Forearm pain on grip release...

VeeSix

Awards
Around 6 weeks ago when doing barbell curls, in one of my forearms there was a painful stabbing sensation - as if the bone had broke. This occurred when I disengaged the grip around the barbell. I've seen my Doc who said to consult other weightlifters and to see into recommendations as there was nothing medically he could diagnose (tennis elbow, broken Ulna etc).

Since then, 6 weeks ago, the pain has lessened, and I have had to reduce my weights and reduce my curls as I was compensating in the other arm, which would leave me quite literally, out of shape on one side!

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any recommendations for a wrist/elbow support (which is it?)

Thanks in advance

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
I have experienced it, I believe it feels like shin splints, but in your forearm. I've heard many people claim they know what it is, but basically it's inflammation pushing on your fascia giving you this feeling. It sucks man and what I realized is that it happens when I do too many straight bar curling exercises. Do single arm curls and if it still bothers you, the best thing is to lay off the curls for a little while. It will re-surface again and again if you don't watch yourself. I think mostly everyone experiences this, no biggie!

McCoy1989

Awards
I have had a similar sensation when doing preachers with the kinked curl bar. I pretty much have to avoid preachers all together. I've found that if I do standing curls instead of preachers with the curl bar the pain doesn't come. I've compensated with variations of dumbbell curls instead of the preachers and I've been pain free for a while and have seen some significant strength gains from my varying my arm workout as well.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Completly normal.... Sucks though lay off curls for awhile...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I used to get this alot too. As my strength increased and time went on, they went away.

Maybe try Fish oil to reduce inflammation?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Do you experience the same pain when curling with an EZ curl bar? Do you feel it on the inside of forearm, near your elbow?

I experience a similar issue, and from what research I have done its like aka golfer's elbow.

Firmanator

Firmanator

Awards
Jaja hit it on the head...it's basically forearm splints. Vary your curl work more, straight bar stuff is usually what'll get ya. Ice em when you get home

VeeSix

Awards
I do indeed feel the same pain with the EZ Curl Bar - it was the reason I actually bought it, to avoid the pain!

The pain is close to my elbow, on the outside lower part of my fore-arm.

Firmanator

Firmanator

Awards
Try dumbbells for a while

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
I do indeed feel the same pain with the EZ Curl Bar - it was the reason I actually bought it, to avoid the pain!

The pain is close to my elbow, on the outside lower part of my fore-arm.
Not to sound rude, but don't you read what anyone posted. My answer should have gave you satisfaction, unless your looking for a different answer to manipulate your personal mantra's.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I've been plagued with tendonitis in both elbows for years and have been getting cortisone shots on a regular basis. I really wanted to do away with the shots so I looked for alternatives and came accross myofacial work. It has helped a lot since I started rolling out the adhesions in my forearms and elbow areas. The pain in my elbows and forearms are still there, but it has been greatly reduced. You may want to look into it. A tennis ball to the forearms may do wonders for you and it's less than $1 per ball.

VeeSix

Awards
Not to sound rude, but don't you read what anyone posted. My answer should have gave you satisfaction, unless your looking for a different answer to manipulate your personal mantra's.
Wow attitude!

I was specifically answering Firmanator's post to clarify on the EZ Bar - I agree about what you say, but that shouldn't stop me talking about what I have attempted previously...

I have also attempted Dumb Bells which results in the same pain, further reinforcing that it is a forearm splint as different exercise techniques cause the same issue/s.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Try releasing your grip SLOWLY when you set the bar down... That made all the difference in the world for me.