Soft Tissue Work

purebred

Anyone doing it/done it? I just received my foam roller and the first time was pretty painful (twss) but it's benefits seem to outweigh the pain it initially produces.

This is the video I used to help guide me through my first session today:
[video=youtube;8caF1Keg2XU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8caF1Keg2XU&feature=pl ayer_embedded[/video]

Comments, feedback, suggestions, etc. all welcomed! Tuturial vids especially!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A lot of benefits to myofacial release.

I burnt through a few foam rollers and finally moved onto a PVC pipe. I have that, plus a few lacrosse balls and a rolling stick for my calves and quads. I roll my plantar fascia on the lacrosse ball during class and when I'm at the computer doing work (rolling it right now). LAX ball is also good to get hip flexors and periformis.

Also, personally I find it helpful to warm the area up prior to rolling on off days.

Br

purebred

A lot of benefits to myofacial release.

I burnt through a few foam rollers and finally moved onto a PVC pipe. I have that, plus a few lacrosse balls and a rolling stick for my calves and quads. I roll my plantar fascia on the lacrosse ball during class and when I'm at the computer doing work (rolling it right now). LAX ball is also good to get hip flexors and periformis.

Also, personally I find it helpful to warm the area up prior to rolling on off days.

Br
Thanks for the response. I'm definitely considering getting a LAX ball or tennis ball, too. I'm kind of disappointed I bought the foam roller though. When I opened up the package I expected something a bit more elaborate than a PVC pipe inserted in foam (which can be removed btw). When I wear this one out, I'll just go to my local hardware store (Home Depot) and buy some foam to replace around the PVC pipe and continue reusing the pipe until the day it requires a replacement to function effectively.

$40 was a total rip-off but it was a lesson learned.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Pvc pipe + tennis balls works so good. I consider it to be the #1 thiing that keeps me injury free these days. Life saver for shoulder and hip mobility and prehab. However I must say even using a pvc pipe or foam roller everyday cannot do what a massage therapist will do in one hour

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I really really need to jump on getting a foam roller, i know i'd benefit from it. I don't even have a tennis ball!! Did/do you guys notice a difference after performing multiple sessions?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rumble Roller for thighs, biceps, anterior delts/pecs, and axilla
PVC Pipe or Body Bar for thoracic spine and hip flexors
Baseball for piriformis

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love it for my legs. I should try and look into using for my ant. delts too like Rodja. But I personally hate it for my lower back. I feel a painful sort of pain, one that gets worse and not the sort that feels better after you've done it.

The following article has some very useful images to help you understand some foam rolling techniques. T NATION | Feel Better for 10 Bucks

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A golf ball in the door way works well on the pec minor too.

purebred

I really really need to jump on getting a foam roller, i know i'd benefit from it. I don't even have a tennis ball!! Did/do you guys notice a difference after performing multiple sessions?
Soft tissue work is said to be beneficial in improving 'quality' of muscle. Just like mobility work is great for flexibility, soft tissue work is said to relieve nagging pains. As the weights have becoming significantly heavier, due to my training sessions progressing very well, I have noticed annoying these nagging pains after I squat. Although it is fair to say I am still a beginner (and many will disagree but they are, too) and I'm still perfecting my form, I seem to maintain good technique, so these pains are not injuries awaiting to happen. :)

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Soft tissue work is said to be beneficial in improving 'quality' of muscle. Just like mobility work is great for flexibility, soft tissue work is said to relieve nagging pains. As the weights have becoming significantly heavier, due to my training sessions progressing very well, I have noticed annoying these nagging pains after I squat. Although it is fair to say I am still a beginner (and many will disagree but they are, too) and I'm still perfecting my form, I seem to maintain good technique, so these pains are not injuries awaiting to happen. :)
Very well said, i figure i'll just start doing it because what else to do on the day off of training you know? My back is a little nagging so i know it'll help, I'll post back in here after i get mine!

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
So i got a tennis ball today and after just doing parts of my scapula my shoulder tension just disappeared! Same with this upper back tightness I've been having. For the win!