After starting strength

shovelhead76

shovelhead76

Awards
I've been doing starting strength for about 8 months but am starting to hit walls. I enjoy the simplicity of it and I like going 3 days leaving me 2 for cardio. I am looking to do a recomp.

I was thinking of switching to something like this, but not sure if I should just move on to a hypertrophy type routine.

My long term goals are gain size and strength Id like to get a 300lbs squat and 225 lbs bench for reps

Day 1
Back Squat 3x5, 1x8
Incline Bench press 3x5, 1x8
Chin-ups 4x8-15

Day 2
Front squats 3x5, 1x8 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
Seated Press 3x5, 1x8
SLDL 3x5, 1x8

Day 3
Squat 3x5, 1x8
Row 3x5, 1x8

Week B

Day 1
Squat 3x5, 1x8
Seated Press 3x5, 1x8
Chin-ups 4x8-15

Day 2
Front squats 3x5, 1x8 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
SLDL 3x5, 1x8

Day 3
Squat 3x5, 1x8
Seated Press 3x5, 1x8
Row 3x5, 1x8

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You can keep doing the base of it, but you should add in heavy core work and postural correction.

shovelhead76

shovelhead76

Awards
not too sound like an idiot but by core and postural are you talking ab work, crunches , hypers, plank? I definitely feel ready for a change 8 months of squatting 3x per week is starting to take its toll on me

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
If you want to get stronger it doesn't mean stick with the same exercises. Switch up your routine for a few weeks and than go back to your heavy lifts. Once or twice a month I like to shock my legs from my normal routine so I will do 4 sets of leg extensions to warmup the legs and knee joints and go into 6-8 circuit sets of Leg Press, Leg Curl and Calf Raise.. After the circuit 3 sets of Barbell Squats and I always come back stronger the following week on my usual routine

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
not too sound like an idiot but by core and postural are you talking ab work, crunches , hypers, plank? I definitely feel ready for a change 8 months of squatting 3x per week is starting to take its toll on me
Postural correction is mainly upper/mid-trap work such as facepulls, band pullaparts, rear flys, etc.

Core work in this instance would be heavy ass standing cable crunches and decline situps. You should be incorporating some more posterior chain work in as well such as hyperextensions, good mornings, glute-ham raises, etc.

shovelhead76

shovelhead76

Awards
excellent thanks for the advice One of my issues is I workout at home so I will have to get creative with dumbells for some of this