I used to love deadlifts...

suoth825

suoth825

Awards
Today I finally did high rep deads 20 reps for 1 warmup an 3 working sets. My back hurts so bad, I used to only do 5 to 8 reps and now I don't want to deadlift ever again unless I see a great transformation in my back with higher reps over the next month or two. Anyone do low and high reps and see a difference in results?

Tboz

Banned
Awards
ive never done high reps. It is something I have always wanted to try. How long are you going to do high reps for??? are you doing them first or last in your workout?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Wtf lol. A set of 5 is the highest I go ad a warm up too

suoth825

suoth825

Awards
First day doing high rep deads. Did them at the start of my workout and it drained me so maybe going to try it at the end next week. I will probably be doing it for around 2 months. And geekpoop an amateur bodybuilder I follow said that high reps transformed his back.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
High rep deads and squats will tire the dickens out of you. And ...

Well, I don't know how old you are - I'm 49 and I do deads and squats. I don't ever do high reps. High reps mean lowering the weight, of course - but it also means CONCENTRATING on form throughout the set and a lot of reps means a lot of pain and fatigue and it gets harder to concentrate on strict form.

You can't cheat Deads and Squats on form. If you do - they'll zap you. It's happened to me over and over again.

I have two herniated disks in my neck and one in my lower back. I still do deads and squats - not as much weight as I used to though.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
man idk, high reps stabilizer muscles get shot fast and than you can / could get injured pretty easily. id prolly stick w rack deads if youre doing high rep stuff

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
man idk, high reps stabilizer muscles get shot fast and than you can / could get injured pretty easily. id prolly stick w rack deads if youre doing high rep stuff
Good point.

Also, (and this goes for all big exercises, especially compound lower body movements) once the primary movers fatigue and the set is carried on compensations via other muscles occur.

In the case of deadlifts, the glutes will fatigue first and the ham strings will start compensating for the glutes. As these begin to fatigue the spine begins to round as the spinal erectors (which normally do little dynamic contraction) start shortening to extend the back. This is why you're back is sore. This is also not good (terrible) for the spine.

Stick to lower reps, and each rep should almost be treated as a separate set. Drop weight, reset grip, reset hips and shoulders, pull.

Br

suoth825

suoth825

Awards
thanks for the post Red on that it is bad for your spine, i don't need any problems in the future. You also answered a question I have had on why evan centopani in one of his videos says high rep deadliest are great for his hamstrings.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks for the post Red on that it is bad for your spine, i don't need any problems in the future. You also answered a question I have had on why evan centopani in one of his videos says high rep deadliest are great for his hamstrings.
Rumanian dead lifts are one of the best exercises you can do for hamstring strength and development. My reps range (depending on the micro cycle) between 4 to 15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0

Br

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Good point.

Also, (and this goes for all big exercises, especially compound lower body movements) once the primary movers fatigue and the set is carried on compensations via other muscles occur.

In the case of deadlifts, the glutes will fatigue first and the ham strings will start compensating for the glutes. As these begin to fatigue the spine begins to round as the spinal erectors (which normally do little dynamic contraction) start shortening to extend the back. This is why you're back is sore. This is also not good (terrible) for the spine.

Stick to lower reps, and each rep should almost be treated as a separate set. Drop weight, reset grip, reset hips and shoulders, pull.

Br
How long would you say is a good amount of time to wait between reps? I do 8-12 reps for 3 sets and by the third set my glutes are sore. I started stretching my hamstrings and this helped a lot. I always breath heavy after each set.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its just a pause between reps, maybe 3-5 seconds. I think anything over 8 reps is too much on a dead lift anyways.

Br

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
interesting thread. i thought about doing more reps for deads because my form is awesome up to 4 plates, then above 4 plates....crap