Why would 185 feel heavier then.....

jamieruggiero

Awards
This happens to me alot, and im trying to find the answer to why 185 bench or squat would feel heavier then when I bench or squat 225.

Why would this feel this way to me?

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
to me when the weight is kinda light but not very light it actually hurts my joints more. I don't know why but it does. But when I go heavy I don't feel joint pains anymore. But that only happens to me, well mostly, on squats.

I don't know the science behind it though, sorry. Hopefully someone on here can make an input on this.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I imagine you're not warmed up enough yet/warmed up properly.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When your warming up your still getting acclimated to the weight

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With everything but heavy legs, I not only warm up, but I like to do a single with my working set then rest briefly before actually doing the set. I've found this has helped me tremendously with my progress especially on a calorie deficit. I guess it's a way to make extra sure I've warmed up, though it also helps offset any CNS burnout effects, too, allowing me to put off a deload so to speak (it's always psychological to me, I dont get joint problems).

EDIT: my heavy squats aren't so heavy anymore LOL ;( but I'll get back up in time. I just feel that if I do 1 and rack it, I wont want to do it ever again that day.

mmaz03

Awards
This happens to me alot, and im trying to find the answer to why 185 bench or squat would feel heavier then when I bench or squat 225.

Why would this feel this way to me?
warming up issue for sure

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's focus. Most training injuries in PL'ing happen during the sub-maximal weights because you're not treating them properly. Hell, the worst hamstring injury I've ever had was a direct result of this same thing about 4 years ago. I was working up to a set of 405 on deads and was just going through the motions in my warm-up sets. At 315, I still was nonchalant and ended up straining my hamstring bad enough to where it took over 6 months to properly heal.

adamlau

Awards
It's focus....during...sub-maximal weights because you're not treating them properly.
I completely agree with this assessment and have found that as soon as I prioritize the technical aspects of the lift, that lower weights begin to feel as they should.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I completely agree with this assessment and have found that as soon as I prioritize the technical aspects of the lift, that lower weights begin to feel as they should.
You have to. If you can't maintain good form with lower weights, think what will happen with heavier weights.