can you get big without training legs?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people at my gym have been asking me this....i have my answer, but i am curious to what the AM world thinks. might i add, getting big naturally.....without juice.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, at least when i was in highschool, you dont get to show off your legs unless you compete.....im not saying i dont train them now, but im explaining the other side....i made consistent gains without legs and im making consistent gains with doing legs.

the point im getting to is this: people at the gym who have decent upper bodies but dont train legs as me why they should train legs if they are making good gains without doing them and can have that potential leg day OFF or work on a lacking body part.

what do you think t-bone

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
No.

/thread -GICH

gav86

Awards
  • Established
yes.... well sorta lol
i dont really train legs, as in i dont have a leg day, but i stil squat and do some strength training on my calves as well as bike ride and my legs are still growing despite not really putting a whole lot of effort into them. i dont really want my legs to get any bigger so i can keep wearing jeans

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Training the upper body and ignoring the legs turns people into light bulbs. They just look top-heavy.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed, but look at this way....most ppl dont compete or wear speedos when swimming.....if you have decent size calves, what would be the point? these are the questions i get at the gym...sure squats release test and all, but for a 21 year old or a teen who has high test already, they dont care about that fact at all. if you wear pants mostly, and calves arent little sticks, is there a reason to devote a whole day to legs?

thoughts? i just dont know what to tell these guys lol

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
When you train legs you hit the core muscles. Seems to me you need to train legs

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people at my gym have been asking me this....i have my answer, but i am curious to what the AM world thinks. might i add, getting big naturally.....without juice.
MOST people - no, especially since squats are the primary compound exercise to help with adding muscle mass, and neglecting Legs stunts their progress re muscle accretion. The very small minority - yes, and I am one of those people, and have in fact STOPPED training Legs for some time now, and getting better results for me personally.

~Rosie~

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
My legs are my pride and joy. Right now I dont have a designated leg day but the are mixed into my schedule. I believe training legs early in the week drives the rest of the weeks routine. Squats are known to be a big test booster too.

I just can't see why you would ignore a crucial part of your body. Wouldn't you want a complete physique?

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
I suppose you could, but why would you want to look like a human cheese wedge?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have no clue....i train legs, dont get me wrong. i just see pretty big ppl at the gym who are already thick and only do squats and deads and thats it. no other leg workouts. which makes sense cause they dont compete so they dont need their legs ripped like there back.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have no clue....i train legs, dont get me wrong. i just see pretty big ppl at the gym who are already thick and only do squats and deads and thats it. no other leg workouts. which makes sense cause they dont compete so they dont need their legs ripped like there back.
well, a) thats not "not doing legs", they are working legs with squats and deadlifts. So maybe not a whole day of just legs with a variety, but they aren't unworked and b) "guys who are already thick" doesn't mean they did the same workout to get that way, just that its what they are doing now.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, you can, but you look like a giant Y. Obviously, they won't have nearly as much overall LBM as they would if they did train legs, but most lay people only gauge another persons physique by their upper body

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For men, big torso + little legs = eunuch.

Things are different for women though - we actually keep my wife's leg training to a minimum (powerlifting and conditioning), since her legs seem to grow very rapidly.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
this is stupid, when you train the legs HARD it can stimulate growth in other areas of the body via testosterone surges, and GH pulses.

anyone who works their upper body and thats it is no different than the guys who work their chest and bi's only

morons

/end rant

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
lol @ lightbulbs, cheese wedges, giant Ys...

i live in jersey.... most gyms around here are full of guidos who stay on test/dbol/deca year round and dont lift legs at all..... it seems they are only concerned with training what the girls can see in the club.... arms/chest/traps........ i see people do hip-thrust hammer curls with 110lb dbs and claim they are strong

[video=youtube_share;RZXb-U7vRmM]http://youtu.be/RZXb-U7vRmM[/video]

its sad that i can curl what their 1rm squat is......

your legs are THE most important area of the body to be trained.... if theres one exercise i would do, it would be squats.... then maybe deads... then pullups..... chest/bis are last in the order of importance (but they are all important)

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube_share;ojX-3-v7cx8]http://youtu.be/ojX-3-v7cx8[/video]

tried to post a vid... didnt work

Burkes88

Awards
The fact that many people that you see in the gym do not work their legs is reason enough in itself... Stand Out. I have gotten many compliments from chicks and guys alike on my calves. Come summertime don't think that females don't notice a nice set of quads and toned ass from all the SLDLs and Squats you pumped out all winter.

Aesthetics aside, your legs contain some of the strongest and largest muscles in your body, there's tons of untapped weight there. Not to mention the extra stability that it can give you to do that one extra curl or pushdown, in turn helping you to build your upper body more rapidly. You'd be hard pressed to find an effective leg exercise that did not strengthen your core in some way.

