How bad is this rotator cuff injury?

psycho67

Awards
I messed up my rotator cuff about two weeks ago. The pain is sharp when I completely abduct the arm, and hurts when I put a load on any raise motion (even if it's only ten pounds). It hurts significantly more in the morning, to the point where it hurts in a relaxed position, but it "recovers" throughout the day to the point where I can move it freely with pain at the fully abducated position. Would you say this is a bad injury? Has anyone had a similar injury and how long did it take to heal? And most importantly... should I go do deadlifts today?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That doesn't sound like a rotator cuff injury and not that bad.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there weakness in the ability to abduct the arm, or to resist adduction from the abd position? If so, it sounds like a supraspinatus injury. Go see a doc, it could just be severe inflammation and some ice, NSAIDS, and rest will be in order.

Br

psycho67

Awards
The way I trigger the pain the most is if I fully abduct the humerus, flex the forearm to 90 degrees, and perform an external rotation.. That's what leads me to believe that it is a rotator cuff injury, although it could be a deltoid injury.

I don't have weakness abducting the arm, then again.. I haven't attempted a full weight lateral raise since injuring it. Therefore, I don't think it is the supraspinatus. As for the infraspinatus and the teres minor, the tension is in the anterior side of the humerus.. leaving only the subscapularus to be injured, but the subscapularis doesn't play any part in external rotation, so I don't know what part of the rotator cuff would be injured.. maybe it's a deltoid injury?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To me, it sounds like you may have strained the bicep and/or the origin of the bicep tendon. Ice, MFR, and rehab.

psycho67

Awards
To me, it sounds like you may have strained the bicep and/or the origin of the bicep tendon. Ice, MFR, and rehab.
i was able to work my biceps since the original injury, so it couldn't be a strained bicep. could it still be a strained bicep origin though?

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
You'll likely get about 10 different answers on a forum, and 9/10, 1 definitive answer from a sports PT?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i was able to work my biceps since the original injury, so it couldn't be a strained bicep. could it still be a strained bicep origin though?
When the arm is abducted and externall rotated the biceps tendon (the long head that attaches to above the glenoid) can be impinged. So, without any abuction weakness (you wouldn't be doing much with 15 pound dumbbells) and signs of radiant pain as seen with a infraspinatus injury, it probably is a biceps tendon issue.

Get it checked by a sports doc. In the meantime, you can freeze a dixie cone cup, unwrap the bottom and have an 'ice point' to massage the area with.

Br

psycho67

Awards
When the arm is abducted and externall rotated the biceps tendon (the long head that attaches to above the glenoid) can be impinged. So, without any abuction weakness (you wouldn't be doing much with 15 pound dumbbells) and signs of radiant pain as seen with a infraspinatus injury, it probably is a biceps tendon issue.

Get it checked by a sports doc. In the meantime, you can freeze a dixie cone cup, unwrap the bottom and have an 'ice point' to massage the area with.

Br
That's a good idea right there, thanks. Last night I actually did ice it making the majority of the pain go away, and took a couple ibuprofen before I went to sleep. This morning it feels much better, not nearly as much of the morning stiffness I had yesterday, but I can feel it into my bicep so maybe you're right. I have an appointment for wednesday, if it isn't healed by then I'll let you all know what he thinks of it.

Bostonmic333

Bostonmic333

Awards
Don't mess with a shoulder injury. If you don't take care of it right away it could be a reoccurring thing.