What do you think of my new routine?

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
... A friend of mine recommended me starting doing more high volume lower frequency... In the past i've always trained each bodypart twice or 3x a week... So would like your feedback on my first real volume routine and what you think of it for growth and strength

MON : Chest & Triceps
Bench Press 4 X 6-8... 3 min rests
DB Incline Press 4 X 8-12... 2 min rests
Chest Dips 4 X 12 - 15...1,5 min rests
Pec Deck 4 X 15-20... 1 min rests
Cable Tricep Pushdowns 4 X 12-15...1,5 min rests
OH DB Extensions 4 X 15-20....1 min rests

TUE : Quads, Calves & Abs
Squat 4 X 6-8...3 min rests
Hack Squat 4 X 8-12... 2 min rests
Leg Extensions 4 X 12 - 15...1,5 min rests
Smith Machine Calf Raise 4 X 12-15...1,5 min rests
Cable Crunches 4 X 15-20....1 min rests

THU : Shoulders & Traps
DB Shoulder Press 4 X 6-8...3 min rests
Wide Grip Upright Rows 4 X 8-12... 2 min rests
Seated Side Laterals 4 X 12 - 15...1,5 min rests
Rear Pec-Deck 4 X 15-20....1 min rests
DB Shrugs 4 X 15-20....1 min rests

FRI : Hams, Calves & Abs
Stiff-legged DL 4 X 6-8...3 min rests
Lying Leg Curls 4 X 8-12... 2 min rests
Seated Calf Raise 4 X 12 - 15...1,5 min rests
Hanging Leg Raise 4 X 15-20....1 min rests

SAT : Back & Biceps
Pull-Ups 4 X 6-8...3 min rests
Cable Row 4 X 8-12... 2 min rests
Wide-Grip Pulldowns 4 X 12 - 15...1,5 min rests
Machine High Row 4 X 15-20....1 min rests
Ez-bar Preacher Curl 4 X 12 - 15...1,5 min rests
DB One-Arm Preacher Curl 4 X 15-20....1 min rests

Any pointers or advice? Thanks in advance

crux

Awards
I'll let others comment on the volume of sets and exercises per day (seems a bit high to me), but my main suggestion is to incorporate some external rotations for the RC and alternate in some traditional deadlifts and rack pulls. I am also not a fan of upright rows due to the potential for impingement, but that's your business. If you do them, in addition to using a wide grip, don't go above nipple height.

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
I'll let others comment on the volume of sets and exercises per day (seems a bit high to me), but my main suggestion is to incorporate some external rotations for the RC and alternate in some traditional deadlifts and rack pulls. I am also not a fan of upright rows due to the potential for impingement, but that's your business. If you do them, in addition to using a wide grip, don't go above nipple height.
Thanks for the response!

Yeah i'll have too look into some of those RC external extensions, should they be with heavy weight to failure or just really light?

Nah i'm not really a fan of the uprights myself for the very same reason you aren't, but i figured i needed another good shoulder "width" movement in my routine... Maybe i'll change it to another press or another variation of laterals...

For the deads i was thinking since i do stiff-legged and squats it would be too much on the lower back with another exercise that stresses that area

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
And maybe i'll change it to 3 sets per exercise, that would lower volume significantly

crux

Awards
Thanks for the response!

Yeah i'll have too look into some of those RC external extensions, should they be with heavy weight to failure or just really light?

Nah i'm not really a fan of the uprights myself for the very same reason you aren't, but i figured i needed another good shoulder "width" movement in my routine... Maybe i'll change it to another press or another variation of laterals...

For the deads i was thinking since i do stiff-legged and squats it would be too much on the lower back with another exercise that stresses that area
I would probably just sub the deadlifts in every other week to keep from overtraining, but it's up to you.

As for RC externals, advice given to me by a strength coach is to start light but to make it your goal to be able to do 8 reps of 10% of your single rep max on benchpress with strict form. (if you can press 300 pounds your goal should be 30 lbs for 8 reps) Some on here may disagree with that goal, but that is what I've been doing and I have had very few shoulder issues since I started building my RC strength. For an example of the movement that I use, search "External Rotation on Knee" in youtube.

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
I would probably just sub the deadlifts in every other week to keep from overtraining, but it's up to you.

As for RC externals, advice given to me by a strength coach is to start light but to make it your goal to be able to do 8 reps of 10% of your single rep max on benchpress with strict form. (if you can press 300 pounds your goal should be 30 lbs for 8 reps) Some on here may disagree with that goal, but that is what I've been doing and I have had very few shoulder issues since I started building my RC strength. For an example of the movement that I use, search "External Rotation on Knee" in youtube.
How many times a week should one do this and should one do it in the beginning or towards the end of the workout? Should it substitute an existing exercise in the routine or added? How many sets is sufficient? I would assume this exercise is performed to ensure proper shoulder health and more specifically that of the rotator cuff, right?

crux

Awards
How many times a week should one do this and should one do it in the beginning or towards the end of the workout? Should it substitute an existing exercise in the routine or added? How many sets is sufficient? I would assume this exercise is performed to ensure proper shoulder health and more specifically that of the rotator cuff, right?
I do it once to twice a week for 3-4 sets. You could do light sets to wake up your Rotator cuff pre-press, but I think doing them at the end of the workout works best for me. I usually do them on either chest or shoulder day later in the week after my heavy presses are done.

These are good injury prevenyion if your RC is healthy. For people already with RC issues, they should go very light for rehabbing.

hitstick42esu

Awards
hey man, Im not going to say that you would overtrain with the original workout..of course if you know how to train effectively. What I mean is that, yes you do have a ton of volume (somewhat more than what I do), but I will say that if you can keep the intensity consistent throughout the workout then it can be done. BUT, in order to do this routine and see great gains and refrain from over training, you MUST and I mean you must EAT, SLEEP, SUPPLEMENT, DELOAD (when needed), and oh yah..EAT!

Also, Ide like to add that for your arm training (since im guessing you want some boss like arms) haha. Do this, train your biceps and triceps as a BB would early in the week on preferably monday but no later than monday and tuesday. By lifting arms like a BB, I mean do your usual 4 sets of 8-12 for a given exercise and train with the amount of sets that your body needs. I dont predetermine sets anymore, I just lift as hard as possible and then get to the point when I know my body part has received its max load. After doing this early in the week, do both bi's and tri's on friday or saturday (you want to do them together, but if you dont like this do bi's one day and tri's the next like this. Ill give you the example with bis and tris done together so you can just seperate them if you do them seperate. Hour long workout (work bis one set and then tris the next set, dont lift bi's for the first half of the workout then tris the last)(do as many sets that you feel is necessary in the 15 minute time frame): 0-15 minutes Concentrated Curls with DB tri overhd ext. 10 to 16 reps 15-30 minutes BB curl with close grip bench 10-16 reps 30-45 minutes Incline DB curls with EZ BAR Incline Skull crushers 10-16 reps 45-60 mintues Double Ronnie Colemans (Standing Double Cable Bicep Curls) with weighted TRI dips (Stay straight up as possible) 10-16 reps. Do this and I promise you, your arms will blow up. Best arm workout ive ever done. This is done since you heavier weight lower reps are done early in the week and your arms also receive work from your compound movements and then you end the week with a hell bent pump workout that fills your arms with so much blood and nutrients that it forces them to grow. And yes you wont be able to move your arms at all after this workout. Sorry for such a long post, but just trying to give ya some tips and all that good stuff to help ya out boss.

Hope this helps,
Vlad