing shoulders on arms day raped all my tricep lifts... so i dunno, i may do them just on saturdays.

on chest days ive been starting with inc dbs and get up to 100s, but then my flat bench is **** afterwards so ill
alternate what i do first every other workout.

morthet

Awards
Just my 2 cents but I do complete upper body on Monday.
Legs on Tuesday.
Abs and cardio on wensday.
Upper body Thursday.
And then legs again on Friday.

This seems to work great for me. I'll do this routine for a month then switch to supersets for two weeks, then back to this workout again for a month.

getbig89

Awards
See i tried to all upper in one go but I'd be in there for like 2 hours, lose intensity, and bis tris and shoulders lifts would go down from heavy
chest/back work

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards

Push Power

Pull Power

OFF

Push Hyper

Legs(power and hyper)

Pull Hyper
+++++

morthet

Awards
See i tried to all upper in one go but I'd be in there for like 2 hours, lose intensity, and bis tris and shoulders lifts would go down from heavy
chest/back work
Yeah my muscles are exhausted at the end of the workout but I have adjusted well to this Routine. Also I am not sure what your goal is, but mine is mass and this routine has added about 9Ilbs in 3 months with a good diet and no supps.

morthet

Awards
chest/back work
Yeah my muscles are exhausted at the end of the workout but I have adjusted well to this Routine. Also I am not sure what your goal is, but mine is mass and this routine has added about 9Ilbs in 3 months.

getbig89

Awards
Yeah my muscles are exhausted at the end of the workout but I have adjusted well to this Routine. Also I am not sure what your goal is, but mine is mass and this routine has added about 9Ilbs in 3 months.
yeah my goal is mass, probably until about january and then ill start cutting down.