Studying Abroad - Loss Of Muscle Worries

WeltallAY

Awards
Hello, like the title says I am studying abroad in Nantes, France for six weeks and will be in Paris for a week after. When at home I work out fairly rigorously (3 days lift, one day off, repeat) and use both Jack3d and Yok3d regularly. While I'm here in France I don't want to spend the whole trip in a gym yet I don't want to lose what I've worked so hard to attain. I managed to find one of the few gyms and it's a cool experience in terms of improving my French and meeting new people. It was 80 Euros for one month (rather expensive for me) so I need to get my use out of it. I will be gone for most of the weekends to travel.

Basically, how often would you all recommend working out in order to maintain what I have. Keep in mind that I am walking MUCH more than in my home country so that may "aid" in muscle loss.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Well regardless expect to lose some muscle. I would keep cals above maintenance, protein high of course. If it was me I'd probably just do 2 full body workouts a week if you are looking to not spend a lot of time in the gym. Use this time as a 6 week recovery period for your body.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello, like the title says I am studying abroad in Nantes, France for six weeks and will be in Paris for a week after. When at home I work out fairly rigorously (3 days lift, one day off, repeat) and use both Jack3d and Yok3d regularly. While I'm here in France I don't want to spend the whole trip in a gym yet I don't want to lose what I've worked so hard to attain. I managed to find one of the few gyms and it's a cool experience in terms of improving my French and meeting new people. It was 80 Euros for one month (rather expensive for me) so I need to get my use out of it. I will be gone for most of the weekends to travel.

Basically, how often would you all recommend working out in order to maintain what I have. Keep in mind that I am walking MUCH more than in my home country so that may "aid" in muscle loss.
If you're eating Maintenance or more, there is no reason why you will lose muscle mass. Walking can server as "cardio" if you're not used to it, and you can get quality resistance training done in 2-3 sessions a week (ideally ~3), sticking to Full-Body and doing the compound multijoint exercises only. You also don't have to train in a gym, but use your imagination and environment to do training. And a week off training is not going to hurt you either.

~Rosie~

T50

T50

Awards
  • Established
I didn't go abroad because of these reasons about working out/getting fat/losing muscle. Lol o well

WerdUp

Awards
Just eat and enjoy yourself may. When's the next time you will get to do something like this? Never? 2 Months won't make or break you. Don't waste your experience worrying you won't get to hit the weights for 6 weeks....

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just eat and enjoy yourself may. When's the next time you will get to do something like this? Never? 2 Months won't make or break you. Don't waste your experience worrying you won't get to hit the weights for 6 weeks....
Honestly, I think this is the best approach. I went to Spain for the whole summer one time and had such an amazing time. I lost nearly all my upper body muscle, but I'd do it all over again. Plus, my strength came back mostly in about 3 weeks, completely in a little over a month.

WeltallAY

Awards
Honestly, I think this is the best approach. I went to Spain for the whole summer one time and had such an amazing time. I lost nearly all my upper body muscle, but I'd do it all over again. Plus, my strength came back mostly in about 3 weeks, completely in a little over a month.
Thank you all for the replies, from the sound of it it seems like working out everything 2-3 times a week will be the best.

I also studied in Spain and loved it. However, it was for 4 months so I didn't want that long if a break. One thing I definitely prefer of Spain is the availability and size of gyms. I used Gymnasio 2000 and I loved it and didn't feel like it took a lot of my trip up.