Pbc11

Awards
Hi Everyone, first post here.

Some basics:

Gym Experience: 1.5 years
Weight: 175
Height: 5'11"
Supplements: Protein, Creatine, occaisional preworkout drink, Fish Oil, Multi

I've recently stalled on week 8 of the Madcow Intermediate 5x5. I stalled two weeks ago on shoulder press and this past week on bench. I have been reading that it might be time to reset. I guess I'm curious of everyone's opinion of this particular iteration of the 5x5 workout scheme.

I've had great results, probably because I've never really "trained" squats, bench, deads and overhead before. My previous gym experience consisted of low weight, high rep training to failure with lots of circuits and cardio. I never saw results like I have these past 8 weeks.

To illustrate, here is my progress (still weak, I know)

Squat (5 reps) 135->185
Dead (5 reps) 125->180
Bench (3 reps) 135->155
Overhead (4 reps) 75->105
Bent over BB row (5 reps) 95->135

How does my progress look so far? Just want to bounce this off some people who may know better than I. On non-weight days, I do 45 minutes of cardio, usually a combo of running/cycling or elliptical. Occasional HIIT.

Thanks for any input! Looking forward to learning a lot on this forum.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
just reset the BP and the OHP, they will usually be the first lifts to stall anyways beause you're not using as big of muscles like on SQ or DL.

progress looks good so far, jus make sure you're eating like a horse and you can milk this program for a while.

i trained a friend using this program. brand new to lifting same heigh but 180lbs.

3 months he was at this...
bp 95 > 185
sq bar > 245
dl 135 > 315
ohp bar > 115
bb row 65 > 155

jus keep eating lots and you'll get pretty far quickly

Pbc11

Awards
Thanks.

I will reset BP and OHP and go from there.

I've been doing the assistance work suggested in the program. Should I do assistance pressing exercises once a week? Right now, the assistance is like this:

Monday- hypers and situps
Wednesday- situps
Friday- dips, tricep pushdown, bb curls

Would adding something like Arnold press in there help with the pressing movements? Or
is it too much?

I only ask because his program emphasizes NOT adding additional work, and I don't want to
F with it too much.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
um id prolly adbvise against it for now until you get a little stronger, you'll prolly be over working the muscles and have a harder time progressing.

heres another version of 5x5, its from IRON ADDICTS and it looks pretty solid. I have never tried this but im gonna have my friend be a guinnea pig for it on monday

Monday
A chin or lat pull-down using 5 x 5, 4 x 6, or 10 x 3 No rowing done this day as deadliftts follow
A curl—because, well, everyone expects them—lol.
Deadlifts 5 x 5 using either a pyramid or fixed weight. Fixed weights are better tolerated by people with good/great recovery
Ab or calf work

Wedesday
Bench press 5 x 5 using a periodized model starting light on week one working to a peak and unloading. Uses a pyramid starting light and working to a top set. Also done s a reduced ROM bench movement for 1 x 3- 3 x 4
Shoulder rep work
Tricep rep work

Friday
Rowing movement using a static weight 5 x 5—VERY demanding during the latter weeks.
Squatting using a static weight 5 x 5—VERY demanding during the latter weeks.
Glute/hams for some lifters.
Ab or calf work if desired

Sunday
Bench press using a static weight for 5 x 5
Shoulder rep work
Tricep rep work
Can do additional chest rep lift if needed.

After 3-5 weeks a deload is done for all 5 x 5’s, either reducing reps or sets. Rep work can stay the same but at my discretion may be reduced.

Pbc11

Awards
Wow that looks pretty good too. I like how it places emphasis on the different days. I'm going to save that on my desktop for the future.

Thanks GeekPoop. Let me know how that works out for your boy and maybe I'll do that next.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Wow that looks pretty good too. I like how it places emphasis on the different days. I'm going to save that on my desktop for the future.

Thanks GeekPoop. Let me know how that works out for your boy and maybe I'll do that next.
np man, i wish i woulda found this template when i did 5x5 lol. i think its set up pretty good, as long as you follow the 5x5 progression pattern

i shall do! he brand new so we shall see what he can do