Studying Abroad - Loss Of Muscle Worries

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.83%

Studying Abroad - Loss Of Muscle Worries

Hello, like the title says I am studying abroad in Nantes, France for six weeks and will be in Paris for a week after. When at home I work out fairly rigorously (3 days lift, one day off, repeat) and use both Jack3d and Yok3d regularly. While I'm here in France I don't want to spend the whole trip in a gym yet I don't want to lose what I've worked so hard to attain. I managed to find one of the few gyms and it's a cool experience in terms of improving my French and meeting new people. It was 80 Euros for one month (rather expensive for me) so I need to get my use out of it. I will be gone for most of the weekends to travel.

Basically, how often would you all recommend working out in order to maintain what I have. Keep in mind that I am walking MUCH more than in my home country so that may "aid" in muscle loss.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  244 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.05%

Well regardless expect to lose some muscle. I would keep cals above maintenance, protein high of course. If it was me I'd probably just do 2 full body workouts a week if you are looking to not spend a lot of time in the gym. Use this time as a 6 week recovery period for your body.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.83%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by WeltallAY View Post
    Hello, like the title says I am studying abroad in Nantes, France for six weeks and will be in Paris for a week after. When at home I work out fairly rigorously (3 days lift, one day off, repeat) and use both Jack3d and Yok3d regularly. While I'm here in France I don't want to spend the whole trip in a gym yet I don't want to lose what I've worked so hard to attain. I managed to find one of the few gyms and it's a cool experience in terms of improving my French and meeting new people. It was 80 Euros for one month (rather expensive for me) so I need to get my use out of it. I will be gone for most of the weekends to travel.

Basically, how often would you all recommend working out in order to maintain what I have. Keep in mind that I am walking MUCH more than in my home country so that may "aid" in muscle loss.
    If you're eating Maintenance or more, there is no reason why you will lose muscle mass. Walking can server as "cardio" if you're not used to it, and you can get quality resistance training done in 2-3 sessions a week (ideally ~3), sticking to Full-Body and doing the compound multijoint exercises only. You also don't have to train in a gym, but use your imagination and environment to do training. And a week off training is not going to hurt you either.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.99%

I didn't go abroad because of these reasons about working out/getting fat/losing muscle. Lol o well
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.28%

Just eat and enjoy yourself may. When's the next time you will get to do something like this? Never? 2 Months won't make or break you. Don't waste your experience worrying you won't get to hit the weights for 6 weeks....
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by WerdUp View Post
    Just eat and enjoy yourself may. When's the next time you will get to do something like this? Never? 2 Months won't make or break you. Don't waste your experience worrying you won't get to hit the weights for 6 weeks....
    Honestly, I think this is the best approach. I went to Spain for the whole summer one time and had such an amazing time. I lost nearly all my upper body muscle, but I'd do it all over again. Plus, my strength came back mostly in about 3 weeks, completely in a little over a month.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.83%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Honestly, I think this is the best approach. I went to Spain for the whole summer one time and had such an amazing time. I lost nearly all my upper body muscle, but I'd do it all over again. Plus, my strength came back mostly in about 3 weeks, completely in a little over a month.
    Thank you all for the replies, from the sound of it it seems like working out everything 2-3 times a week will be the best.

I also studied in Spain and loved it. However, it was for 4 months so I didn't want that long if a break. One thing I definitely prefer of Spain is the availability and size of gyms. I used Gymnasio 2000 and I loved it and didn't feel like it took a lot of my trip up.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Original Ergo 1-AD from abroad...
    By biggfly in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
  2. Quick fat loss and little muscle loss?
    By rrm in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
  3. weight loss w/o muscle loss
    By axekick in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 03:41 PM
  4. Trips abroad; maybe Korea
    By phaeton66 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 03:23 PM
  5. Replies: 19