losing my mind

hitstick42esu

Awards
So can someone please tell me why my Traps just suck.. They'll get to a certain size and then as my other parts continue to grow, the traps dont get any bigger. Im going crazy trying to figure out what Im doing wrong and what workout I should do for them. Anyone out there have any tips or workout suggestions?
Thanks,
Vlad

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Most peoples like myself grow easily so that is kinda unusual for you to struggle. I'm assuming youce been doing shrugs? Rack dead lifts helped mine grow fast.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Do you deadlift? Mine grow best with deads. Maybe your shrug form is bad?

hitstick42esu

Awards
Im tellin ya guys..I shrug, I love deads, I rack Pull, PowerCleans, Snatches. Pretty much I love every exercise that should make my traps huge, but there still normal looking. Maybe you guys can give me some workouts and how many times I should train them.. If things dont look up, Im debating on dedicating my now off day to a traps day. Yes thats how desperate I am haha

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Im tellin ya guys..I shrug, I love deads, I rack Pull, PowerCleans, Snatches. Pretty much I love every exercise that should make my traps huge, but there still normal looking. Maybe you guys can give me some workouts and how many times I should train them.. If things dont look up, Im debating on dedicating my now off day to a traps day. Yes thats how desperate I am haha
What rep range are you working them? Try changing up the rep range, angle of attack, time under tension.

hitstick42esu

Awards
What rep range are you working them? Try changing up the rep range, angle of attack, time under tension.
Shrugs:4x8-12 2x a week (mix them up with BB, DB, Behind back)

Deads: 6-8 sets of 3-5

Cleans/Snatches: same as deads

Rack Pull: sometimes replace deads, same rep/set range as deads

Idk, I only do 8 sets of shrugs a week so maybe a little more would be better. I havent done more thinking that all the other lifts would help, but apparently they arent. However I do like the point of more time under tension, ill give that a shot. How do you work your traps?

Thanks,
Vlad

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Higher reps work for mine. On shrugs I use explosive concentrics, a hard second flex at the top, then a slow eccentric. That method has been working for me.

hitstick42esu

Awards
Higher reps work for mine. On shrugs I use explosive concentrics, a hard second flex at the top, then a slow eccentric. That method has been working for me.
Thanks for the tip, Ill give it a shot. ill boost up my reps a little bit. We'll see how it goes

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Shrugs:4x8-12 2x a week (mix them up with BB, DB, Behind back)

Deads: 6-8 sets of 3-5

Cleans/Snatches: same as deads

Rack Pull: sometimes replace deads, same rep/set range as deads

Idk, I only do 8 sets of shrugs a week so maybe a little more would be better. I havent done more thinking that all the other lifts would help, but apparently they arent. However I do like the point of more time under tension, ill give that a shot. How do you work your traps?

Thanks,
Vlad
Like you, 4x8-12 DB, BB, behind the back. I too, am not happy with my traps, so I just keep finding ways to shock them. When I started doing behind back, I found that sparked some new growth.

I also found performing incline shrugs helped.

hitstick42esu

Awards
Like you, 4x8-12 DB, BB, behind the back. I too, am not happy with my traps, so I just keep finding ways to shock them. When I started doing behind back, I found that sparked some new growth.

I also found performing incline shrugs helped.
Hmm, Incline shrugs?? I like the sound of that, can you explain?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, Incline shrugs?? I like the sound of that, can you explain?
Sit reversed on an incline bench, so you chest is against the pad. And shrug as you would normally shrug. I workout alone so its hard to get situated using heavy db's, so I use lighter weights, and squeeze the **** out of my traps.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
2 words neck work... train your neck as well

hitstick42esu

Awards
So i looked the incline shrugs up after you mentioned them right before I went to train, and lemme say I f*ckin love em! traps havent felt this way in a very long time.. Thanks for the help my man.. and steel, what do you do for your neck work? I used to do alot of neck bridges for mma but stopped, are you talking about stuff like that?

Thanks guys,
Vlad

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
So i looked the incline shrugs up after you mentioned them right before I went to train, and lemme say I f*ckin love em! traps havent felt this way in a very long time.. Thanks for the help my man.. and steel, what do you do for your neck work? I used to do alot of neck bridges for mma but stopped, are you talking about stuff like that?

Thanks guys,
Vlad
Neck bridges, harness work, neck curls all of that. I do all my neck and trap work in one big circuit. I have it in my journal

hitstick42esu

Awards
to be honest, I kinda forgot about doing neck work..I guess I figured that since my new gym doesnt have any neck machines or harnesses, screw it. Ill get back to doing them though, your neck could never be to thick in my eyes yano

Thanks man,
Vlad