does anybody workout on the empty stomach? I do

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
I workout first think in the morning no protein no breakfest and get good results. My workouts are great energy levels up. Iam loosing fat and gaining streangth. I always have whay after workout no carbs.

Makes me wonder am I the only one? All my friends are like wtf since I have so much energy at the gym.

Iam 173 12-13 bf% 6ft

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I workout first think in the morning no protein no breakfest and get good results. My workouts are great energy levels up. Iam loosing fat and gaining streangth. I always have whay after workout no carbs.

Makes me wonder am I the only one? All my friends are like wtf since I have so much energy at the gym.

Iam 173 12-13 bf% 6ft
Quite a few people here (and beyond) train fasted for various reasons -- here's a few articles that you might be interested in that describe some the benefits of training in a fasted state!

(1) Fasted Training Boosts Endurance and Muscle Glycogen -- http://www.leangains.com/2010/05/fasted-training-boosts-endurance-and.html

(2) Fasted Training For Superior Insulin Sensitivity and Nutrient Partitioning -- http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/fasted-training-insulin-sensitivity.html

So no, you're not the only one. :)

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
I have a scoop of protein before I work out. But I work out in the afternoon.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i eat like 2 hours before and have a some mixture shake i brew 30mins prior

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My early AM workouts are usually around five in a fasted state. I do drink BCAAs on my way to the gym and during my training though. I'm not sure if that is actually considered fasted or not :thinking:

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I have to time it so I deadlift no more and no less then 3 hours after I eat. If I eat too soon before I deadlift I feel like I'm going to throw up and having reflux makes this worse. If I deadlift hungry my stomach hurts.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I eat 1.5-2 hrs pre-wo and have some bcaa before and or during the session. I like eating more then not eating.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I eat 1.5-2 hrs pre-wo and have some bcaa before and or during the session. I like eating more then not eating.
I hear ya. I workout after my last meal at night and have my protein shake afew hours before bed.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I eat somethin light about 2 hours before workin out and have a protien shake about an hour before. If I eat too soon before any kind of exercise I get sick.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Iam 173 12-13 bf% 6ft
You're not the only one who trains fasted, first thing, no - there are many on this forum who do this, myself included. I have been doing this for years now out of personal preference, having trained unfasted for multiple years as well, and mixing it up, etc. Energy and strength are not affected by training fasted or unfasted. Nor is my progress or results and I have no trouble achieving ANY body or performance goal that I set myself.

~Rosie~

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Its usually a scoop of blend protein and sesame oil for me. I lift as soon as I wake up.
BCAA's, liver enzymes are right next to my alarm clock when I wake

superlift

superlift

Awards
If you absolutely couldn't eat before weight training then personally I would at least try to drink a whey shake on the way to the gym or something.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I eat 2+ hours before so my stomach is fairly empty when I train. I always use BCAAs though while training.

1 hour before I try to have a shake. My workouts are pretty intense, I don't think I can do them first thing in the morning completely fasted. I try to train for a combination of strength/hypertrophy/anaerobic conditioning though.

Pbc11

Awards
I prefer to workout fasted, first thing in the morning. I wake up at 6, on weight training days have BCAAs during workout. On cardio days, just water. One cup of coffee afterwards, then off to work. Lunch is the first meal I eat. I adopted this from one of the LeanGains protocols.

I don't get hungry anymore, particularly on cardio days.

YouSeeMe

Awards
No way I could workout on an empty stomach. I feel totally drained with no food in my system, but thats just me.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
No way I could workout on an empty stomach. I feel totally drained with no food in my system, but thats just me.
Me too, plus I get real cranky when I get hungry lol.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to lift everyday at 7am, fasted. Had better results (strength and endurance wise) when I stopped doing this.

Fasted AM cardio is where it's at though...going to start this up again once I get myself a weighted vest.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Honestly, if you're experiencing good results from working out on a fasted stomach, you'd probably see even better results if you had some form of pre-workout nutrition. I can't workout on a empty stomach, so I like to eat something very light before I lift, like a piece of toast and some protein powder (you can mix with a little skim milk for the added casien and a time-release effect).

If anything else, get a decent intra-workout product (something with BCAAs) that you can sip on before and during your workout so that you're supplying your muscles with a constant supply of amino acids. If you need amino acids and you're not supplying them through nutrition, your body will get them from the muscle tissue you've already got.

So even if you don't want to eat a light meal before working out, at least get some BCAAs to sip on! There would be no reason not to expect even better results!!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Intensity & strength definitely goes up when your body is fueled. If people are worried about nutrient partitioning, there are supps for that to increase insulin sensitivity, and ways to tweak the diet for this.

appleyard777

Awards
Weights I eat before hand...... Cardio I just have some aminos

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Not happening for me. I need atleast 2 meals in before I have optimal energy for a workout. You are what they call "a morning person".

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Thanks for all the replies. Iam not really a morning person. I work nights I go to sleep anywhere between 2-3 wake up at 10am and go to gym. I do realize that everyone is different but I truly believe that I experience the best results in a fasted state. Bf seems to be down to 11.2% based on the scale and strength goes up:) I hope to his single digit bf soon...

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're not the only one who trains fasted, first thing, no - there are many on this forum who do this, myself included. I have been doing this for years now out of personal preference, having trained unfasted for multiple years as well, and mixing it up, etc. Energy and strength are not affected by training fasted or unfasted. Nor is my progress or results and I have no trouble achieving ANY body or performance goal that I set myself.

~Rosie~
I have done both and have found that my strength is not affected weather I'm in a fasted or fed state. However, I have definitely noticed a difference in workout intensity, endurance, and quality, with all of them being better in a fed state.