does anybody workout on the empty stomach? I do - AnabolicMinds.com

does anybody workout on the empty stomach? I do

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

does anybody workout on the empty stomach? I do

I workout first think in the morning no protein no breakfest and get good results. My workouts are great energy levels up. Iam loosing fat and gaining streangth. I always have whay after workout no carbs.

Makes me wonder am I the only one? All my friends are like wtf since I have so much energy at the gym.

Iam 173 12-13 bf% 6ft

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by marcink99 View Post
    I workout first think in the morning no protein no breakfest and get good results. My workouts are great energy levels up. Iam loosing fat and gaining streangth. I always have whay after workout no carbs.

Makes me wonder am I the only one? All my friends are like wtf since I have so much energy at the gym.

Iam 173 12-13 bf% 6ft
    Quite a few people here (and beyond) train fasted for various reasons -- here's a few articles that you might be interested in that describe some the benefits of training in a fasted state!

(1) Fasted Training Boosts Endurance and Muscle Glycogen -- http://www.leangains.com/2010/05/fasted-training-boosts-endurance-and.html

(2) Fasted Training For Superior Insulin Sensitivity and Nutrient Partitioning -- http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/fasted-training-insulin-sensitivity.html

So no, you're not the only one.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

I have a scoop of protein before I work out. But I work out in the afternoon.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i eat like 2 hours before and have a some mixture shake i brew 30mins prior
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

My early AM workouts are usually around five in a fasted state. I do drink BCAAs on my way to the gym and during my training though. I'm not sure if that is actually considered fasted or not
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

I have to time it so I deadlift no more and no less then 3 hours after I eat. If I eat too soon before I deadlift I feel like I'm going to throw up and having reflux makes this worse. If I deadlift hungry my stomach hurts.
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I eat 1.5-2 hrs pre-wo and have some bcaa before and or during the session. I like eating more then not eating.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    I eat 1.5-2 hrs pre-wo and have some bcaa before and or during the session. I like eating more then not eating.
    I hear ya. I workout after my last meal at night and have my protein shake afew hours before bed.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

I eat somethin light about 2 hours before workin out and have a protien shake about an hour before. If I eat too soon before any kind of exercise I get sick.
  10. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by marcink99 View Post

Iam 173 12-13 bf% 6ft
    You're not the only one who trains fasted, first thing, no - there are many on this forum who do this, myself included. I have been doing this for years now out of personal preference, having trained unfasted for multiple years as well, and mixing it up, etc. Energy and strength are not affected by training fasted or unfasted. Nor is my progress or results and I have no trouble achieving ANY body or performance goal that I set myself.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Its usually a scoop of blend protein and sesame oil for me. I lift as soon as I wake up.
    BCAA's, liver enzymes are right next to my alarm clock when I wake
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  12. New Member

If you absolutely couldn't eat before weight training then personally I would at least try to drink a whey shake on the way to the gym or something.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I eat 2+ hours before so my stomach is fairly empty when I train. I always use BCAAs though while training.

1 hour before I try to have a shake. My workouts are pretty intense, I don't think I can do them first thing in the morning completely fasted. I try to train for a combination of strength/hypertrophy/anaerobic conditioning though.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

I prefer to workout fasted, first thing in the morning. I wake up at 6, on weight training days have BCAAs during workout. On cardio days, just water. One cup of coffee afterwards, then off to work. Lunch is the first meal I eat. I adopted this from one of the LeanGains protocols.

I don't get hungry anymore, particularly on cardio days.
  15. New Member

No way I could workout on an empty stomach. I feel totally drained with no food in my system, but thats just me.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSeeMe View Post
    No way I could workout on an empty stomach. I feel totally drained with no food in my system, but thats just me.
    Me too, plus I get real cranky when I get hungry lol.
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I used to lift everyday at 7am, fasted. Had better results (strength and endurance wise) when I stopped doing this.

Fasted AM cardio is where it's at though...going to start this up again once I get myself a weighted vest.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Honestly, if you're experiencing good results from working out on a fasted stomach, you'd probably see even better results if you had some form of pre-workout nutrition. I can't workout on a empty stomach, so I like to eat something very light before I lift, like a piece of toast and some protein powder (you can mix with a little skim milk for the added casien and a time-release effect).

If anything else, get a decent intra-workout product (something with BCAAs) that you can sip on before and during your workout so that you're supplying your muscles with a constant supply of amino acids. If you need amino acids and you're not supplying them through nutrition, your body will get them from the muscle tissue you've already got.

So even if you don't want to eat a light meal before working out, at least get some BCAAs to sip on! There would be no reason not to expect even better results!!!
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Intensity & strength definitely goes up when your body is fueled. If people are worried about nutrient partitioning, there are supps for that to increase insulin sensitivity, and ways to tweak the diet for this.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  20. New Member

Weights I eat before hand...... Cardio I just have some aminos
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Not happening for me. I need atleast 2 meals in before I have optimal energy for a workout. You are what they call "a morning person".
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Thanks for all the replies. Iam not really a morning person. I work nights I go to sleep anywhere between 2-3 wake up at 10am and go to gym. I do realize that everyone is different but I truly believe that I experience the best results in a fasted state. Bf seems to be down to 11.2% based on the scale and strength goes up I hope to his single digit bf soon...
  23. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    You're not the only one who trains fasted, first thing, no - there are many on this forum who do this, myself included. I have been doing this for years now out of personal preference, having trained unfasted for multiple years as well, and mixing it up, etc. Energy and strength are not affected by training fasted or unfasted. Nor is my progress or results and I have no trouble achieving ANY body or performance goal that I set myself.

~Rosie~
    I have done both and have found that my strength is not affected weather I'm in a fasted or fed state. However, I have definitely noticed a difference in workout intensity, endurance, and quality, with all of them being better in a fed state.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Full Workout in the Morning on an Empty Stomach
    By Theipodpeople in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 07:33 AM
  2. sd on empty stomach?
    By dess in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
  3. Workout on full or empty stomach?