Broken Barbell

GaDawgs29

Awards
Just last night I was working out and my barbell collar came unscrewed from the weight part of barbell. This is not the barbell collar that holds the weight secure its the one that the weight meets when you first put it on the bar. Now it wont screw back on. Its either striped or broke im not sure which. Has anyone had this happen to them before and know how to fix it?

Im hoping to not have to buy a new one but if thats my only fix then guess thats it.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Not sure - but I would guess that a mig welder would sort it out - if you got a mate with one.....

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just last night I was working out and my barbell collar came unscrewed from the weight part of barbell. This is not the barbell collar that holds the weight secure its the one that the weight meets when you first put it on the bar. Now it wont screw back on. Its either striped or broke im not sure which. Has anyone had this happen to them before and know how to fix it?

Im hoping to not have to buy a new one but if thats my only fix then guess thats it.
One of our barbells here is like that - that part is completely broken out (or off, whatever way you want to look at it), but the barbell itself is still usable, although not the one I use if I'm only doing one exercise requiring a barbell. If I'm doing a superset or alternate set, etc. where I need a barbell for both exercises, I sometimes use it - you just have to show the weight right up to it and push the end to make sure it connects and completes. If it's a huge issue, just weld it back together.

~Rosie~

GaDawgs29

Awards
One of our barbells here is like that - that part is completely broken out (or off, whatever way you want to look at it), but the barbell itself is still usable, although not the one I use if I'm only doing one exercise requiring a barbell. If I'm doing a superset or alternate set, etc. where I need a barbell for both exercises, I sometimes use it - you just have to show the weight right up to it and push the end to make sure it connects and completes. If it's a huge issue, just weld it back together.

~Rosie~
Thanks Rosie! yea ive basically got it snugged back together, but not welded. Still does its job but if it gets to be a major problem then going to have to weld it.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie! yea ive basically got it snugged back together, but not welded. Still does its job but if it gets to be a major problem then going to have to weld it.
No worries :) Another thing I do if using that barbell for something is to alternate my sets re the broken side (i.e. first set it's on the right, the next on the left, etc.), to ensure that I am "balancing" out and not making one side work more (if applicable), if you know what I mean.

~Rosie~

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Rosie you’re a rather amazing individual. You hang around these forums with all of us crude guys listening to all the foul language and viewing all lewd pictures yet you maintain your feminity never lowering yourself to our level. You have my respect.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
If it ever does become too much of a pain in the ass or if you ever get a new bar, you could always use it to beat the **** out of a tire/your lats with.

joedf

Awards

You can get a shaft collar for it. They just slide onto the bar and tighten down with an allen wrench.