How bad is this rotator cuff injury? - AnabolicMinds.com

How bad is this rotator cuff injury?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

How bad is this rotator cuff injury?

I messed up my rotator cuff about two weeks ago. The pain is sharp when I completely abduct the arm, and hurts when I put a load on any raise motion (even if it's only ten pounds). It hurts significantly more in the morning, to the point where it hurts in a relaxed position, but it "recovers" throughout the day to the point where I can move it freely with pain at the fully abducated position. Would you say this is a bad injury? Has anyone had a similar injury and how long did it take to heal? And most importantly... should I go do deadlifts today?

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

That doesn't sound like a rotator cuff injury and not that bad.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Is there weakness in the ability to abduct the arm, or to resist adduction from the abd position? If so, it sounds like a supraspinatus injury. Go see a doc, it could just be severe inflammation and some ice, NSAIDS, and rest will be in order.

Br
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

The way I trigger the pain the most is if I fully abduct the humerus, flex the forearm to 90 degrees, and perform an external rotation.. That's what leads me to believe that it is a rotator cuff injury, although it could be a deltoid injury.

I don't have weakness abducting the arm, then again.. I haven't attempted a full weight lateral raise since injuring it. Therefore, I don't think it is the supraspinatus. As for the infraspinatus and the teres minor, the tension is in the anterior side of the humerus.. leaving only the subscapularus to be injured, but the subscapularis doesn't play any part in external rotation, so I don't know what part of the rotator cuff would be injured.. maybe it's a deltoid injury?
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

To me, it sounds like you may have strained the bicep and/or the origin of the bicep tendon. Ice, MFR, and rehab.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    To me, it sounds like you may have strained the bicep and/or the origin of the bicep tendon. Ice, MFR, and rehab.
    i was able to work my biceps since the original injury, so it couldn't be a strained bicep. could it still be a strained bicep origin though?
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  179 lbs.

You'll likely get about 10 different answers on a forum, and 9/10, 1 definitive answer from a sports PT?
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by psycho67 View Post
    i was able to work my biceps since the original injury, so it couldn't be a strained bicep. could it still be a strained bicep origin though?
    When the arm is abducted and externall rotated the biceps tendon (the long head that attaches to above the glenoid) can be impinged. So, without any abuction weakness (you wouldn't be doing much with 15 pound dumbbells) and signs of radiant pain as seen with a infraspinatus injury, it probably is a biceps tendon issue.

Get it checked by a sports doc. In the meantime, you can freeze a dixie cone cup, unwrap the bottom and have an 'ice point' to massage the area with.

Br
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    When the arm is abducted and externall rotated the biceps tendon (the long head that attaches to above the glenoid) can be impinged. So, without any abuction weakness (you wouldn't be doing much with 15 pound dumbbells) and signs of radiant pain as seen with a infraspinatus injury, it probably is a biceps tendon issue.

Get it checked by a sports doc. In the meantime, you can freeze a dixie cone cup, unwrap the bottom and have an 'ice point' to massage the area with.

Br
    That's a good idea right there, thanks. Last night I actually did ice it making the majority of the pain go away, and took a couple ibuprofen before I went to sleep. This morning it feels much better, not nearly as much of the morning stiffness I had yesterday, but I can feel it into my bicep so maybe you're right. I have an appointment for wednesday, if it isn't healed by then I'll let you all know what he thinks of it.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  179 lbs.

Good luck pal, hope it's nothing serious.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  186 lbs.

Don't mess with a shoulder injury. If you don't take care of it right away it could be a reoccurring thing.

Similar Forum Threads

1. HGH for rotator cuff injury
    By KurtisWicked in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM
  2. Rotator cuff
    By jng in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 09:03 PM
  3. Rotator Cuff/Shoulder Injury
    By rocksolid84 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
  4. Rotator Cuff injury...Are you 100% sure?
    By mmorpheuss in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 12:45 AM
  5. AHH, my rotator cuff!
    By Warhead_321 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 11:49 AM