4 or 5 Day Split for Mass and Strength?

Mik3

Mik3

Awards
For over a year I did the same 4 day split. Monday- Chest/Shoulders, Tuesday-Back, Wednesday-Off, Thursday-Legs, Friday-Arms, Sat and Sun-Off. This summer though I decided to try a 5 day split because I really want shoulders to have their own day and I really want them to improve a lot, strength and size. All summer I've been cutting and I havn't had that much of a probem with lifting 5 days. I do feel like I'll need to deload more often though. But typically for gaining size and strength, maybe more so size, which would be better? 4 days allows for more rest, but 5 days lets each body part have their own day.

5 Day split I've done lately and might use for bulking:

Monday-Chest
Tuesday-back
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Shoulders
Friday-Arms
Saturday-Legs
Sunday-Off

or this 4-day

Monday-Chest
Tuesday-Back/Biceps
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Shoulders/Triceps
Friday-Legs
Saturday and Sunday:Off

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
try DC. i am a high volume guy and i hate the thought of 3 day a week programs but i swear by DC. i love it

Mik3

Mik3

Awards
bump. I'm not going to lift 3 days a week. Either 4 or 5.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just curious why? im a high volume person also. i used to train 5 on 2 off for a very long time until i came across DC. if you read on it, you will understand why. and MANY people on this forum love DC. i work harder during DC than i do for 12 sets of chest. and it gives you 4 days to rest and GROW. try it for three weeks, then go back to your normal split. u will find your numbers have increased. my bench went up 15 pounds in 3 weeks.

dont be a guido and think in order to be big u have to train every freakin day. if a program works, then it works no matter how often you train.

Mik3

Mik3

Awards
haha no thats not how I'm thining at all. It's not that I think more training leads to more growth and I need to lift like everyday. Its just I love going to the gym and only going there 3 days out of the week isn't fun. Its too much fun and too addicting to only do it 3 days a week. But I'll take a look at it and read about it.

EDIT: Just read a few articles on it and it looks interesting. I might try it when I have a busy schedule or something with school. Maybe when I have finals or something. But since I have more time I want to be lifting more often.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can always do DC then on OFF days do abs

here is my split i rotate with

Mon - Chest
Tues - Back
Wed - OFF
Thurs - Legs/Accessory moves for shoulders (get front dealt work with chest)
Fri - Arms
Weekend - OFF

i always mix up the reps. 1 week i go high reps, followed by a week of heavy reps...etc

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
haha no thats not how I'm thining at all. It's not that I think more training leads to more growth and I need to lift like everyday. Its just I love going to the gym and only going there 3 days out of the week isn't fun. Its too much fun and too addicting to only do it 3 days a week. But I'll take a look at it and read about it.

EDIT: Just read a few articles on it and it looks interesting. I might try it when I have a busy schedule or something with school. Maybe when I have finals or something. But since I have more time I want to be lifting more often.
Look into "Advanced German Volume Training". Hehehe