Just finished Biceps (GVT Style!)

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Okay,i just thought i would share my success with German Volume Training,i just got done hitting my biceps,just curled with the E-Z curl bar,did 10 sets,10 reps each(well about the 7th set,its pretty much impossile to do 10 reps,so from the 7th set to the 10th it was more like 8 reps.) This **** is intense,your supposed to start out with a 90 sec rest interval,but ive always used 60 seconds. Also,theres a very strict form when using this,make sure your doing 4 secs going down,and 2 secs up.Just thought id share that with you people,if you havnt heard about GVT yet,heres a link.

Bodybuilding.com - German Volume Training!

This is the advanced version(i like the original posted above though)

T NATION | Advanced German Volume Training

rexkwondoe

Awards
Initial thought + comma + space + rest of thought + period = proper sentence structure. Haha, sorry man just fooling around.

GVT is awesome. The thought of doing it for biceps again makes my arms shrink in fear. Great training, physically and mentally.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I ****ing love it, the burn your arms will get on the 7th or 8th set,but you just have to push through it, i love it, my arms are sore as hell today, but thats just telling me its working.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
I'm still confused how to do these workouts.....

Like I gave it a shot...I did this....

10 set of 10 preachers curls
10 set of 10 bw rows
3 set of 10 standing curls
3 set of 10 bent over rows....

Is that right? I hope so... If so how would I do this for chest and tris?

Flat bench 10 of 10
Narrow press 10 of 10
Dumbell press 3 of 10
Tri push down 3 of 10

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
ok so im confused do you do supersets? because what i just did was the bench 10x10 with 90 sec rest then did pull ups 10x10 90 sec rest then did 3x10-12 with flys and 60 sec. rest then did 1 arm rows 3x10-12 with 60 sec rest is that wrong?

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I'm confused also here is what I did tonight....

flat bench 10x10
Right into 5x8 chest press machine... Heavy weight
Then 3x10 wide push ups..

Then

10x10 narrow press
5x10 press down
3x5 triangle pushups...

Followed by a mile run at a slow pace 6mph...

I know my arms and chest hurt durning see if they hurt tomorrow....

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
yea if you figure out anything let me know or if anyone knows please post because every thing i have read about gvt is confusing like i get the concept of fatigue and muscle failure and all that jazz but then i read super sets and also like 90 sec rest and i never see any example of supersets but it uses the word so im verry confused anyone that can help so i dont waste another workout if this is wrong thanks everyone

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
yea if you figure out anything let me know or if anyone knows please post because every thing i have read about gvt is confusing like i get the concept of fatigue and muscle failure and all that jazz but then i read super sets and also like 90 sec rest and i never see any example of supersets but it uses the word so im verry confused anyone that can help so i dont waste another workout if this is wrong thanks everyone
When I did gvt i pretty much only did 2 exercises per body part. For example for chest i would do 10x10 decline db bench, then 10x10 incline db press. Be careful of using too much weight. I worked in fhe 60-70% 1rm range. Gvt is good, but can get boring. It is also a fcking leg destroyer. Your legs will be so toast lol.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok so im confused do you do supersets? because what i just did was the bench 10x10 with 90 sec rest then did pull ups 10x10 90 sec rest then did 3x10-12 with flys and 60 sec. rest then did 1 arm rows 3x10-12 with 60 sec rest is that wrong?
Honestly I'm confused also here is what I did tonight....

flat bench 10x10
Right into 5x8 chest press machine... Heavy weight
Then 3x10 wide push ups..

Then

10x10 narrow press
5x10 press down
3x5 triangle pushups...

Followed by a mile run at a slow pace 6mph...

I know my arms and chest hurt durning see if they hurt tomorrow....
These are not a strict GVT routine. I will lay it out for you and hope to clear up confusion.

Sample chest and back routine:

A1) Barbell Bench Press 10 x 10 ¦ Tempo: 4-0-X-0 ¦ Rest: 90 seconds
A2) Chin Ups 10 x 10 ¦ Tempo: 4-0-X-0 ¦ Rest: 90 seconds
B1) Dumbbell Flyes 3 x 10-12 ¦ Tempo: 3-0-2-0 ¦ Rest: 60 seconds
B2) Dumbbell Rows 3 x 10-12 ¦ Tempo: 3-0-2-0 ¦ Rest: 60 seconds

Supersets are organised by letter and number scheme. All A exercises are performed in a circuit (superset when there are only two), all B exercises are the same.

You would do;
One set of Barbell Bench Press, rest 90 seconds
One set of Chin Ups, rest 90 seconds
One set of Dumbbell Flyes, rest 60 seconds
One set of Dumbbell Row (one on each side), rest 60 seconds

Tempos, 4-0-X-0 indicates a 4 second eccentric (lowering phase on all of these exercises), 0 second pause at the bottom, explosive concentric (raising portion on each of these exercises) and a 0 second pause at the top.
3-0-2-0 indicates a 3 second eccentric, 0 second pause at the bottom, 2 second concentric and a 0 second pause.

Notes: GVT is supposed to be a supserset system, not a straight sets system. If someone is doing 10 sets of chest, then 10 sets of back then this is not the proper GVT routine. This is also the same for people that do not pair antagonistic muscle groups and do two chest exercises for 10 x 10 rather than one chest and one back.

Charles said something like this to us "The problem with GVT is that many people change the recipe and think it is GVT. It is like using blueberries in an apple pie and still calling it an apple pie. It just isn't true".

I hope this helps!

Ben

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Ok got it makes more sense now.... Guess my workout was all wrong lol... Probally still a ok workout but not what it was suppose to be.... And I just wokeup it's 630am... Workedout was done at 10pm last night and I don't feel that sore in my chest or tris hopefully that's not a sign of it sucked ha.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
hey thanks alot ben that was the best way that gvt has ever been explained i appreciate it