Continue GVT -or- Switch to 5x5?

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Hi, im Meat. Dont do drugs kids. Now that were past that. Ive been on GVT for the past month now, and ****s going great but im not sure that its the best program out there as far as strength. Im starting my Var cycle in 3 weeks and was wondering if i should switch over to 5x5, im pretty sure it would be a better program as far as strength, i could not give damn about size, im going for STRENGTH STRENGTH and more STRENGTH. As far as reading peoples progress with 5x5, ive read alot, but ive never seen it compared to GVT, just wondering wich one would be better for strength?

-The Meatus

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Bodybuilding.jpg

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Original GVT is not strength based at all and is a pure hypertrophy programme, it isn't even a functional hypertrophy programme.

If you want strength then 5 x 5 is definitely your best bet. Unless you are comparing it to advanced german volume training (10 x 5).

GLHF

GLHF

Awards
  • Established
Original GVT is not strength based at all and is a pure hypertrophy programme, it isn't even a functional hypertrophy programme.

If you want strength then 5 x 5 is definitely your best bet. Unless you are comparing it to advanced german volume training (10 x 5).
i dont know what functional hypertrophy is....its spelled program........have you done gvt (10 x 10 2super sets + 2x 3sets of 12supersets)? i think its GREAT fpr strength and size. it was also used by german powerlifters for 4-6 weeks as a "deload" period from a lower rep/set strength programs.

after GVT my flat bench was up from 275x3x10 to 295x3x10. 20lbs in 8weeks when training on a "not a strength program" is great, if this is not a strength program than idk what it is. BUT.....i would do West Side Barbell routine, enchanced with bands and CHAINS i ****ing love chains and whips and theyr also great for gaining strength.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established

So Advanced German Volume Training would be the best bet?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
@GLHF- yes, I have done GVT and AGVT. It is not aimed to be a strength programme. Many say that once they complete GVT they are actually slightly weaker on maximal lifts for a couple of weeks.

@Meatus- Advanced GVT is very good. A higher volume at the given number of reps so that should result in higher strength gains, assuming you can adapt to it.