Struggling with chest workouts.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Im kind of baffled my inability to get a good chest workout in lately, the problem started in Febuary when i developed Tendonitis in my tricep right above the elbow during baseball season so i quickly stopped doing any chest or tricep workouts to avoid any infflamtion since i was already putting a strain on it while pitching. The tendonitis went away for a while and i began lifting chest again in May shortly after in June my tendonitis flared up and i cut out all chest and tri workout again till middle of July, now the first couple weeks back doing chest again and i can't seem to gain any strength back sometimes i feel like im declining.

My workouts are all DB's i find BB's agravate my tendonitis sometimes so a Normal day goes like this.

Bike 10min
Static/Dynamic Stretching
DB Flat Bench 1 Warm up set followed by 4x8
DB Incline Bench 4x8
Dips 4xFailure
Incline DB Flyes 3x12
Overhead Tricep Extension (rope) 3x12
Tricep Rope Pushdown 3x12 last set drop set
1 Mile at 8.5MPH on treadmill

I know i shouldn't be too worried i havent been able to really lift healthy for chest in a while so my numbers will take some time to rebound, but should i just completely drop the weight focus on form and do 12-15 reps while i try to build back some strength or should i do opposite and try to go heavy 5 reps or so. I've always kind of struggled with my chest its never been a main point for me being a pitcher getting to big a chest would hinder my throwing my legs and back are progressing nicely though and my chest just looks....blehhh. Im looking for some ways to break this plateau if it's even that any advice is appreciated.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
By good chest workout do you mean you just arent feeling it? No pump, no soreness, no stimulus? Your workout looks fine minus i would throw some rotator cuff work in (especially cause you play baseball), toy with the higher reps and see if that makes a difference for ya. And about the tendonitis do the eccentric only portion of a tricep pushdown, for whatever reason it remedied my elbow tendonitis and many others.
Im kind of baffled my inability to get a good chest workout in lately, the problem started in Febuary when i developed Tendonitis in my tricep right above the elbow during baseball season so i quickly stopped doing any chest or tricep workouts to avoid any infflamtion since i was already putting a strain on it while pitching. The tendonitis went away for a while and i began lifting chest again in May shortly after in June my tendonitis flared up and i cut out all chest and tri workout again till middle of July, now the first couple weeks back doing chest again and i can't seem to gain any strength back sometimes i feel like im declining.My workouts are all DB's i find BB's agravate my tendonitis sometimes so a Normal day goes like this.Bike 10minStatic/Dynamic StretchingDB Flat Bench 1 Warm up set followed by 4x8DB Incline Bench 4x8Dips 4xFailureIncline DB Flyes 3x12Overhead Tricep Extension (rope) 3x12Tricep Rope Pushdown 3x12 last set drop set1 Mile at 8.5MPH on treadmillI know i shouldn't be too worried i havent been able to really lift healthy for chest in a while so my numbers will take some time to rebound, but should i just completely drop the weight focus on form and do 12-15 reps while i try to build back some strength or should i do opposite and try to go heavy 5 reps or so. I've always kind of struggled with my chest its never been a main point for me being a pitcher getting to big a chest would hinder my throwing my legs and back are progressing nicely though and my chest just looks....blehhh. Im looking for some ways to break this plateau if it's even that any advice is appreciated.

aahhhh

aahhhh

Awards
Try something like this:

Do sets of 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 12 + 12

So what this means is do the first 6 sets on one compound chest exercise (DB press let's say), then as soon as you finish the second set of 12 (after the set of 8 ) run over to another chest exercise (peck deck maybe) and do the last set of 12 immediately with no rest. That's it, you entire chest workout.

This may look odd, but it is a way to completely fatigue your chest (or any other muscle group) to complete exhaustion without lifting heavy. I used this method to recover strength and muscle after I blew my left shoulder playing rugby without risking the injury that can come when moving back to heavy weights too fast. Even on your x8 set, you'll be lifting quite light as you will be very fatigued by then.

By the end of the last set you will be down to 5 or 10 lbs weight and crying! Oh and no more than 60 sec between sets.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I actually had a great chest workout today on my 6th day without any stims i seem to honestly have more energy and more endurance during my workouts, i upped the weights and went a bit heavier and it seemed to work i felt great. I honestly think it was the adrenal fatigue a bit and im back to where i was so thanks for the advice just a little hiccup in the road.