Work the legs man, it's too easy not to and does really have may benefits. The goal of lifting is to get strong, be in shape and look good... Right? So why neglect any part of your body from these things?

superlift

superlift

Awards
I dont know why anyone would ever do this. Yes you can get big, but not near as big as you could if you train legs.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I do squats 3 times a week. I do deads once or twice a week depending on what week I am on. That is all you really need for legs honestly. If you are into isolation work then thats all good and well, but don't say you squat and do deads but then say you don't train legs lol.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Aesthetics aside, your legs contain some of the strongest and largest muscles in your body, there's tons of untapped weight there.
This is especially true for people that are trying to add muscle mass to help keep fat off. It's the quickest and easiest way to add lean mass if you train right (squats, deads) imo.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
yeah, some dude in my gym benches like 430ish. huge uppper body prolly couldnt squat 135 to save his life.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, a) thats not "not doing legs", they are working legs with squats and deadlifts. So maybe not a whole day of just legs with a variety, but they aren't unworked and b) "guys who are already thick" doesn't mean they did the same workout to get that way, just that its what they are doing now.
well no crap. im saying a full leg day

Rick Swizzle

Awards
Listen, u can difinitley get big w/out training leg's, i mean it's always good to try for a goal tht would give u a complete physique, and training heavy legs does in your test levels, so it's not a bad thing to do, but if your like me, u gotta be mobile, i mean i gotta be able 2 move & thats pretty hard to do for a few days aftr a nice heavy leg session, i would sggst to hit thm indirectly, such has on like a stairmaster or biking, but again to answer you question, yeah u can difiniftley get big w/out training legs

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
well no crap. im saying a full leg day
on leg day.... all i usually do is squat... maybe throw some walking lunges or leg press in..... and i consider that a "full" leg day.....

i do alot of sets.... and heavy

luluxiu

Awards
I do not have a leg day, but I STIL squat, do some strength training on my legs and ride a bike, my legs are still growing, even though they did not really put all the energy a lot.Cheap RS Gold I do not want my legs really get any bigger, so I can continue to wear jeans...

Pearl12

Awards
just reading this is getting me stoked for legs tomorrow, im gonna cripple myself for 4 days. Gonna be sweet

HeavyReps17

Awards
Of course you can get big naturally without training legs and without juice but it's a personal thing i guess,
Squats and dead's are muscle building classics proven to be great for your core and releasing added test into your body. Legs are hard to train and most people are lazy and make up an excuse as to why they don't do it anymore.
Shut up and Squat!!!

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yeh, you can but, squats really rev up test, if for nothing other than that is why people do them. Any one in competion does them. Any one training should at least do a couple sets of squats, doesnt have to be heavy, as a first exercise. JMO

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Yes you can get "big" without training legs, isn't that obvious? About 40% of people that go to the gym (guys) have huge upper bodies and no damn legs, another 50% are somewhat big upper with no damn legs and only 10% have both; it is called brown hornet syndrome.

You will also look like a fool with pencil legs and a big upper body unless you have a medical reason, train lower and upper.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yeh, agreed, ya have to do at least a couple sets of squats even if their light, for hormone elevation and circulation. If ya dont one day ya realize that from the waist down ya look like an old guy.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Using Dumbells is easiest, both exercises in one rep,

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive made some of the best gains in my life without training legs. I was unable to train them for several years do to a severe injury and no insurance (I couldnt even run for several years.) I had periods of serious training where my upper body's progress was great during this time.

Fortunately I had many years of leg training prior to the injury, and I was able to recover well after a couple years of patient leg training after my injury recovered.

If you can do legs, do them...if your not I just dont get it.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, at least 2 sets of squats as first exercise even dumbell sissy squats. The knees and lower back are vulnerable, sissy squats on a smith machine is really cool and safe. I think machines are best to exercise legs safely.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed, at least 2 sets of squats as first exercise even dumbell sissy squats. The knees and lower back are vulnerable, sissy squats on a smith machine is really cool and safe. I think machines are best to exercise legs safely.
I completely disagree. I use zero machines for legs and think they're inferior to free-weights in terms of efficacy and safety.

My entire lower body training consists of deads (several variations), box/back squats, lunges, good mornings, and Bulgarian split squats.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I completely disagree. I use zero machines for legs and think they're inferior to free-weights in terms of efficacy and safety.

My entire lower body training consists of deads (several variations), box/back squats, lunges, good mornings, and Bulgarian split squats.
Sounds great ! I wish I could do lunges, but the knees wont handle them any more, not everybody can do those exercises, lower back and knee injurys, make it difficult, machines help in avoiding overstress of lower back and knees. Thats all

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds great ! I wish I could do lunges, but the knees wont handle them any more, not everybody can do those exercises, lower back and knee injurys, make it difficult, machines help in avoiding overstress of lower back and knees. Thats all
Proper technique also helps. Most people (99.9999%) cannot do a proper squat to save their lives. Done correctly, the weight and stress is mainly on the hips. Machines actually predispose the body to further injury because the ROM and angles are fixed.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yeh, with no gym dumbells work well enough for my goals as far as those exercises. The best thing about them is they rev up for the work out, I mean yer using so many muscle groups for squat even if their sissy squats and it gets yer heart beatin fast, more endorphin release,

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Just a matter of using good form, a good plan and paying attention to what your doing.

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
in my opinion, big legs are a symbol of power. Why would anyone want a huge upper body and no legs?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I dont know what point your making here, but cruel disdain is not an option.