What's considered a relativity heavy front squat?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I know heavy is relative, but I was wonder since no one talks about front squat records just back squats, what is considered to be heavy? I mean this in the sense that people consider 300-400 on the bench to be heavy in general and anything over that to be really heavy and 400-500 on the back squat to be pretty heavy.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Over 1x bodyweight is fairly heavy for front squats, I can't recall seeing anyone hit even 1.5x bodyweight with them

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
365 at a BW of 237 is my personal best. I spent several months focusing on front squats as my primary lower body lift. Make sure the form is solid and learn to hold the bar Oly style, it helps.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
365 at a BW of 237 is my personal best. I spent several months focusing on front squats as my primary lower body lift. Make sure the form is solid and learn to hold the bar Oly style, it helps.
Yeah I wasn't going ;ow enough before and I think that hurt my knees. I tried 125 two weeks ago(injured my tricep or some kind of nerve around that area taking a week off) and I got almost ass to grass. I'm going to go down to 115 and see how that works. I noticed when I do a full squat without weight and go all the way down my knees feel good, but if I don't go all the way down it feels awkward and uncomfortable. My goal is anywhere over 300. I'm 240, but want to drop down to about 220-225.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Me personal best are at bw of 185, 225x10 and 275x2

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Weighing between 225-230 I hit 405 for 5-7 reps once or twice a month. I normally hit 315x10-12 reps. I always use knee wraps and a belt at 315 and up. I switch from front squat to normal squat every other week.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Over 1x bodyweight is fairly heavy for front squats, I can't recall seeing anyone hit even 1.5x bodyweight with them
I can name at least one, Ronnie Coleman. He has a ****ton of videos hitting 800 and up for doubles. It's been a while since I checked YouTube but the first page was all dude hitting some big weight! I think there's a video of a dude repping over 600.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I am just doing front squats right now. I had trouble doing back squats since I had a muscle imbalance. It's corrected now but I still can't do low bar squats only high bar but it feels uncomfortable...Funny I had a dream once I was front squatting 405, maybe a sign of things to come maybe lol.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I am just doing front squats right now. I had trouble doing back squats since I had a muscle imbalance. It's corrected now but I still can't do low bar squats only high bar but it feels uncomfortable...Funny I had a dream once I was front squatting 405, maybe a sign of things to come maybe lol.
That's focking funny! Keep at it but remember it's ain't all about the weight! Although I will admit when I was 45 pounds lighter I used to think 3-4 plates on each side of a barbell looked so bad ass!! Now it's like meh..

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I wasn't going ;ow enough before and I think that hurt my knees. I tried 125 two weeks ago(injured my tricep or some kind of nerve around that area taking a week off) and I got almost ass to grass. I'm going to go down to 115 and see how that works. I noticed when I do a full squat without weight and go all the way down my knees feel good, but if I don't go all the way down it feels awkward and uncomfortable. My goal is anywhere over 300. I'm 240, but want to drop down to about 220-225.
Push your knees out to the side. As a taller guy myself, pointing my toes out and making sure my knees go out is what keeps my knees healthy and pain free. Shorter guys can point their toes straight ahead, we (or at least I) can't.

Weighing between 225-230 I hit 405 for 5-7 reps once or twice a month. I normally hit 315x10-12 reps. I always use knee wraps and a belt at 315 and up. I switch from front squat to normal squat every other week.
I am freaking impressed. I've seen a couple of guys hit 405 for singles or doubles on front squats, but that's about it. Bravo! :clap2:

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Push your knees out to the side. As a taller guy myself, pointing my toes out and making sure my knees go out is what keeps my knees healthy and pain free. Shorter guys can point their toes straight ahead, we (or at least I) can't.

I am freaking impressed. I've seen a couple of guys hit 405 for singles or doubles on front squats, but that's about it. Bravo! :clap2:
Thank you, sir.

FYI I squat (and dead lift) with the same form as you stated. Sometimes I stand wide but lately shoulder width. I focus on pushing my chest out and pushing my heels thru the floor on my way up. That way you won't fall forward lol ... Been there ;)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established

I'll post a video once my friend comes up here from Virgina. I do have my knees pointed out, but sometimes it feels like one of my knees is off, like one more in front without me knowing until I squat. When that happens I'll have pain in one knee only. I have a minor curve in my spine, I wonder if this is throwing me off balance. I have to squat with shoes since I have flat feet.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hit 375 for 5 in my prime powerlifting years at about 225 pounds.

You want to see some impressive front squats though, check out the elite competitive olympic lifters. You'll see 160 pound guys front squatting in the 400's

Br