ATG Squat Form Check (vid)

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Out of my own curiosity I wanted to critique my own squat form. I will add that I know I'm leaning forward a bit, I took this video after about 6 sets of squats, on top of that i hadn't adequitely recovered from a back-workout from 2 days prior.
Enough excuses,
[video=youtube;CYQHrMwAzN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYQHrMwAzN0[/video]

And

Awards
I'm no expert but you seem to be do something that I have had trouble with that I am trying to sort out. using a high bar position but then
pushing so the ass seems to come up with the torso leaning forward a bit like how low bar squats are described. Do you always use the high bar position? I have tried low bar but my wrist cannot hold up.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It would be helpful if I could see what was going on below the knee..the knees, feet and ankles.

You go "duck butt" toward the bottom - where your pelvis curls underneath your body. This is often due to tight hamstrings and weak lower back muscles. Often times, chronically tight hip flexors cause a shift in the pelvis and play a huge role in this problem (lower cross syndrome).

Br

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
I guess it would help if u could see everything. I don't really have an issue with my feet or knees. My main probleM is with my back, and tendency to lean forward. Also, I didn't always use high bar. I went to low bar for a couple months. I hit PRs, but my wrists could not take it.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like you're doing an ATG squat, so you can check that box.

On the other hand, I have the same concerns Zir Red does (never thought of the root cause, though, thanks for the tip!). I would either sort out that tightness or any other form issues before doing ATG again or consider cutting the squats a little higher as rounding of the lower back during squats can lead to injury.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
I see what u guys are saying with the rounding of my lower back toward the botom of the rep. I will vouch that I did deadlifts 2 days prior that I hadn't completely recovered from. But I don't think I have a tight hip flexor, im extremely flexible.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Forward lean and the transition from excess lordosis to kyphosis during the squat as you display is a classic example of lower cross syndrome and tight hip flexors. Passive flexibility does not mean that the hip flexors have not been shortened or are not over active.

Also, you'd be surprised what can be discerned by the feet during the squat. You may not notice it, but your feet could be flattening and pronating, and there may be some heel elevation - which will also result in some excess forward lean.

Br

808rebel

808rebel

Awards

Forward lean and the transition from excess lordosis to kyphosis during the squat as you display is a classic example of lower cross syndrome and tight hip flexors. Passive flexibility does not mean that the hip flexors have not been shortened or are not over active.

Also, you'd be surprised what can be discerned by the feet during the squat. You may not notice it, but your feet could be flattening and pronating, and there may be some heel elevation - which will also result in some excess forward lean.

Br
Thanks man, I was working on it 2 days ago. I realized that I cant squat down to ATG position and still maintain good back posture (with my usual foot placement). I was able to accomplish it if i brought my feet in to inside-shoulder-width, and then kept them parallel with my femur. Although it felt mighty awkward trying to squat with my feet so close together, I was able to stop the rounding of my lower back. Any advice on foot placement for the ATG squat?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
1. when you take the bar off the hooks, wait a second before running backwards.
2. dont bounce the bar n stuff when youre waiting to go down. stand erect and wait for the weight to stop moving.
3. chest up first when coming up. it'll help you put all the weight on your heels

hugeswole

hugeswole

Awards
I will usually put a bench under my butt when I squat and literally sit down on it for each rep.

Not really sure if this is "proper" but it keeps me from rounding my lower back even though I still have my hams parallel with the floor.

Also it makes my butt way more sore the next day and for me sore=good workout.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
2. dont bounce the bar n stuff when youre waiting to go down. stand erect and wait for the weight to stop moving.
3. chest up first when coming up. it'll help you put all the weight on your heels
good pointers. believe it or not I did some ATG rack/dead squats (bar sitting on the rack @ the same height as in the video, then explode up), and it REALLY helped see/"feel out" my flaws. pretty tricky getting set up that low, lol.

I will usually put a bench under my butt when I squat and literally sit down on it for each rep.

Not really sure if this is "proper" but it keeps me from rounding my lower back even though I still have my hams parallel with the floor.

Also it makes my butt way more sore the next day and for me sore=good workout.
Bench squats are a good workout, but they are nothing compared to ATG squats IMO. Imagine going 6-10 inches deeper than ur bench squat....u work EVERYTHING

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
dont explode too fast when youre doing those with heavy weight, easy hamstring tear :p

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
lol, maybe explode wasnt the right word, but by no means should it be a slow movement unless its a slow fight for a PR

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established

Br
I think I have the same problem. What stretches would you recommend? I'm doing leg swings but need something that will work better.

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
#3 def. helped my squat feel better..also, to add to that - forcing head up & back along with chest coming up

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
#3 def. helped my squat feel better..also, to add to that - forcing head up & back along with chest coming up
Yup! cuz if you lead w your ass, the bar is gonna try to roll towards your head. now youre not balanced and need to do a good morning to get the weight in teh correct position

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Push neck into bar, get big air and stay tight. arch your upper back hard and your lower will follow suit. Add in mobility drills like defrancos agile 8 for your hips. Push the ground apart as you squat and really sit back. Also your upper back should be tight and i mean tight as you squat. Mine usually hurts the next day bc of how tight i get it.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Push neck into bar, get big air and stay tight. arch your upper back hard and your lower will follow suit. Add in mobility drills like defrancos agile 8 for your hips. Push the ground apart as you squat and really sit back. Also your upper back should be tight and i mean tight as you squat. Mine usually hurts the next day bc of how tight i get it.
This is GREAT advice. I just realized last week that my upper back wasn't tight enough, I was putting too much focus on my lower back posture.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
the worse it feels, the better your set up.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If there are some competitive powerlifters at your gym, work in with them on squats for a couple monthes, they will sort it all out and tell you what do thru the lift. Trust me it helps a ton to have someone say "Push into the bar!, stay tight, big air, arch arch arch back back back!" lol

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
So it's been about a month since I last posted a video. I've been squatting every week, and my numbers have gone up significantly. I brought my feet closer together, and it really helped. Here's some stuff from today. I actually think my form is worse on the 225x5 vid, but that just because its a quick warmup and Im not as picky on my lighter sets. I cant believe I was hitting 225x5 a month ago...and now im at 315x4, lovely :)

-oh, and sorry about the video, I filmed it with my phone standing upright, and then had to edit it to rotate it, so the quality went downhill.

225x5:

[video=youtube;BI6HIh5YUls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6HIh5YUls[/video]

315x4:

[video=youtube;G4kmW-f92sQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4kmW-f92sQ[/video]

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
they looked good to me. set up a little quicker and dont stand with the weight on your back so long before squatting. both use a lot of energy and ya dont realize it. nj tho

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
they looked good to me. set up a little quicker and dont stand with the weight on your back so long before squatting. both use a lot of energy and ya dont realize it. nj tho
i know what you mean. I get a little anal about my feet placement, and since i'm only about 1 month deep with this stance it isn't quite natural to do a 3 step to get into position. im workin on it tho. sometimes its even worse, :(