Should I Take a Wide Grip or Close Grip for Lat Pulldowns?

pansori

Awards
I used both in my lat training. I use the DC method so i cycle between 3 exercises each week for my back width exercises. The three I use in theis blast are: wide pulldowns, close pulldowns, and weighted pullups. I like the close grip pulldowns because it really allows you to get a better ROM....

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good read, always enjoy reading your articles.

One thing I might add is to keep your elbows pointing slightly forward and to focus on touching them to your sides as you pull the bar down to the collar bone (not low chest).

Br

anoopbal

Awards
Thanks Zir Red!

I should have included that because many people just use their biceps to pull it down. I just wanted to emphasize how people ignore the major things and focus on the moor aspects. This is what you see in every other exercise forum.

cheesedips

Awards
Which grip is the optimal for developing your lat muscles? If you have thought about this before, then read the below article.
if your not able to do pullups then the close grip with v handle is best.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good read, always enjoy reading your articles.

One thing I might add is to keep your elbows pointing slightly forward and to focus on touching them to your sides as you pull the bar down to the collar bone (not low chest).

Br
Wouldn't you be using more bicep that way (which I feel would be counter to the idea of doing a lat pulldown in the first place)?

EDIT: I mean wouldn't keeping your elbows pointing slightly forward cause you to use more bicep

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wouldn't you be using more bicep that way (which I feel would be counter to the idea of doing a lat pulldown in the first place)?

EDIT: I mean wouldn't keeping your elbows pointing slightly forward cause you to use more bicep
No, if anything a little less since the wrist will be more pronated.
Keeping the elbows forward increases the length tension relationship of the lats..and thereby, should result in greater recruitment.

Br

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I tried ur tips today Zir and noticed a difference

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wide grip for Lat pull downs. if u wanna do close, either do pull ups or V Bar pull downs. always has worked for me.