Everybody!! FORM/EGO CHECK!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I now consider myself to be a grown man in the world of lifting :thumbsup: ..I sat down today and did myself a favor. I thought long and hard about my form in the gym, and whether or not the gym fucks affect my lifting efforts. I'll be the first to admit that I want to be the biggest, and strongest in the gym, but starting today those ideas are suppressed once I start my workout!

Today rather than using 50 lb DBs for reps (not really :blink: ) on curls, I grabbed 20 lb DBs and did 12 nice and SLOW reps. No more shoulder shoulders flying for me, no more half squats trying to use all the weight in the gym. FROM HERE ON OUT, PERFECT FORM FOR ME..

How is your form?!?! Honestly??

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it really makes a huge difference. I've always tried be the strongest guy in the gym and form wasn't as much of a priority as weight was. After realizing that my lats didn't look very symmetrical, I've really tried to focus on form. Also I've had some injuries that form probably contributed to, some were immediate injuries and some developed over time.

Form comes first.

lvtrojan

Awards
i hear ya...

Honestly i was that way (trying to outlift everyone)....until i had hernia surgery :blink:

That sucked so bad, that now i really dont care what the guy next to me is doing. I had to start off doing squats again with the bar only, maybe a 5 or 10 for balance. With the ego totally crushed and lying on the floor, ive learned to concentrate A LOT more on form, and now im better off for it.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Form follows function. I've had the old ego-check before after I put myself out of commission with shoulder impingments/bursitis. Not only did I have to re-evaluate form but I had to think seriously about training everything more evenly and taking extra time to do some deep stretching.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
My surgery has kinda broke me of that also but thanks for the reminder..

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Partial tear on my left pec from going too heavy on bench too fast. Definately have better form nowadays.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Awsome lesson,Back to Basic's... :goodpost:

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
From day 1 I've been about form over weight... The weight comes with time and effort... proper form will let you lift long enough to acheive that.

ManBeast

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
From day 1 I've been about form over weight... The weight comes with time and effort... proper form will let you lift long enough to acheive that.

ManBeast

Amen to that, and with the increased TUT you put your muscles under, muscle growth with become reality instead of a dream.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

ManBeast

Beast,Im gonna start calling you master Zen you keep coming up with this stuff,,,Awsome post bro... :goodpost:

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recently increased my weight on a lot of exercises. I thought I was being anal with my form actually. The owner of the gym came up to me and said "I just thought I would let you know, your form on those squats is perfect". I am gonna lower the weight on my squats and maybe some other exercises..I saw some idiots at the gym recently. One kid was doing squats on the smith machine, with an ultra wide stance, he was only going about 1/4 way down, one guy was going between flat bench and incline, only going down about 3 inches with about 1 second reps and lifting his body off the bench. Now that just makes me want to lower my weight and improve my form.

Chunky

Awards
I always thought that the form wasn't that important : big mistake. NOw, even when Im lifting for fast or slow reps, I always put form first. Like one said, thanks for the reminder :)

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When you're not using perfect form, you're cheating yourself out of the maximum benefit from each lift. Bobo's program broke me of the habit of "throwing up" the weights. When your form is right you're training the different muscle fibers and getting twice the benefit--so to speak--from your workouts. I call it the "humble man's workout"...but I'm loving the results :D !!!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes die trying it felt really good, but after that I thought to myself, "I must be being really anal about my form" Then I increased the weight and went a tad bit looser on form. I am going back to being anal about form from now on and forever damn it!.

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
I have always said it's not how much weight you use, it's how you use the weight. I am def one of it not the strongest people in my gym, but I really do not care about that. I use what I have to to stay in the rep ranges I need to be in.

the_destroyer55

Awards
I have had to drop a lot of weight as I have been doing the DC program. Perfect form and complete control of a very slow negative are the staples of the program. While I had to drop weight, I have added LBM while cutting on the DC program.