Getting heart rate up?

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering why its hard sometimes(yesturday) to get my heart rate up before lifting.

I didn't feel that great all day been out in sun all week working .
I had a re-feed the day before so thought i'd have all kinds of energy just the oppisite.

But i burned alot less cals lifting(100+)did lift alittle heavier by 5lbs on my lifts but im doing a circuit type routine.

It took alot just to get my h/r to 120bpm and only hit 154 during w/o.
my trainer is out of town and he said let him know if i had trouble with this.
Anybody know if im getting in better shape or overreaching?

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Wait, so you're trying to get your heart rate up before you start lifting? How exactly are you going about doing that? Also, is your primary goal to lose fat or build mass? I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking.

Beyond those questions, doing a couple of lengthy sprints should be enough to increase your heart rate significantly.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was wondering why its hard sometimes(yesturday) to get my heart rate up before lifting.

I didn't feel that great all day been out in sun all week working .
I had a re-feed the day before so thought i'd have all kinds of energy just the oppisite.

But i burned alot less cals lifting(100+)did lift alittle heavier by 5lbs on my lifts but im doing a circuit type routine.

It took alot just to get my h/r to 120bpm and only hit 154 during w/o.
my trainer is out of town and he said let him know if i had trouble with this.
Anybody know if im getting in better shape or overreaching?
Do a few efforts re cardio, or run for ~10 minutes before starting lifting if you want to get your heart rate up. As far as heart rate DURING resistance training - it's not going to go that high, and when it does, it will be prolonged in increasing since lifting efforts are not that long and not really long enough to get it up, even if you are lifting heavy.

As far as how many calories you burn during resistance training - I don't know why people bother looking at how many calories they burn during training, period, but that's just me, since what you burn during a session is NO indicator of how many overall calories that session is going to burn overall (unless you did low-low intensity steady-state cardio, and then it probably is, but is also dependent on the individual).

A low heart rate or difficulty in getting heart rate up in situations when it would normally be high or increase quickly can be indicative of many things, including but not limited to recovery, sickness, etc. If you are an athlete and monitor your resting heart rate daily first thing on waking, this will give you the best indicator of whether you are normal (i.e. stay the same), increasing fitness (i.e. get lower), and getting sick or overreaching (i.e. 5-10 beats higher than normal), etc.

~Rosie~