Andy Bolton's 5 Tips to Improving Your Bench Press

purebred

Very concise. Easy to comprehend. Great for those just starting to bench and those in search of improving their numbers.

[video=youtube;VaG09XBpsLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaG09XBpsLE&feature=pl ayer_embedded[/video]

1.Force Your Shoulders Back and Down
To approximate this feeling, hold a Jump Stretch Mini Band at arm's length in front of you and pull the band apart. The feeling as you pull the band apart will be one of tightness in your upper back. This is the feeling you want to re-create when you set up for the bench press. Maintain this position throughout your set.

2.Squeeze Your Glutes Tight
This is pretty self-explanatory, but some people struggle with it. If you have dormant glutes that need waking up, then try a couple of sets of glute bridges before you bench. When these become easy, switch to a single-leg variation

3.Get Your Feet Wide
Whether you bench flat footed or up on the balls of your feet, a wide stance will give you stability and balance that supersedes what you can achieve with a narrow stance. Think of how a pyramid is built and you will soon understand

4.Grip the Bar as Hard As You Can
The HARDER you grip the bar, the harder your triceps will flex. To supercharge this technique, "break the bar apart" as you bench. Try to feel like you are bending the bar (your left hand will try to rotate counter-clockwise and your right hand will try to rotate clockwise)

5.Bring the Bar to Your Lower Chest/Nipple Line
Nothing will mess up your shoulders faster than benching to your upper chest with your elbows flared. This is a horrible position. Instead, tuck your elbows on the descent and aim to touch the bar to your lower chest on each and every rep. Just remember to keep your forearms perpendicular to the floor at all times

If you practice these 5 simple points each and every time you Bench Press, you will soon have much better technique and more pressing power.

It's as simple as that.
Andy Bolton Strength: 5 Ways To Build A Bigger Bench Press

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good Stuff

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks I have crappy bench and can use any and all help.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
same here my bench is pretty sad - definitely planning on trying out these tweeks this weekend

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Nice!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you guys consider crappy??
Well right now I weigh about 235 and bench around 315+. I want to drop down to the 220 weight class and do a powerlifting competition.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For each of those I would be:
Press Advanced
Bench Advanced
Squat Advanced
Deadlift Beyond Elite
Clean Intermediate

That is pretty sad. I think those standards are a bit low. But makes me think I need to work on my clean lol.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
after about 4 months of trial and error of teaching myself to bench like this, I finally got it :D (used to bench flat footed and flat-backed/no-arch, with a healthy bounce lol), now I gotta get my numbers back up.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I can never seem to get my hands in the right spot without a spotter, I always seem to put my left hand in the closely.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Keeping my elbows in seems to have made all the difference for me in terms of weight lifted /reps

purebred

I can never seem to get my hands in the right spot without a spotter, I always seem to put my left hand in the closely.
Are you using the grooves on the bar to measure yourself out? They are great indicators of hand placement/width.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Are you using the grooves on the bar to measure yourself out? They are great indicators of hand placement/width.
Yeah, but you see the thing is I have a squat rack bench combo, so the bench part is detached from the rack. Which of course means I have to align the bench under the racks each time I bench. I made marks on the ground to try to help me align it right, but I need to make marks on the left side too to make sure everything is even. I'm 6 foot and have about a 73.5" wingspan.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i think there is so much wrong with their standards..

im considered elite in everything there except squat and clean... where i am advanced..

im not even running anything right now....
Well these are just strength standards for weightlifters, not for powerlifters. So for instance, if you fall into the "Elite" category it assumes you probably either do a lot of powerlifting or have many, many years of serious training under your belt (or at least I infer that since the advanced category says the lifter has multiple years of training under their belts). These would be baselines, so lets say if you've been lifting for 8 years and have a lift falling under the novice/intermediate category, it means you're either crippled or have something (horribly) wrong with your training routine.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I actually use the "shoulders back and down method", i never really tried the others, i mean, i always put my feet far apart. But thats about it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I actually use the "shoulders back and down method", i never really tried the others, i mean, i always put my feet far apart. But thats about it.
What about flat benching with dumbbells? I feel it's alot harder to do that when working with dumbbells, especially at the start of the set.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
What about flat benching with dumbbells? I feel it's alot harder to do that when working with dumbbells, especially at the start of the set.
Oh yea, i dont do it with Dumbbells. You'll prolly fock up your shoulder/shoulder's doing that.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Anybody can answer this question. Would the "shoulders back and down" thing work well when regularly doing pushups. Never tried it, and my right shoulder kills me when i do pushups, wondering if this method would help???

mdpwrlifter

Awards
For each of those I would be:
Press Advanced
Bench Advanced
Squat Advanced
Deadlift Beyond Elite
Clean Intermediate

That is pretty sad. I think those standards are a bit low. But makes me think I need to work on my clean lol.
Same minus deadlift. Can't pull a 400+ yet..