1 Arm Strength as it pertains to 2 Arm Strength

touchdownthirty

touchdownthirty

Awards
1 Arm Strength vs 2 Arm Strength

For awhile now, I've dealt with sternum pain when lifting heavy with back/chest. It's due to me being way too tight and having a lack of flexibility. While trying to correct this is static and dynamic stretching, foam rolling, massages, etc., I had found that doing alternating 1 arm movements (especially with chest workouts) save my sternum a lot of pain. This is especially true during the eccentric phase of a dumbbell press. When only one side of the chest is under heavy pressure, my sternum is very thankful.

My question, though:

I have worked myself up to 110lb, alternating 1 arm db chest press for 10 reps per arm, and I am just curious as to what that might translate to with regular 2 arm db chest press. Also, what that might translate to in barbell bench strength.

When I was younger (although i'm still 23), I was very much into lifting for strength, but now I have to be more careful. Nonetheless, I still have that desire to get strong, but I want to do it in a smarter and safer manner that doesn't have me paying for it by the time I'm 30! Anyway, if anyone could shed some light as to what these heavy alternating 1 arm presses really mean (double rainbow--what does it mean?! lol), it would be very encouraging to this [confused] mind!