Swimmer Strength training workout

LAF89

Awards
Hey, Does anyone have any suggestions for a strength workout for a female swimmer? I am trying to work on my endurance levels in the pool but also have started getting into weight lifting and I want to know what kind of strength moves should I be doing to optimize my swimming performance?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
honestly, nothing is going to be as good as swimming itself.. IMO

but reguardless of sport... squats, pullups, deadlifts, pressing and core work are what everyone should be doing

being that you are going more for endurance, i would focus on doing moderate weight, high rep work ex 60% for 12-15 reps, or maybe a circut, with a minute at each station

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here is a video of crossfit endurance at work specific to your sport... [video=youtube;ZBRdSiodgG0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBRdSiodgG0&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A couple of notes here.

First, improve core strength and endurance. We all know the power you generate must pass through the core. Once your core fatigues, your form breaks down, compensation occurs, and you lose efficiency and increase risk of injury. Its important to keep a certain pelvic position when swimming, and the only way to do so is to improve core strength.

2. Antagonist work for injury prevention. Swimming places a high demand on the internal shoulder rotators as well as the scapula protractors. The lats and pecs are used heavily during swimming and will hypertrophy at a rate much faster than the external rotators of rotator cuff and the scapula retractors and depressors. So - train your mid traps/rhomboids, lower traps and scaption movement, and your external rotators.

3. Once you have built a better base, then we can start discussing ways to improve power. Obviously exercises that strengthen the lats, pecs, and deltoids will improve upper body.

4. Lower body. Having a large lower body is limiting in the water. It creates drag and will slow you down - thus, keep hypertrophy based lower body training to a minimum (ie. keep reps below 3, use a lighter weight and a faster speed of rep). However, the ability to "push off" the wall when turning is important to swimming performance. To improve this, you'll need to do movements that involve a triple extension: clean pulls, hang cleans, power cleans, etc. Also important will be plyometrics.

Br