should I really continue to run when trying to gain muscle mass? - AnabolicMinds.com

should I really continue to run when trying to gain muscle mass?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

should I really continue to run when trying to gain muscle mass?

Hello,
    So I've been running and lifting weights for about 8 months now. Initially, my primary (and perhaps lone) goal was to lose the innertube that I carried around my belly. I've made much progress on this goal, going from about 5'9", 195 pds to about 170 pounds. While I'm delighted with my strides, I have increased my lifting regime and want more results with muscles. I still have some gut to lose, so continue running probably about 3-4 times a week, reducing it only to about 2-3 miles etch run. Anyhow, I fear that my running has stymied my muscle production, although I've read several conflicting views to this stance. Any suggestions? I want to improve muscles mass, I lift etch muscle group for about an hour 1 time a week, so I'm putting in the effort, but haven't seen the muscle production I desire.

2. Advanced Member

Your best shot to continue running and preserve muscle is to do HIIT. Google it for lots of great advice. It stands for High Intensity Interval Training which means you alternate very high intensity cardio bursts with low intensity breaks.

You can do this for shorter durations than your steady state cardio while losing fat and protecting against muscle atrophy.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel10 View Post
    Hello,
    So I've been running and lifting weights for about 8 months now. Initially, my primary (and perhaps lone) goal was to lose the innertube that I carried around my belly. I've made much progress on this goal, going from about 5'9", 195 pds to about 170 pounds. While I'm delighted with my strides, I have increased my lifting regime and want more results with muscles. I still have some gut to lose, so continue running probably about 3-4 times a week, reducing it only to about 2-3 miles etch run. Anyhow, I fear that my running has stymied my muscle production, although I've read several conflicting views to this stance. Any suggestions? I want to improve muscles mass, I lift etch muscle group for about an hour 1 time a week, so I'm putting in the effort, but haven't seen the muscle production I desire.
    There is nothing wrong with running if you want to gain muscle mass - you just have to make sure that you are covering your energy needs and THEN SOME. I personally run ~3 miles 3-6 days a week and have no issues gaining muscle mass if I want to. If you're not gaining, then you're either not eating enough for it, period, or, if you are eating enough, not training correctly for it.

If you want gains, then you need to eat enough for them, and you won't gain muscle if you're not eating for it, period! NUTRITION and TRAINING are the two factors that you need to focus on. FOOD, FOOD, and MORE FOOD is going to be IMPORTANT - if you want muscle gains, you needs to EAT for it!

Next to nutrition for mass is training. You have to be training correctly for mass - check out the article How To Maximize Mass Through Weights And Adaptation for an idea of how to train correctly for mass. And although The Essential 8 is in the fat loss section, the same exercises that are best for fat loss are also the best for gaining muscle! You also need to get adequate recovery, since it's in your RECOVERY that you GROW (if you are eating enough).

I recommend having a training programme (AND nutrition plan - can't forget your nutrition, since that's what is going to make or break your success with gaining muscle mass!) written specifically for YOU for your goals and needs. If you can't afford a professional trainer, then take some time out to research and look around, because there is a TON of information on training for mass!

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

I do lots of conditioning and am on a bulk. I think it is perfectly fine
    ACSM-CPT
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    There is nothing wrong with running if you want to gain muscle mass - you just have to make sure that you are covering your energy needs and THEN SOME.
    Spot on. I threw on 15lbs in about 2 months last summer running and training (ok, so they were kind of newbie gains ).

The best thing you can do is down some protein after a run if you're trying to gain. Ideally maybe even run before a meal, so you could do something like drink protein after the run, and then eat what you would normally eat.

Similar Forum Threads

1. should I really continue to run when trying to gain muscle mass?
    By tarheel10 in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 11:31 AM
  2. Looking to gain muscle mass... please help!
    By ragincajun023 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 11:58 AM
  3. Muscle Mass Gain Question
    By IrishRugby34 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 02:02 AM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
  5. gain weight and muscle mass?
    By heisler27 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10