Combo 3x5 with assistance work

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
My experience recently has been primarily with the strong-lifts 5x5 program. I believe in the program and made good gains on it. The one thing is that although my big 3 are going up routinely, I think some muscles may be suffering from lack of combination work. SL says no need for supporting or isolation lifts, but if I was truly working these as much as I could, they wouldn't be sore like a newbie lifter when I do overhead tricep extensions or curls. (not part of normal SL 5x5).

I did transition to 3x5 when I started cutting calories, as the weight and calorie defecit on 5x5 was just too much. This was done SL(a), day off, SL(b), day off, repeat.

With that background, I was wondering if anyone has tried a combo type program where you do 3x5 2 days per week and more mid range reps for supporting muscles 2 days. SL is a great program, so not knocking that. The A/B SL below is pretty much the standard SL program, just looking to do THAT part less often to add in supporting lifts at moderate (instead of low) reps.

SL 3x5
A Squats 3x5, Bench 3x5, Bent BB row 3x5, pushups max x1
B Squats 3x5, Military/should Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5, Pullup/chin max x2, situps max x1

This is the "new" part

Looking to add in primarily upper work since I am already squatting 2x/wk + runs
(combined with cardio day)
BB curl 3x8-10
OHD Tricep ext 3x8-10
Lat Raise 3x8-10
Inverted row x1

So:
Day 1: SL 3x5(a)
Day 2:supporting/cardio
Day 3: OFF
Day 4: SL 3x5 (b)
Day 5: supporting/cardio
Day 6/7: cardio only (light) 1 day, other off depending on schedule.

Will be doing this combined with a moderate cut. I appreciate the feedback. I do realize no one can tell what "works for me" but I am curious if anyone has tried this with success on a cut.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
No one has done 3x5 or 5x5 and has an opinion on this? If you have done one of those programs, even a quick reply would be appreciated. Thanks!

RedneckDB

Awards
I've used 3x5 in the following ways (both were very good for strength increases)

Compound movement 5x5
Assistance exercises 3x5

Example - Back

Deadlift 5x5
Barbell row 3x5
Weighted pullups 3x5
Lat Pulldowns 3x5

The other way I used the 3x5 was basically the same as above but changing the compound movement reps to
1x5,4,3,2,1 so still 5 sets but allows you to move more weight, give it a try as its quite a fun way to do things