bum shoulder

miked7

Awards
my shoulder is the bain of my existence. I broke my growth plate when I was a kid and had a slap and labrum reconstruction 13 months ago and am just starting to be able to resume my old routine. However, my right arm is about 1 inch shorter than my left and barbell exercises give uneven results to my chest. Any one have this problem of a slightly longer arm? any thoughts on what I might be able to do short of wrapping a towel around the bar. Just looking for some brainstorming. thanks.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Try out dumbells. If you had a slap tear, probably not the best idea to be doing barbell chest and shoulder movements either way. At least for a while.

miked7

Awards
what else do you know about this type of injury? I had rehab from 2 months to about 8 months. I got pretty much all my range of motion back but like I said my right arm is slightly shorter. Outside that I have been super careful in the gym to make sure im training all the really small important stability muscles. also I had complete atrophy in my right upper/mid trap. Now I am slowly building my way back up dumbells incline/flat/decline fly/press etc. I just want someone with some real insight to my type of injury. ANYTHING helps. training exercises, stretches, supps whatever...thanks

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Well I have dealt with my own shoulder issues for years as well. Finally in the last year have gotten it to stop bothering. Massage therapy, myofascial release are tremendously helpful. You should probably just take it slow, play it smart. If a. Exercise bothers it, dont do it. Face pulls and band pull aparts sound like they need to be your friend and favorite exercises in the gym for a while. Supplement wise if you have money to throw around on extras skeletal balm + bulk cissus. Thats just my .02, I'm sure some other guys on here like rodja could elaborate and give you more advice.
what else do you know about this type of injury? I had rehab from 2 months to about 8 months. I got pretty much all my range of motion back but like I said my right arm is slightly shorter. Outside that I have been super careful in the gym to make sure im training all the really small important stability muscles. also I had complete atrophy in my right upper/mid trap. Now I am slowly building my way back up dumbells incline/flat/decline fly/press etc. I just want someone with some real insight to my type of injury. ANYTHING helps. training exercises, stretches, supps whatever...thanks

miked7

Awards
dude, thank you. I take cissus, a whey and casein blend before bed and it has been helping, just slow. but really thanks for the training tip. I will do those much more now. It seems no one from my PT or DR's will recommend me anything besides lat pull downs and arm bikes. Ill see if I can get in touch with rodja. good looks

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Is that seriously all they have recommended?? Well I would start looking into rotator cuff strengthening exercises, and just reading about shoulder mobility in general. I feel your pain when it comes to shoulder problems and sympathize with you bro. Keep up with the cissus, I think its mostly just gonna be a time issue. Remember ice is your friend! After upper body workouts ice your shoulder for 10 minutes, it does wonders :)
dude, thank you. I take cissus, a whey and casein blend before bed and it has been helping, just slow. but really thanks for the training tip. I will do those much more now. It seems no one from my PT or DR's will recommend me anything besides lat pull downs and arm bikes. Ill see if I can get in touch with rodja. good looks

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
You should seriously consider myo-facial work. I was a skeptic but finally gave in over a month ago and let me tell you, I'm addicted like crack! I roll and use a raquetball about 1-1.5 hours per day and I haven't felt as good and flexible in years. My shoulder pain has been significantly reduced and now I'm trying to work on the tendonitis in my elbows.